Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Oldsmobile Classics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
defiant79
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to defiant79 Send a message via Yahoo to defiant79
1977 Olds Delta 88

Just purchased the little gem from a polebarn. Car had a LOT of new parts put on a few years back and then was driven maybe 500 miles before the parked it because of gas prices.

I've got the car running and I'm slowing working on fixing a few things that it needs. Its been awhile since I've dealt with something other than fuel injection, so bear with me.

The car drives good around town for the most part, only thing I've noticed and its more of a problem when going to pass someone when you push the pedal to the floor the car will pickup and start to go then it bogs down and then will finally pick up and go again. I was told this may have something to do with the secondarys but have yet to figure it out.

Also is there any kind of vacuum line layout diagram or something? 2 of the vacuum lines coming off the carb have screws shoved in the end of them, I'm not sure what their original purpose was, but I want to make sure thats not part of my problem.

This car has a Chevy 350 in it, and a rochester 4 barrel carb.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 1977 Olds Delta 88

First thing to do here is to remove the carb inlet fitting and change the sneaky little filter in there.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
defiant79
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to defiant79 Send a message via Yahoo to defiant79

Thanks, I will try to check that later today.

Another problem came up yesterday while it was raining, the windshield seems to be leaking at the top. Is there a proper way to remove the trim from around the window or do you just pull it up? I don't want to break any and make things worse.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

There is actually a tool designed to release the retaining clips for this trim.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

2 things.......
The hesitation upon acceleration is caused by the carb secondary air doors opening too quickly. Too much air going through the secondaries all at once causes the vacuum signal to be lost at the venturis. This leans out the air fuel mixture going into the engine, just for a second or two.
There is a tiny adjusting screw at the top of the carb which can slow down their opening and eliminate this problem. Some trial and error will be required to get the doors to open at the correct speed.

As for the windshield..... Loctite sells a special silicone in a tube which is thinner than normal silicone and is specifically designed to fix windshield leaks without removing the glass. You place a bead of this stuff over the suspected windshield leak area and it will flow into the gaps and seal them off. You may be able to use this stuff without removing the windshield trim, if you are lucky.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Oldsmobile Classics