Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Stratus
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 09:07 PM   #1
dreglen
AF Newbie

Angry Heater not producing heat.

While driving back from a road trip my heater stopped working. It blows air but not warm air. What could this be caused by? During the summer months the engine temperature is mid range but during the winter months it barely gets above the first line on the gauge. On warmer winter days the heater works a little better but not great. On really cold days it does not work at all. Could my heater problems be due to too much antifreeze in the radiator, Mixture too rich? A blocked heater core? Vacuum hose to heater switch broken or has a leak, which I have heard could be the problem but I cannot find the "vacuum" hose? Bad heater switch? Any ideas, help?

Thanks
dreglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:05 AM   #2
NOTAGAIN
AF Newbie

Re: Heater not producing heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreglen
While driving back from a road trip my heater stopped working. It blows air but not warm air. What could this be caused by? During the summer months the engine temperature is mid range but during the winter months it barely gets above the first line on the gauge. On warmer winter days the heater works a little better but not great. On really cold days it does not work at all. Could my heater problems be due to too much antifreeze in the radiator, Mixture too rich? A blocked heater core? Vacuum hose to heater switch broken or has a leak, which I have heard could be the problem but I cannot find the "vacuum" hose? Bad heater switch? Any ideas, help?

Thanks
yeah, i think you covered it. LOL.
as far as i know, water is what makes a car run cooler. antifreeze is needed for its boilover, anti freeze properties. but generally speaking, a car with a fat coolant mixture will run hotter. so unless you have nothing but water, i doubt it. esp since you lost it all at once.

couple things come to mind. is your t-stat stuck open? that would keep things cool enough to not put out much heat? on most cars, there is a valve that opens to let the coolant into the core (ever had one leak all over the interior before? :-)

i would check that it works. first grab a heater hose and see if it is hot. both should be hot when the car is warm and heater on. this also helps to diagnose the valve too.

im not sure if that car has vacuum hoses to control the HVAC controls. usually the vacuum opens the "doors" for upper, lower etc blowing. the actual selector for heat, vent, etc should be through linkage and/or electronic. as i recall, it is electronic.

thats all i got. good luck.
NOTAGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:49 AM   #3
sdsumike619
AF Newbie

I have the same problem; just happened tonight, no heat whatsoever coming out... I have a 2002, is there any way for me to check on that thermostat, or do I need to take it somewhere for that? I will check on the hoses later to see if they're hot..
sdsumike619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:35 PM   #4
Serenity81
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Serenity81
what is wrong with ur car

I have a 97 dodge stratus and the same thing happen, my valve was stuck open, something leaked so it was stuck open. I had to get that replaced plus my entire coolant flushed so the problem would not happen again. Good luck, hope this helps.
Serenity81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
randy78
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to randy78 Send a message via Skype™ to randy78

where is the valve located ?

in a heater core hose right ?

i have to look at a 99 breeze today with a heater core problem

so i am learning what i can now

thanks
-'54 F100 302 C-6 -'57 F100 -'57 Bel Air HT 307 4spd '57 210 HT 4dr 265 3spd -'68 corvair monza convertible w/ PG -'79 C-20 -'80 K-20 -'82 K-10 SS -'82 TRANS AM WS7 HT 5.0L TH350 2400 stall blue/blue level III PMD cloth PG hood -'85 Elky SS 310ci 2004r fully restored 2008 -'88 buick century estate wagon 3800 4t40e, 91 s-10 2wd 4.3L, 96 taurus, '97 cavalier RS 2.2L, 5sd -'05 18ft car trailer, 98 achieva, 98 cherokee,
randy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
moparman91
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to moparman91

i have a 01 stratus coupe and it has the same problem wat do i do
moparman91 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Stratus