Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Grand Marquis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #31
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blue)(Fusion Send a message via Yahoo to Blue)(Fusion
Re: 2001 steering wander, constant correcting

If it's pulling to one side and not returning to center, that sounds like the caster is out of spec. Most alignment shops don't touch caster, some not even camber. If you have the print out of caster, camber, and toe, what are the values for the front wheels? And if done properly, you should have have values for the rear tires which can not be changed, but still checked. The rear wheel thrust angle is important in determining how to align the front tires on a live axle RWD vehicle.

BTW, if you go for a 2003+ you should not have these problems since it was upgraded to a rack and pinion setup which does not wear like the recirculating ball system in 2002 and older. And the suspension is improved all around.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
- 119k / 14.89s @ 92.11MPH [ pictures | videos ]
> Dual Flowmaster Delta 40s / J-Mod / PI Intake Manifold & Cams / Marauder Air Box & 80mm MAF / 3.55 Trac-Lok
> Bumper Tuck / Steeda UD Pulleys / CVPI Zip Tube / Ported & Polished Plenum / BBK 70mm TB
> BOC 93 Octane Tune / Headlight Relay Upgrade / 17mm rear stabilizer bar / Heinous Aluminum Billet Rear Control Arms
> CVPI aluminum driveshaft

Blue)(Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #32
lesab92
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlex View Post
Thanks for the update BlueFusion. I watch this thread for updates and I am bummed that your Dads car wanders even with the Handling package. I was waiting for this info before I commited to purchasing a HPP gear box and doing the swap. Maybe I will skip it now.
I am getting "used" to the terrible "handling" and I think I am stuck now anyway since selling it with gas going above $4 to who knows how high might be tough. -Brian-
BrianAlex, Anything new on your 2001 Grand Marquis? We took a 200 mile trip yesterday. Our GM still wants to pull left, and more so when in left lane. I'm thinking of taking the car to a Mercury dealership.
lesab92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #33
lesab92
AF Newbie

I had just about given up on our 2001 MGM and was trying to sell the car. I had mentioned to our regular mechanic that the MGM handled poorly and seemed to veer left or right depending on the road you were driving on. His initial thought was lower ball joints as he had seen this before on some cars. He agreed to drop the tie rods and see if in fact one or both of the lower ball joints was the culprit. He even said he would not charge me if he could not find anything.

When he called to tell me the problem was the idler arm, I was surprised. After all, I had taken previously the MGM to a “professional” alignment shop. This “professional” alignment shop had aligned the car initially and told me the problem was solved. A month or so later I had taken the car back to that same shop and they replaced the idler arm and the car was still handling weirdly. I was bascially told that the car had sat too long and the front end was stiff. The shop made me feel like it was all in my head.

Well here’s the problem. Ford design the idler arm with a bushing system that just gets tighter and tighter as you approach the recommended 50 ft. lbs. of torque on the nut. So the solution was to lube up the whole thing good before assembly and back off the nut (one flat) or to about 40 to 45 lbs before inserting the cotter pin. I was also told that the “professional” shop had not even cleaned up the shaft before installing the new idler arm. It all makes sense to me as why would the idler arm have to be that tight to begin with. All the idler does is help to guide the center link. Perhaps when these cars were brand new with all fresh parts, the 50 lbs of torque was just enough for the bushing to wear a bit during the break-in period and then the steering would be tight, but not crazy tight.

I would suggest that anyone who has a steering issue to at least consider that part of the problem, if not the whole problem, is the idler arm being way to tight. You would need to drop both tie roads to check this out. And I believe that MOOG makes a replacement Idler Arm that has a different bushing system that helps aleviate this problem and even has a grease fitting. I may even consider changing to the MOOG idler arm as it should work great as long as it is lubed regularly.

In any event, we’ll be keeping this MGM as it drives beautifully now. Now I gotta figure out why the headlights come on when the switch is in off position.

Last edited by lesab92; 04-25-2011 at 04:50 PM.
lesab92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:35 AM   #34
BrianAlex
AF Newbie

Lesab92,glad you got that fixed up and I hope you are enloying your ride now.

I think your problem was slightly different from mine.

Today I bumped up the pressure in all tires to about 38-39 psi and went for a 170 mile ride and on the freeway it is just barely acceptable but is 40% better).

I also got an alignment last week (it's first ever) and toe was out of spec on both and the right camber off a hair.

I think I'll keep the car now. Yes it's a barge but I'm stuck with it.-Brian

Last edited by BrianAlex; 07-04-2011 at 01:49 PM.
BrianAlex is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Grand Marquis