Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
searcherrr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to searcherrr Send a message via MSN to searcherrr Send a message via Yahoo to searcherrr
Question Opinions of value for private sale after new tranny and engine - 1995 Windstar 3.8L

1. What do ya'll think I could get for my 95 in PRIVATE SALE if it just needs a new engine based on the following service record proveable by receipts?

2. What do ya'll think I could get for my 95 in PRIVATE SALE if I put a new/used engine in it based on the following service record proveable by receipts?

Of course I realize ya'll would be answering with pure opinion, but with all the work I've put into it I'd be hoping for $4000 minimum without a working engine and $6000 minimum with a working engine that comes with a 20k tranny with warranty and brand new engine with a warranty. I'm asking about private sales ONLY cause I really think that is the best chance I have getting any decent amount for it since the dealerships don't seem to value receipts and maintenance put into a vehicle. The interior is in great shape, but the outside roof has lots of rust spots on it that I'd need to sand, prime, and paint before selling. There is a dent on the passenger side lower portion at the back of the sliding door thats always been there since I bought it. The pin stripe is all spotted up and old looking, but other than that the van looks new on the outside and will look even better once I take care of the roof painting.... has the alloy wheels too. Cruise control has never worked and sliding door power lock needs disassembly and thorough greasing though that may not fix the power lock issue. I've never worried about it though and always just used it manually or beat off the power lock button enough times till the sliding door lock unlocks.

Vehicle History
*Includes as much as known from most recent to oldest:

Total Service/Repairs up till 10/22/2007: $8929.84
Total with cost of van purchase: $11,179.84

Date Mileage Service Price
Previous Owner History
3/21/1995 0 Vehicle put into service. Sold to Schwartz Forwarding Co, Inc
12/16/1998 65,128 Brake job at Meineke Discount Mufflers on Elmwood; 2 new front Rotors put on; Front Shims ; Front Disc Pads and shims; cleaning of back brakes $340.33
4/18/2000 85,806 Machine front rotors, replaced front caliper slide/guiding pins; sliding bolt dust boot and shims; new pads; Raybestos WC37857 PG Plus Professional Grade Wheel Cylinders for both REARS; Brake job on front; bleeding and cleaning of rear brakes $303.45

9/8/2003 126,186 2 new tires, balance, road hazard; brake job; all wheel alignment; tie rod ends replaced in front; rear brakes (drums) replaced & shoes $540.03

History since I’ve owned it
4/14/2004 131,125 Vehicle PURCHASE $2250.00
4/14/2004 131,130 Rolland’s Parking lot garage DIY job; New starter installed; Dealer who sold van to me threw in a new starter on purchase 0.00
5/20/2004 131, 279 Veterans Ford – Tranny Valve body cover and pan gaskets leaking; supposed to have been repaired; still leaking after drive off. Tranny oil change, engine oil change; rear brake cylinders fixed; replaced air and fuel filters; trim repair on hood separation recall; inspected front coil springs for recall – Springs OK – ABS light will remain on but brakes are functioning fine; ABS light remains on due to faulty ABS computer which I have chosen not to replace at this time. $977.40
9/13/2004 132,492 EFI Services - Scan Test ABS System; Trouble Brake System Fluid Loss; Proportioning Valve Leaking; Right Rear Sensor Failure; Replaced Right Rear Speed Sensor; Replaced Brake Proportioning Valve; Transmission Oil Change again due to leakage caused by folded over gasket that was put on by Veterans Ford 667.61 + $42.50 for HCU from junkyard
5/4/2005 134,813 EFI Services, Inc – Replace driver window motor; Replace ABS EHCU customer supplied (had fault codes stored in it – cleared codes and checked parameters); Tranny would have to be removed for leak repair –declined work at time; install transmission oil cooler $883.31
8/10/2005 135,845 Wal-Mart Auto – Oil Change $22.28
9/20/2005 137,138 Rebuilt entire Transmission at place in Harahan; 36 months (3 years) 75,000 mile warranty; New right front and right rear motor mounts installed; MUST HAVE TRANNY OIL, TRANN FILTER AND INLINE MAGNEFINE IN-LINE FILTER REPLACED EVERY 12,000 MILES TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR WARRANTY; WARRANTY# W-14539; INVOICE RI14539 $1762.51
3/2/2006 145,668 Firestone ; Right Rear tire replacement; balance; no road hazard; $75.23
4/28/2006 Oil Change, New shocks/struts all around, power steering pump; alignment; right front hub bearing replaced; new front pads; machine rotors; $742.77
6/1/2006 150,160 Computer scan; replace DPFE sensor and heater hoses $356.00
6/6/2006 -
6/14/2006 Within 12,000 miles later Transmission jerking and leaking. Warranty service. $0.00
6/19/2006 Rear gate hydraulic mount repair; weld job; install new hydraulics $163.13
7/11/2006 150,876 Tune up – Plugs/Wires; Fuel Filter; Flush injectors w 3 Part Flush Kit; Replace front brake calipers and machine rotors; replace fan belt; coolant system flush; replace thermostat and seal; drain some p/s fluid and insert cleaning additive; replace exhaust hangers $823.56
End 2006 152,000ish Rolland’s Garage DIY job; Idler pulley, serpentine belt, belt tensioner, battery, alternator ground wire, positive battery terminal lead, headlight lens replacement, all replaced and Oil change; K&N filter installed (listed for 3.0L but fits 3.8L for 95) $100.00
5/2007 154,600 Towing package installed; Class III 2 inch hitch setup $330.00
5/25/2007 154,695 Oil Change and Radiator power and chemical flush $88.47
9/27/2007 157,184 IAC motor and gasket, ECM, replacement ECM revealed air flow meter fault code – replaced air flow meter at Rolland’s Garage DIY job with $35 ebay Ford OEM replacement after Diagnostic’s service $713.58 + $35
10/25/2007 HOTEL Stuck in McComb, MS due to engine overheating $242.00
10/22/2007 157,577 Legacy Ford Lincoln Mercury in McComb, MS – Labor for water pump, thermostat, and radiator replacement. Saved $300 getting my own parts. $708.88 + $293 parts
"I drive the newest 1995 Ford Windstar anywhere..... when its not broken."
searcherrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
garync1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Opinions of value for private sale after new tranny and engine - 1995 Windstar 3.

I got my 2001 back in 2003 with 67,000 miles and body and interior looked almost new. I paid 9,500. If Body and interior look great you may be ok. But Windstars don't hold value no matter what you do to it. If you can get 4,000 for it great. But I don't know what to say on that one.. But I look for steals . My 2006 Freestar SEL with 18,000 miles I only paid 14,500 I did trade a Chevy malibu that was about to blow up. I was going to take to a junk yard and drop off for free but the dealer said he would give me a 1,000 for it. so I said it yours. So 15,500 before trade. I did not tell him it was going to go. But they have ears just like me. Interior was shot as well.
garync1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:07 AM   #3
searcherrr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to searcherrr Send a message via MSN to searcherrr Send a message via Yahoo to searcherrr
Re: Opinions of value for private sale after new tranny and engine - 1995 Windstar 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garync1
I got my 2001 back in 2003 with 67,000 miles and body and interior looked almost new. I paid 9,500. If Body and interior look great you may be ok. But Windstars don't hold value no matter what you do to it. If you can get 4,000 for it great. But I don't know what to say on that one.. But I look for steals . My 2006 Freestar SEL with 18,000 miles I only paid 14,500 I did trade a Chevy malibu that was about to blow up. I was going to take to a junk yard and drop off for free but the dealer said he would give me a 1,000 for it. so I said it yours. So 15,500 before trade. I did not tell him it was going to go. But they have ears just like me. Interior was shot as well.
I just don't get it though...... just like the rest of life is an f'in GAME the value of vehicles is too. If you've done enough work to a vehicle like I have there is no doubt that it should raise its value.... but I know... because its a world of VISUALS if someone see's some rust or scratched paint then it automatically means the rest of the vehicle is crap. Its so absolutely f'in stupid. Honestly I don't see why I shouldn't be able to ask $7000 for the van after a new engine would be put in. The tranny and engine warranty will be transferrable so in essence the vehicle will have a warranty like that of a new one.

How do you like your Freestar? I have been looking at few of those from time to time and the only thing thats turned me off about them is a lil bit of loss on horsepower than the 96-03 Windstars. Still it may be negligible and made up in Freestar by perhaps a weight loss???
Old 11-02-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
lapin_windstar
AF Newbie

Post Re: Opinions of value for private sale after new tranny and engine - 1995 Windstar 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcherrr
with all the work I've put into it I'd be hoping for $4000 minimum without a working engine and $6000 minimum with a working engine that comes with a 20k tranny with warranty and brand new engine with a warranty.
Hi searcherr

I'm sorry, but I think your expectations are unrealistic. $4000 for a 12 year old domestic van with rust, a dent, electrical problems and no working engine? I would have thought you would be optimistic to get a tenth of that. I don't mean to be a downer or to criticize the car (I have practically the same one, albeit with a -knock wood- working engine so far), and it's a nice enough car as long as it works, but...

Unfortunately, the amount of money you've already spent on repairs and maintenance isn't really something that's considered when it comes to the amount buyers are willing to pay for a used car - new cars are so cheap ($10k for a new 5 door Aveo!) that used car prices are incredibly low. A buyer's not interested in how much it's cost you, just how much it's going to cost them. In fact

It's like people that buy a house for $100k, spend $70k doing it up, and want $220k at the end of it because "they deserve it with all the work they've put in" - but that doesn't help if the place next door is only $150k and just as nice.

Sorry - just my - others may have totally different opinions or expectations.
lapin_windstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
huskerdooo
AF Newbie

Re: Opinions of value for private sale after new tranny and engine - 1995 Windstar 3.8L

I agree with the last poster.

4k is a lot for something that old that needs so much work. I sold my 96 with much less issues for 500. The body and interior were spotless. I've seen some low mile 95 and 96 vans on cars.com with 50k or so for less than the 4k you want.

I am looking at hgetting a 2004 or so freestar. There are some on cars.com with low mileage starting around 7k.
huskerdooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
garync1
AF Enthusiast

As far as the Freestar Hp is 202 and torque 200 I think But it runs strong I have the 4.2... Its a fast van. Changing the fuel filter is a pain..
garync1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
searcherrr
AF Enthusiast

Thank you all. Thats what I wanted..... the brutal and cold truth. I like to know how other think of things cause thinking of it only as how important it is to me isn't going to help..... obviously. I also asked though if the engine was put in what do ya'll think I could get for it..... again I'd resurface the blemishes and repaint too.

Anyway, thanks. Ya'll did help.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:29 AM   #8
wpony1
AF Newbie

Re: Opinions of value for private sale after new tranny and engine - 1995 Windstar 3.8L

Hi we just bought a 95 windstar from a dealer as is the body is great except for a small wave in the front passenger side front fender no rust even under the van, mostly hiway miles from what we can see from all the records that came with it, the engine runs great it has 121000 miles on it interior is very good condiotion with all the bells and whistles 4 captons chairs, 1 bench, rear air,cd radio, digital dash , the tranny was the weak part still need to do a complete flush but it is almost perfect now after changing the filter and just doing the pan drop change this group has been so much help. any way we only paid $900 for it
wpony1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
lapin_windstar
AF Newbie

Having said what I said above, it's also worth checking out what the Big Dealerships are charging for used cars/trade ins that they paid nothing for. There was a 96 Plymouth being listed at my local place for $3995! Even if they negotiate down heavily, I guess that shows someone, somewhere is willing to spend a few grand on older cars.

But yeah, check out autotrader and stuff for comparable prices, see what's there.
lapin_windstar is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar