Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 07:00 AM   #16
mason_RsX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to mason_RsX
When the new mustang was first unveiled I really liked it but was worried ford would go cheap and underpower it...but after looking at those numbers I am even more impressed with it

As for the comparison I think any of us would gladly have any of the cars listed, and its too hard choosing one over the others objectively...

2002 Acura RSX Type-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGNAL748
I have an outrageously large penis.
mason_RsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:47 AM   #17
syr74
AF Regular

Re: Re: 05 Mustang GT versus....350Z, Evo, WRX, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman10587
Hehe, I can't believe the Mustang really used that chassis for 25 years straight. I'm gonna miss it...time for Mustangs to move on up, mainly in price
Actually, as an fyi, the 05 Mustang seems to be stickering for slightly less than comparably equipped 04 models. "Base price" looks bigger, and is, because more items are standard on the 05 than on the 04. But, once you start adding things like leather seats, and 6 disc CD this one seems to be less expensive feature to feature!

However, even with a slightly lower msrp I serously doubt the new car will ever offer the rebates seen on the outgoing model. And also, just as in the new Vette, a lower msrp means good p.r. but could simply be a sign of a less significant markup on a car that costs the dealer as much or more to buy. So, in the end you will almost certainly be dropping a bit more out of pocket. But, not much.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:12 PM   #18
syr74
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: 05 Mustang GT versus....350Z, Evo, WRX, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_S
I'm pretty sure they have dropped the Mach 1 label since it was just a limited run thing. I have a feeling that the next non-Cobra specialty car will be a GT-350/GT-500 remake due to Shelby being back with Ford and all. I could be wrong though.

As for the Automatic numbers, I have to say I am really impressed. When they were guessing 13.9-14.1 for the manual GT times, I was pretty sure it would be around that due to increased weight. I can't wait to see what the real manual GT times will be.

Ford has insinuated on more than one occasion that there would be a Mach-1 done on the new for 05 platform. Ford has also said, once or twice, that the new Cobra would debut before any other major special edition cars. Finally, SVT is saying that the Cobra will be an early 07 model year offering and not an 06 model year car as was rumoured. So, it looks like there will be a Mach-1, but if Ford is to be believed, do not look for it before calender year 2,006 at the earliest.

Of course, everything any auto maker says is to be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:27 PM   #19
Sean_S
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: 05 Mustang GT versus....350Z, Evo, WRX, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74
Ford has insinuated on more than one occasion that there would be a Mach-1 done on the new for 05 platform. Ford has also said, once or twice, that the new Cobra would debut before any other major special edition cars. Finally, SVT is saying that the Cobra will be an early 07 model year offering and not an 06 model year car as was rumoured. So, it looks like there will be a Mach-1, but if Ford is to be believed, do not look for it before calender year 2,006 at the earliest.

Of course, everything any auto maker says is to be taken with a grain of salt.
Ah good enough. I hadn't read that. Behind on things I guess. Have they said what the Mach 1 would be? Engine-wise mostly is what I am asking. (4v as opposed to 3v?)

Sucks about the 07 Cobra. That's a bit of a gap. Hopefully they will fill it with a Mach 1.
Sean_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:54 PM   #20
syr74
AF Regular

Re: 05 Mustang GT versus....350Z, Evo, WRX, etc.

Not really, more has leaked on the next Cobra than on the Mach-1 or other potential special editions. . It is a known fact that there will be a Shelby Mustang done on the new car, but nobody really knows anything about what this will be either.

Some rumours say the next "Cobra" will be the Shelby-badged car. If so, it may not even be called the Cobra, but GT350 or GT500....who knows? Ford is tight-lipped as hell and that is the only really sure thing for now.

Rumours also say a 5.4L naturally aspirated Mustang has been seen being tested around Ford, and that would seem to be a logical Mach-1 replacement. However, there is not a lot to back them up and they are very vague at best. Do not get me wrong, I do not doubt for a second a n/a 5.4L is being tested in an 05 pony and this part is pretty solid. But, nobody seems to have a clue as to what it is so that part is very sletchy.....your guess is as good as anyone elses.

Other rumours speculate that the Mach-1 will get a heavily revised version of the 03/04 Cobra's blown 4.6L, which would fit the 04 Mach-1's "SVT hand me down" approach to engine and suspension. However, IMHO it is very unlikely that Ford could make this motor avoid the gas-guzzler tax the 03/04 Cobra got stuck with so I am skeptical. This one also died a long time ago which tells me if it was a possibility then costs or gas mileage killed it.

We do pretty much know that the Cobra's replacement is getting a blown 5.4L, wether that be SOHC/3 valve (as in the Lightning) or DOHC/4 valve nobody is certain. "Light weight" will also be a focal point of the new "Cobra" as well since SVT boss Coletti has said 500hp is about all you can get away with in these cars and lighter wieght is the key to getting more.

Lastly, with the new Mustang GT's 300hp rating, and the next Cobra pretty much known to be getting 500hp, a lot of folks think Ford is "stepping" these cars out evenly and that the next Mach-1 will be around 400hp. This seems logical and fits perfectly with a revised version of the blown 4.6L or a naturally aspirated 5.4L that sucks 92 octane wether it be 3-valve or 4-valve.

Either way, expect the new Cobra to be beyond bad-ass from what we can see of the 05 Mustang GT so far.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:43 PM   #21
Savage Messiah
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Savage Messiah Send a message via Yahoo to Savage Messiah

Hopefullythe rumors all hold themselves true, in 07 there'll be a nice big ol' american muscle showdown

194k miles-160* thermo-V8 shocks/springs (V6 rear springs)-3" Magnaflow !cat (3" dynomax bullet) back-SLP CAI-stock boxed LCAs-poly tranny mount and torque arm bushing-custom HPTuners tuning-4.10s/eaton/TA girdle-3.5" alum DS-spohn LCA brackets-prostar skinnies

179.75 RWHP, 204.52 RWTQ

ON ITS WAY: MORE

R.I.P. Andy

87 Benz 190e - DD

01 EX250 - still gotta get my license for this thing
Savage Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:08 PM   #22
Sean_S
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 05 Mustang GT versus....350Z, Evo, WRX, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97CamaroRS
Hopefullythe rumors all hold themselves true, in 07 there'll be a nice big ol' american muscle showdown
I am hoping that the Cobra will be more of a track oriented car then a muscle minded one. I mean, it's nice to have the old Ford vs Chevy power thing, but idealistically it would be good for Ford to have something that can at least keep up with the Evolution, Sti, and C6. I don't think it will be z06 territory, but a Ford guy can dream.
Sean_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:48 PM   #23
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

Well, we've already got the GTO, the Magnum, and the 300C, with the Charger on the way and the Chevelle probably coming back too. So even without the Camaro and/or Firebird, there's gonna be one hell of a showdown.

Anyways, I'm glad that they finally got a 3-valve SOHC setup on the GT. the 2-valve design seemed kind of anemic, but it's hard to criticize the 3-valve design, since Mercedes-Benz has been using it religiously for over a decade.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:03 PM   #24
syr74
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: 05 Mustang GT versus....350Z, Evo, WRX, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_S
I am hoping that the Cobra will be more of a track oriented car then a muscle minded one. I mean, it's nice to have the old Ford vs Chevy power thing, but idealistically it would be good for Ford to have something that can at least keep up with the Evolution, Sti, and C6. I don't think it will be z06 territory, but a Ford guy can dream.

I do not think I would say that. According to SVT the next Cobra will have a blown 5.4L and 500hp. Also it will, dynamically speaking, be on a mission to "out M3" the BMW M3. Finally, Ford has said publically the next Cobra is the car they intend to go after the Viper and any "super Vette". This is all according to Ford and SVT...not just rumour. Ford wants to give us a Cobra with the every day utility and brilliant handling of an M3, more hp/tq than a Viper, and classic Mustang looks, style, and character. I'll take it.

And, we already know that SVT can handily deliver the motor to accomplish this from the soon to debut Lightning and GT supercar. (both are over 500hp, the GT is actually over 600hp despite it's 550hp rating) We also know the new Mustang platform is rigid as a rock, and that Ford's control blade IRS design is absolutely world class. (this is the IRS design most likely to find a home in the new Cobra) I find no reason to believe that Ford cannot easily field a Cobra that is a real world beater.

If Ford gets anyhere near their goal the standard C6, STi, and Evolution might as well keep it on the porch. When the new snake really does debut my prediction is that a lot of mouths will be hanging wide open in amazement .
Old 09-30-2004, 03:32 PM   #25
Skyline_R32_Canada
AF Enthusiast

sorry to get off topic, but just check out the sti and evo mr times! damn dead even!

rhumour had it that the evo mr was supposed to be high 12's, but i guess not!

Skyline_R32_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons