Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 07:10 PM   #1
Lindacars
AF Newbie

Red face losing water/over heating...HELP

I have a 1989 Dodge Caravan and I need a real smart guy that knows a lot about my Caravan.
I am in new person in a Very Small North Dakota town and I know no one and I only have my caravan to get me around. I drove 30 miles yesterday to buy gorcery and for the first time the red temperture light came on and I pulled over and parked it right away and after two hours I was able to fill the almost empty radiator back up and just headed home. I have had my caravan for 7 years and take great care of it and I hate knowing that she is in pain and I just don't know what to do. Today I put in a new thermastat and refilled the radiator and just let it run for about 10 minutes, There was smoke coming out of the rear muffler exhaust and from the exhaust by the engine and I think water is getting into the exhaust, "do you think the head is cracked" Please tell me it isn't. I can do a lot to my caravan and have the tools and will try anything once if it will make my caravan feel better. There is no water in the oil. I put a card board under my van and I see no signs of anything leaking and I just need your thoughts in what you might think it could be so PLEASE email me here or at dakotasky@rrt.net
Thank You
Lindacars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:36 PM   #2
Lindacars
AF Newbie

Re: losing water/over heating...HELP

See Below >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 03-30-2004, 09:37 PM   #3
Lindacars
AF Newbie

Also I just drove it around the town for about 15 minutes and when I got back home and parked it back in the garage I noticed that the return water container for the radiator smelt like gas.
Help, Help, HELP...
Old 03-30-2004, 10:20 PM   #4
homefree
AF Regular

It could just be a bad head gasket, eather way you will have to pull the head off it to see whats up. Did you pull the oil dip stick out to se if any coolent is getting in the oil?
homefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 03:18 AM   #5
Lindacars
AF Newbie

I did look at the dip stick and no sign of water in the oil. Also I just drained some of the oil to make sure of this and there is no water at all in the oil. I also drained the radiator then just filled with plan water and drove for 20 minutes and came back home and some of the water had gone somewhere but not sure of where then I drained it again,(to maybe flush whatever out) refilled it and drove it around again and still water is going somewhere but I just can't figure out where and it is not in the oil and while I was driving it I stopped twice to see if it was going out the exhaust and it wasn't but was smoking some. If you have any thoughts on this PLEASE let me know as I am basicly stranded in this town now with no wheels as I am affraid to drive it to get to an auto repair almost 30 miles away.
HELP....................
Linda

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager