Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 10:29 PM   #1
learjet31
AF Newbie

1990 300z 2+2

Hi,
I just bought this car, immaculate condition. It was a one owner, all service records form day 1. My question: What is a carrier bearing, and where is it? When reaching about 60mph, it starts a gradual humming/vibration through the entire car. It was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago as a carrier bearing that needed to be replaced. I bought the car in Florida and I am in Ms. The Nissan service center here says that it doesnt have a carrier bearing and it would be very costly to find the vibration. What do I do? Also, in between gears (standard) I can feel some slack in the rear end that makes a cluncking sound. The dealer here says that it is the rubber bushings (4 total, 2 upper,2 lower) that hold the differential/rearend up. He said that these are worn and is the only thing under the back that could possibly cause slack. ($25.00+ 3 hrs of labor) Has anyone else had any similar experiences? Thanks so much for any info! Happy Holidays
Ken
learjet31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 07:47 PM   #2
rizzspeed
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rizzspeed
Re: 1990 300z 2+2

that vibration that you are referring to might be the driveshaft. To replace with a stock piece from the dealer will cost you enormously. Try a one piece shaft from www.z1motorsports.com If the differential bushings need to be replaced don't get the stock ones, they're rubber. They'll wear out again. Get the polyurethane replacements. Nismo or energy suspension pieces would be good replacements. http://www.courtesyparts.com/energys...ion/300ZX.html
http://www.courtesyparts.com/nismo/z32/index.html
www.nismo.us
rizzspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 08:03 PM   #3
learjet31
AF Newbie

Thanks very much. I ordered the stock diff. bushings already from Nissan. Will this stop the knocking/slack in the rear end? Thanks for your expertise!
learjet31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 08:09 PM   #4
rizzspeed
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rizzspeed

maybe, maybe not. It could also be the subframe bushings are in need of replacement. If you feel a vague feeling in the rear end, or if the car sorta "wiggles" in the rear end either under hard acceleration or a hard bump, that could be the problem.
rizzspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:58 PM   #5
questionablethreat
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to questionablethreat
Help with my Z?

Hello,

Ihave jsut bought a 1990 300zx 2+2 N/A, and the lady that sold it to me said that it needed a starter harness or electrical harness(I do not know if there is a electrical or starter harness in the Z), and she says there were some electrical shorts, i was wondering if someone could help me figure out if there is a electrical or starter harness in the Z, and where would the most common electrical shorts be located in the car...and also where i could find the starter or electrical harness for a good price.

Thank You
questionablethreat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)