Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 01:25 PM   #61
kaoru-tochiro
Banned

Re: Not For Long

Quote:
Originally posted by FlexinTwinZ
For all the previous Neon Owners, you all know The new turbo Neon won't last. Great price, great 1/4 time, but what happens when your warranty is up.
those 4 cyl are not expensive to maintain or rebuild. We're talkin about a domestic car here.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:43 PM   #62
FlexinTwinZ
AF Newbie

Are you sure?

I've seen repair costs for Dodge Neons and it's not exactly cheap. And with it being a Turbo, there much more that can go wrong with it because of all the addition parts and the fact that Turbos run hotter/harder than Non-Turbo Neons. You're right it is cheaper than fixing the 350Z if anything goes wrong. But stock vs. stock, the Z wins in a 1/4. I guess if you want to save money right now or don't have it, the Neon is obviously the better choice. Don't get me wrong, Dodge makes bad ass toys...but I don't know why the Neon doesn't fit that description. It will lose value a lot sooner to with depreciation. A Stock 1990 300ZX TT still sells for around $8995, ($12000 for one in top shape) How much will a Neon go for after 13 years. Not much. Want something faster just to say you're faster...get a Crotch Rocket!
Old 04-15-2003, 03:20 PM   #63
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
additional parts?

additional parts on the turbo car include, a turbo.

that's what could break.

and the motor is designed to be turbo'd, it's not some basic motor they took and stuck a turbo on, it's been built for turbocharging.
it may have been a regular n/a motor, but with proper build, which i'm sure the dodge guys are capable of, they can build a solid car from the factory.

so much pessimism.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:37 PM   #64
BigJustinZ28
AF Enthusiast

hehe come on guys calm down , dont wanna see a mod move this thread to stress release lol

1997 Camaro Z28 = LT1 w/ LT4 Conversion w/ Hot Cam
52mm T/B , SLP CAI , SLP Shorties .Eibach Springs, KYB GA Shocks.
SS Hood , Suncoast Creations Spoiler , F1 Camaro Wheels.
30th Ann. Style White with Orange Stripes.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:56 PM   #65
FlexinTwinZ
AF Newbie

Hey, does anyone know anything about cars? I thought there was more to Turbos than a Turbo! Is that all that Dodge put on a Neon? I doubt it. If you think the Neon repair cost is the same as the Turbo Neon repair cost, then you're mis-informed or just guessing. If you think there isn't anything additional, then go check out the parts for both vehicles and come back here and tell us what you learned. Do the research before sharing your KNOWLEDGE. There's no pessimism, just common sense. Turbo Cars need more than just a Turbo motor and Turbos for optimal performance and reliability.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:41 AM   #66
kaoru-tochiro
Banned

Re: Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally posted by FlexinTwinZ
But stock vs. stock, the Z wins in a 1/4.
No it doesn't, Super 2NER TV said the neon kicked that Z's ass all over the 1/4 mile, and no one has had any repair bills yet for the Neon so no one can know expenses, but I've seen guys with Dodge Daytonas and the parts ain't expensive. Those engines can handle a lot more than what its pushing out right now.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:17 AM   #67
FlexinTwinZ
AF Newbie

Give us exact sources

Like I said before on what i've read, it's 13.9 vs. 14.1 with the Z winning. If you have more info, let me know and you can prove me wrong. I'm not saying I have the final answer, I said if anyone knows differently, give the Magazine name(s) and month it was published. We are looking for the lowest stock times from all sources. I've seen 13.9, 14.0, 14.1, 14.2 for the Z and 14.1 - 14.6 for the Neon. And for saying you don't know prices on repair bills because no one has had trouble yet. Are you an idiot? You don't need a busted vehicle to found out the price of parts and labor. Also, why do you keep bringing up the Dodge Daytona? Everyone here complains that "Oh, this is only about the Z and the Neon", but then people start bringing up other vehicles. Give us times and Month of Mags for sources...
Old 04-19-2003, 07:01 PM   #68
deadmaninc
AF Enthusiast

I saw a SRt-4 commercial the other day and it said that the Neon did 0-60 in 5.9 seconds and the 1/4 mile in like 14. and I think that according to doges like tests.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:35 PM   #69
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Hey, does anyone know anything about cars? I thought there was more to Turbos than a Turbo! Is that all that Dodge put on a Neon? I doubt it. If you think the Neon repair cost is the same as the Turbo Neon repair cost, then you're mis-informed or just guessing. If you think there isn't anything additional, then go check out the parts for both vehicles and come back here and tell us what you learned. Do the research before sharing your KNOWLEDGE.
gee...
or you could have just listed what else is included instead of sounding like you're god.

i'm well aware that there's more to it, but if you yourself said it has a turbo motor, and a turbo...

what else?

piping? an intercooler?

b/c those would just break left and right...

what i meant was that the only other real part that could "break" would be the turbo, everything else just facilitates it...

and you kinda shot yourself in the foot, b/c you said a turbo car has a turbo motor (which would include alllll the other parts) and a turbo....

so?

and maybe the dodge will have issues with that kinda stuff, but the warranty is pretty extensive, so i wouldn't worry much about it.

back to the topic...

you bring up a valid point on the 1/4 times, which is really all this is about... why not just stick to the topic?
Old 04-20-2003, 11:13 PM   #70
HunterSRT-4
AF Newbie

SRT-4

In reply to alot the posts. I'm not insulting anyone but those of you who have bad things to say about the SRT-4, I ask of you. Have you ever driven or in some cases seen one (in person)? If so you have good reason to say what ever you want about the SRT. Those of you who haven't have no reason to say anything, I know everyone has the right to say what they want, but if your information is based off text and things you've heard drive one and then remember what you said. If you still feel the same tword the SRT then talk all the S*#$ you want.(Please excuse my language)
As for the 350Z being capable of 600hp thats nice just remember with a little work and a big enough turbo just about anything can achieve 600+hp. Also even though the WRX and EVO are based, based being the key word, on rally cars the SRT-4 is based on a dodge race car. I have never driven either so I can't say much other than that they both seem to be good cars.
I own an SRT-4 and I'll tell ya for an american production car and a reasonable price tag its a great car with a good amount of hp and alot of torque. The suspension could use some work, meaning the 350Z could have the advantage in the curves. As for the straight and narrow, Who knows? The only way to know the answer to either, is to hold a race between the Z and the SRT both through the curves and down the strip.
The only thing about the SRT-4 that is neon is the basic neon body the suspension, engine(2.4 liter turbo where as the standard neon hoses a 2.0 liter), brakes(bigger rotors and better calipers), interior(seats, dash accents, steering wheel, guages), and as memory serves me a different tranny. Also it doesn't run much hotter than any other car thanks to the intercoooler and electric main and aux. fans, the hood scoop is also functional unlike the aftermarket scoops on most cars.
Who ever said that anyone who could afford a SRT and insurance for it should be able to pay the extra money for a 350Z. Insurance on a Z is probably more than the SRT-4 if you really want to know I advise you to contact your insurance agent. I didn't want to spend an extra 10 Grand on an Audi TT look alike(please excuse the cheap shot) because I liked the SRT and the price was great for an equal if not better car. Not saying the 350Z is a bad car but if you want a nice expensive import car why not buy a BMW the insurance on those must be cheaper than the SRT-4. I think the main problem most have with the Srt is fear they're afraid of a domestic car that can kick ass.

Sorry for getting of topic just thought some of you would like to hear it from an owner. In response to the real topic I'll let you know when I waste one at a stoplight or on the track.

'NUFF SAID

Last edited by HunterSRT-4; 04-20-2003 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:01 AM   #71
HunterSRT-4
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by kaoru-tochiro
NEON WINS!!!

Super tuner TV, and sports compact car both tested this car and found it to be more powerfull than Dodge says, supertuner TV's qurter time tests show that the 350Z aggainst the Neon SRT got its ass handed to it.
FINAL VERDICT
this thread asked which was faster in the 1/4 mile, not which one had a prettier interior.
DITTO.

DITTO.DITTO. DITTO.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:59 PM   #72
feenix z
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to feenix z
Lets talk quality

True story here, this guy i know had a neon once. the neon got rear ended and wouldnt start. Lets examine it, it got hit in the back and the engine (located in the front for those of you not knowledgable on the neon) and it wouldnt start. why is that? cause it just really sucked. I guess they got the back bumper fixed and were able to get it started for some dealer who took it as trade in for a 2000 civic si. the neon never started again is what the dealer later said. so, lesson learned, neons suck AND THE Z WILL BE KING

Oh crap, i can feel the hate mail coming as i write this!!!

RESPECT!!!:finger:
Old 04-22-2003, 05:36 AM   #73
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Re: Lets talk quality

Quote:
Originally posted by feenix z
True story here, this guy i know had a neon once. the neon got rear ended and wouldnt start. Lets examine it, it got hit in the back and the engine (located in the front for those of you not knowledgable on the neon) and it wouldnt start. why is that? cause it just really sucked. I guess they got the back bumper fixed and were able to get it started for some dealer who took it as trade in for a 2000 civic si. the neon never started again is what the dealer later said. so, lesson learned, neons suck AND THE Z WILL BE KING

Oh crap, i can feel the hate mail coming as i write this!!!

RESPECT!!!:finger:

There are fuel delivery components in the back, those could have been damaged if your story is even true. That one experience makes you such an expert on the quality of one car?

Old 04-22-2003, 10:12 AM   #74
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

are you aware of a little thing called a fuel pump reset?

if you get rear ended, and the car were to keep pumping fuel, you've got the possibility of a fire.

i know this, b/c when we bought a new car, the dealer pointed it out, so we had that as an option for why the car may not start, to keep aware.

so the dealer got it restarted?
wow.

b/c they pushed the reset button to reset the circuit to the fuel pump.

what was the point of your story again?

Quote:
it wouldnt start. why is that? cause it just really sucked.
wow...

you, my friend, have been proven wrong.

your case would not stand up in a court of law, and hell, it wouldn't even be able to crawl...

next?
Old 04-24-2003, 07:34 PM   #75
feenix z
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to feenix z
the point

Yeah, my point is neons have been flat out dissed by consumer reports. They complained about everything from the choppy ride, to the bad seats (car and driver didnt like the seats on the srt-4 either), and the cabin noise.
one more thing, for my money, i would gladly give the extra couple grand to get a decent looking vehicle. neon designers have been asleep at the drawing boards since the car's creation. The headlights remind me of a nun's eyes at an Eminem concert

and as for my story, YEAH ITS TRUE!!!! so once again...

RESPECT
:finger: