Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 01:54 AM   #1
windryder
AF Newbie

Question 1994 Super Duty 460 efi No Start fuel problem?

1994 Ford Super Duty 7.5 L (460) Truck set for about a year. When I tried to start it, it cranks but no start. I gave it a shot of ether and it ran until the ether was gone. This truck has a century rollback bed on it. I engaged the pto switch and cranked it to slide the bed back enough to get to the tank. I removed the fuel module and drained the tank. I installed a new fuel module and sock filter, and the fuel filter mounted to the frame, made sure the tank was clean and buttoned it up. When I turned the key on I heard the pump come on for about one second. Tried to start it, same thing,Cranks fine but won't start. I jumped number 6 and 2 terminal on the EEC test connector, turned the key to on. I heard the fuel pump click on. Tried to start it, same no start. I also tried it with terminal #6 grounded to the brake line. Pump ran until I turned key off. Everytime it will start on starting fluid! I checked for fuel at the schraider valve. It has fuel. Pressure with key on was right at 40 psi, and held until I released the pressure. I then removed the valve core from schraider valve, hooked a hose to it with the end into a bucket. I jumped #6 and # 2 terminals again. I turned key on and had good flow for a second or two then the flow went to a trickle, then back to good flow then back to a trickle. It did this until I turned key off! I don't have a noid light so I used a test light to check to see if there was power to injectors. Every one lit the light. I checked the FPR there was no fuel in it. What would cause the fuel pumps erratic flow? What am I missing? The truck ran fine when I parked it! I have had trouble before with the ethanol in the gas eating hoses and gaskets on my Harley and the hose on the fuel pump turned to gum on my Chevy wrecker. I have read almost every post about this problem, with no luck!
windryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
windryder
AF Newbie

Re: 1994 Super Duty 460 efi No Start fuel problem?

2 months and still no start! Since I first posted this I have checked all fuel lines starting a fuel pump. Got gas all the way. Checked FPR no gas in vacuum line. I went and got a new fuel pressure test kit, thinking my old one has had a long hard life! With gauge hooked to schrader valve, key on got 38psi. As soon as pump kicked off(key on) it dropped to 35 psi. When I turned key off the pressure slowly drops!
While cranking engine pressure was at 38 psi with needle bouncing some. I used a little ether to start it. While running on ether, and me feathering the throttle pedal pressure is 30 psi and needle is bouncing about 2 psi +-. With key on I jumped #2 and #6 on ecc test connector, pressure was 38 psi. with Key on and #2 grounded pressure was 39 psi! Both ways pressure dropped to 36 psi when I took jumper off.
I have a 1994 F-350 same as this rollback so I checked pressure on it. With key on pressure is 30 psi. With engine running 30 psi constant, no needle bounce. At 2500 rpms pressure at 30 psi. key off engine off 32 psi steady no pressure loss. Does this sound like the Fuel Pressure regulator might be stuck open? or?
Old 12-07-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
windryder
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: 1994 Super Duty 460 efi No Start fuel problem?SOLVED!

After almost going insane I solved this no start problem, and learned a lot about Fords. Just in case some else might have this same problem here's what I did. After reading online that these fords use a MAP sensor instead of MAF sensor, I thought that might be the problem! There seems to be an argument online if the MAP sensor will cause a No Start condition! Some say yes and some say no! Believe me on these trucks the MAP sensor can and did cause my "94 Super Duty not to start. I had pulled the code 126 MAP output out of range during self test days before. I pulled the MAP off of my 94 F-350 Which is the same as my S.D. I plugged it in and it started up right away! Runs good! I can't believe that this hasn't happened to anyone in this forum! Not even one reply! Anyway maybe this will keep someone from losing their mind!!!!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #4
rusted and busted
AF Newbie

Re: 1994 Super Duty 460 efi No Start fuel problem?

I'm having the same problem with my 1993 F150 with a 4.9. My truck was running fine and it sat for a year. I wasn't getting fuel pressure but it would run with a shot of ether till it was gone. I replaced the pump and filter and I'm now getting 36 to 38 pounds of pressure. It sounds like it wants to start when its cranked but doesn't quite catch. The regulator seems good, it isn't getting gas at the vacuum port and I tried pinching the fuel return line and when its cranked it keeps the same pressure. I tried replacing the MAP sensor with one off my other truck and it didn't make a difference. I tried pulling code and got 114 air temp control sensor and 116 coolant temp sensor. I haven't tried replacing these yet and don't really think it would make a difference, I'm wondering now if the PCM is bad....Any thoughts or ideas?
rusted and busted is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1994 , 460 , fuel-pump
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series