Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 12:33 PM   #46
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Shipping to Lopaka.

Should have just put them as "carry-on" for your flight back from Seattle.
Old 12-02-2001, 02:55 PM   #47
Lopaka
AF Newbie

Life goes on

Lopaka congrats on your slider purchase, I know you realized shipping of my sliderz would have been close to the purchase price and i was trying to arrange other shipping options for you as my best friend is one of the big wigs at a very large international shipping firm...while his company does not go to Hawaii he was tring to pull some strings with friends at other shipping lines to get a set of sliderz added to a container for free or at a very good rate for you. [/b][/quote]

I wish you had told me that Todd. I really wanted the EOE Sliderz and would have been willing to wait for the shipping arrangements to be sorted out. As it stands, I am paying more for shipping the 4Crawler SliderZ to Hawaii than the cost of the merchandise, anyway ($240.00 shipping). Notwithstanding, I was willing to pay the cost of shipping your Sliderz, too. Shipping to Hawaii is obscene, but if you really want something not available here you have to bite the bullet. I'm ok with this Todd, just a little disappointed I didn't get your rock sliders, which I consider to be the best.
Lopaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 04:12 PM   #48
wilburburns
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to wilburburns
Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER
Cliff you are right about the mounting methods, just a small bead along the bottom of the frame plates will make a big difference. Making the mounting plates larger will not due much and must be gusseted more as well, this is because you are still pulling on the weld on nuts inside the frame.
While I agree to a point...I may not have been exactly clear. And here's what I meant...

If the mounting plates were larger and bolted (preferably welded) to more locations, then effectively, the force is being spread out across a larger area. Let's take my 12" long mounting and backing plate for example..If there were 6 bolts spread out 2 on each end, and 2 directly by the tubeing locations (which should be in the center of the mounting plate), then you would effectively be spreading the load across a larger area, strengthening the area.

I don't know the exact measurements of EOE's or anyone else's mounting plates, but these are examples.

12"x4" mounting plate spreads the force across 48sq" of frame...

As compared to...(example purposes only)
5"x5" mounting plate spreads the force across 25sq" of frame only.

In my thinking, the more you spread out the force, the stronger they will be. I agree that more gusseting may be required. Now if we really want to get technical, all the mounting bolts with the exception of 1 could be placed alont the bottom of the mounting plate. This is because more strength is needed from forces on the bottom than on the top.

If my logic is wrong, someone please explain. Like I said before, I'm no expert.

Cliff
wilburburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 05:17 PM   #49
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

I think I misread or just did not fully understand what you meant, by drilling holes through the frame for added bolts yes this will be stronger....I thought you meant just a larger plate using the stock holes. But instead of going through all the effort of drilling through the frame I would suggest just welding along the bottom of the mounts if you did not want to weld all the way around...drilling and welding would be ideal but I think overkill.

Lopaka thanks for the compliment on the sliderz...sorry i should have kept you in the loop with the plans, I was trying to get them shipped for free and then surprise you with the news.
FSRBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 05:29 PM   #50
Lopaka
AF Newbie

Re: Shipping to Lopaka.

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller
Should have just put them as "carry-on" for your flight back from Seattle.
That's not too far-fetched, Schludwiller. Roger offers his 4Crawler SliderZ in kit form without the long bars. Imagine trying to explain to scanner personnel what all those parts in your carry-on are really for!
Lopaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 07:06 PM   #51
wilburburns
AF Regular

Todd, I figured I just didn't explain it well enough...Adding larger mounts without also changening the bolt up points would be worthless..

As for a direct bolt on product without drilling or any other work, the current mounting plates are as good as they are going to get.

Is there really a big problem with people bending the frame and causing damage? I'm just wondering, because I do think all the products are strong. I don't count simple flexing while Hi-lifting a problem. I'm thinking more along the lines of permanent frame rail damage..

Cliff
Old 12-04-2001, 04:24 PM   #52
Huey
AF Newbie

Hey Lopaka, I know you wanted the EOE's but ended up getting Roger's sliders, but truthfully tell me how you feel about the sliders you got in a month from now. Honestly, I don't think you really got a bum deal.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:30 PM   #53
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by wilburburns

Is there really a big problem with people bending the frame and causing damage? I'm just wondering, because I do think all the products are strong. I don't count simple flexing while Hi-lifting a problem. I'm thinking more along the lines of permanent frame rail damage..

Cliff
Why not just tack weld them, and forget about it? It will take all of about 5 minutes, and you won't have to worry about whether or not the factory mounts are strong enough.

Are you worried about welding them to the frame? You can cut the weld with a die grinder (with no damage to the frame) if you ever need to take them off. I think that is a better solution than drilling holes in the frame.

Take a look at allprooffroad.com. Their Toyota sliders are similar to ours, but welded to the frame. They have photographs where they are slamming them into rocks with no problems.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 05:48 PM   #54
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG

Are you worried about welding them to the frame?
After re-reading I see you suggested welding them. I think that is the simplest solution. Drilling and sandwiching the frame, in my opinion, is more complicated and doesn't accomplish much.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:09 AM   #55
wilburburns
AF Regular

Welding is the simplest and likely strongest

But there are some that don't like the idea of welding to the frame. Why, I don't know but everyone has their reasons. So, I was throwing out suggestions on what might help the strengthen them even more.

Now, I do think that sandwiching the frame would be the second strongest method, it would be a real PITA. But it's a feasable option for some..

BTW: According to my poll, all this talk is for no reason, because nearly noone has had any of the possible problems mentioned in this thread..:frog:

Cliff
Old 12-05-2001, 09:28 AM   #56
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

Re: Welding is the simplest and likely strongest

Quote:
Originally posted by wilburburns

BTW: According to my poll, all this talk is for no reason, because nearly noone has had any of the possible problems mentioned in this thread..:frog:

Cliff
Yeah, but that maybe because noone has truly abused them. I could see them bending the frame if you slam the entire wieght of the truck onto a rock.

I plan on welding mine, I'd rather have a little bit of overkill. Even if you just weld a small bit along the bottom; I think that would be enough and it wouldn't be too hard to grind off if you ever want to remove them.
Old 12-05-2001, 12:26 PM   #57
Sc00ter
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Welding is the simplest and likely strongest

Quote:

Yeah, but that maybe because noone has truly abused them. I could see them bending the frame if you slam the entire wieght of the truck onto a rock.
Is that even possible? That would certainly speak volumes of ones driving skills. Personally I view my sliders as insurance instead of a license to drive carelessly.
Old 12-05-2001, 01:48 PM   #58
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Welding is the simplest and likely strongest

Quote:

Yeah, but that maybe because noone has truly abused them. p

Not so fast buddy, I sure as hell did.
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 01:58 PM   #59
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Welding is the simplest and likely strongest

Quote:
Originally posted by Sc00ter

Is that even possible? That would certainly speak volumes of ones driving skills. Personally I view my sliders as insurance instead of a license to drive carelessly.
If you are rock crawling it is possible. Not that I have done any serious rock crawling in the Xterra. Anyway, it must be possible to bend the frame since one persons says they did it. The site I metioned above had a write up on their sliders in Peterson's in which they recommended welding the sliders to the frame over bolting them. It would be so easy to weld a small bead along the bottom, I don't see any reason not to do it. I guess I will carry more insurance than you
Old 12-05-2001, 02:05 PM   #60
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Welding is the simplest and likely strongest

Quote:
Originally posted by Philosopher

Not so fast buddy, I sure as hell did.
Yours was the one that bent wasn't it?

I've seen your photos, I know you know how to subject the Xterra to abuse