Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
AKA TC
AF Newbie

New Tamiya kits

Does anyone know when new kits will be released, and what do you think Tamiya will release. Also what would you guys like see released. I would like to see a new motogp. What do you guys think?
AKA TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
eyckles
AF Enthusiast

Re: New Tamiya kits

Maybe the 2011 Ducati from Rossi would be great.

Lesley
eyckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Hard to guess what Tamiya will do, but easy to guess what they won't or won't anymore...
If only the new WRC could inspire them back to rally theme !

rallymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymaster View Post
If only the new WRC could inspire them back to rally theme !
Or maybe some 'old school' rally perhaps..?? Some Group B cars in Tamiya 1/24th would be fantastic..!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenoble View Post
Or maybe some 'old school' rally perhaps..?? Some Group B cars in Tamiya 1/24th would be fantastic..!!!
Ooohhh Yeeessss !! I can't agree more !!
instead of (or in the same time) only re-releasing the Renault 5 Turbo why not making the Gr. B version ?? Always wondered why they stopped to the "basic" 5 turbo whereas they would only have to change the bumpers and a few things on the inside...
And the nissan 240 RS or the Celica still deserve a plastic kit !!
But I have no illusion...

Old 05-26-2011, 03:55 AM   #6
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

Tamiya's plastic model business is reportedly 25% of the total (50% R/C, 25% tools and supplies), and car/bike subjects are relatively minor compared to the military subjects, so I only expect them to release one or two brand-new car/bike kits per year. LFA kit came out this Feb, so either there'll be no budget left this year, or could be one more brand-new kit toward the end of this year.
My guess is Honda HSV, because the tooling cost can be split between variations.

hirofkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #7
crisjr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to crisjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirofkd View Post
Tamiya's plastic model business is reportedly 25% of the total (50% R/C, 25% tools and supplies), and car/bike subjects are relatively minor compared to the military subjects, so I only expect them to release one or two brand-new car/bike kits per year. LFA kit came out this Feb, so either there'll be no budget left this year, or could be one more brand-new kit toward the end of this year.
My guess is Honda HSV, because the tooling cost can be split between variations.
And i think that they spent all budget on the LFA, because it's been a while since Tamiya released a so detailed model like the LFA.. despite of the very thin plastic used on it.. there is a lot of parts on this one!!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirofkd View Post
A so famous and long time leading brand which can only release 1 or 2 models per year...??
that has no sens to me, they would better completely stop cars !!

How many cars are other brands Revell or Fujimi for example releasing more ?? I can't believe tamiya models cost so much more than other brands ones to put on the market.
Even if as noticed by Cris the LFA brings Tamiya back to the detailing standard we appreciated to find years ago.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
AKA TC
AF Newbie

Yes you would think that they could put out more kits per year. At least one every few months, like maybe one every three months. There are so many different bikes and cars they could produce. And yes they are not cheap. I would personally pay more to have more options. With as long as it takes to detail the higher price wouldn't be bad for the amount of time it takes to enjoy building. Not to mention all the aftermarket venders that would get more business.
AKA TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
star21
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymaster View Post
A so famous and long time leading brand which can only release 1 or 2 models per year...??
that has no sens to me, they would better completely stop cars !!

How many cars are other brands Revell or Fujimi for example releasing more ?? I can't believe tamiya models cost so much more than other brands ones to put on the market.
Even if as noticed by Cris the LFA brings Tamiya back to the detailing standard we appreciated to find years ago.
As hiro had said, they sell more from the R/C business. I would think there would be considerably less time needed to design and manufacture R/C cars versus plastic scale model cars. The end result of this? Time is $$$.

I would still bet on the HSV as well. I don't foresee any new rally cars coming out, only reissues.
star21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:07 AM   #11
Ferrari TR
Not A Hoarder!

Send a message via AIM to Ferrari TR

It's always WWII on the hobby shop shelves. Sadly new car models don't have the same lifespan of military kits. Given the prices of the newest releases i'm choosing my kit buys as carefully as Tamiya seems to be choosing their releases.
Ferrari TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:44 AM   #12
xpeed
AF Enthusiast

I wouldn't mind Tamiya coming out with the Citroen C4 Rally Car driven by Sébastien Loeb with the RedBull Livery

Lexus LF-A Roadster Concept with my bodykit design

"Current Projects"
Nismo Kure GT-R - 0% Sileighty/Onevia - 35%/25%, MCR R34 GT-R - 10%, R34 JGTC Xanavi - 30%, JGTC Raybrig NSX - 0%, 2009/2011 WRX STi - 50%/0%, D1GP Kazama S15 - 55%, Toyota Celica - 2%, Calsonic Z Super GT - 0%, Calsonic R32 GT-R Race car - 5%, C-West RX-7 - 40%, Nismo 350Z 5%, Blitz Chaser - 90%.... a lot of unfinished work.
xpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #13
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari TR View Post
Given the prices of the newest releases i'm choosing my kit buys as carefully as Tamiya seems to be choosing their releases.
I second that.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #14
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by star21 View Post
As hiro had said, they sell more from the R/C business. I would think there would be considerably less time needed to design and manufacture R/C cars versus plastic scale model cars. The end result of this? Time is $$$.

I would still bet on the HSV as well. I don't foresee any new rally cars coming out, only reissues.
I never totaly agree with such considerations, nothing is free, for nobody, you can't get money without efforts or investments...!
That's why I said they should stop cars completely if they need so much time and money for anything else !!

But better forgetting their considerations (I'm not them ) but talking about our buyer ones, what I see is that the less they release cars the more they try to sell them more and more expensively !!
what is the result ? we buy less and move to other more active and competitive brands and they end up losing customers...
So what ? they save time and money to finaly loose money !!
If they would respect a bit more their customers having bought everything named Tamiya and looking like a rally car (for example as it is the most forgotten serie) they would at least release one or two models per year, what would keep customers on their brand, and on their accessories too !!
I've personaly been buying less Tamiya branded stuff each time I can since they don't release rally cars because I started being used to other brands.

Wanting to win without investment or by saving everything possible is the best way to loose...

endless deja vu re-re-re...release won't make me forget all the cars they could have done like the ones they did years ago.

Years ago I was used to met lot of modelers in LHS coming once per week to try to catch the rally kits, today it's like everyone had died !!!
No kits, no modelers...
What will Tamiya earn in losing so many static models customers that won't ever do R/C ?? nothing...
Repeting my thoughts, if such a brand can't even release one or two car or bikes (I don't really know and follow bikes release but doesn't seem to get more) kits per year, no need to go on releasing static models kits !! It's only misleading customers...

but that's my thoughts and Tamiya won't care for sure her former customers considerations and expectations...

Old 05-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #15
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpeed View Post
I wouldn't mind Tamiya coming out with the Citroen C4 Rally Car driven by Sébastien Loeb with the RedBull Livery
I think a Citroen is the most unexpectable rally release, they never done one and Heller will release the C4...
Would like to see a Tamiya Xsara or C4 too of course, but if they only would do a Ford or a Mini I would celebrate it with champagne !!

Having given up rally theme is finaly letting a chance to other new brands like Belkits or Simil'R... Even if Tamiya standard and reputation is still far.
Belkits is on a god way with a very competitive price.
Maybe in a few years nobody will remind tamiya did rally cars !!