Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Robdaparamedic
AF Regular

2000 Coolant Leak from under throttle body ??

Holy Crap I just spent the entire day trying to find a coolant leak which appeared to be under the upper intake manifold, on the throttle body side. I first dried the lower manifold where the fluid would accumlate and started the engine and...presto, there the fluid would return. NOW I KNOW THERE'S NOTHING THERE CONTAINING ANTIFREEZE. . After reading some other threads, they've mentioned this pipe that runs from under the throttle body and accross the lower manifold to the water pump. Here's the problem. I took the upper manifold off to get at this and now there's no way to start engine to make it leak. It doesn't even look like there's any corrosion or nothing that would generate a leak.

Question #1... how do I get this pipe out of the lower manifold??
#2...should I just splice a piece of rubber hose and clamp it. (this is providing I actually find a hole in this pipe)
#3...should I change the retainer bolts or whatever they're called since I already have them out??? (The 8 bolts that hold lower half of manifold)

Rob
Thanks in advance to all...
I fix people faster than cars
Robdaparamedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
Notparis
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Coolant Leak from under throttle body ??

We just did this on Friday, my hubby and I. The part you need is a water bypass tube. It looks perfect when you look at it but the second you pull it out you will see what the problem is. The o-ring is what the problem is, ours was flush with the tube. It was easy to remove, just remove the two screws and pull, we pryed gently and it popped right out. You could probably get away with replacing the oring but it was orange and I don't know if you can buy it seperately. The whole tube cost us 60 dollars at the Ford dealership. You can only get it there. We had a pretty significant leak and it is gone now. Now we just need to replace the front wheel bearing. Yeah

http://leckemby.net/windstar/windstar01.html

This website has some very usefull pics. while you in there you may as well clean out the EGR things. Just get your shop vac out. That is a common code that will pop up.
Notparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Robdaparamedic
AF Regular

Re: 2000 Coolant Leak from under throttle body ??

Thanks for the reply. I actually had the job done by the time you replied. Local dealer gave me some insight and discount ($46). I would have cleaned the EGR ports regardless of suggestion. Mine was leaking from a pin hole that was about 3 inches from the 90 degree end. At first I couldn't even see it but I blew some air through it with compressor and I seen the paint come off and felt it on cheek. 30 minutes to put it back together. Thanks again.
Robdaparamedic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar