Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Rickard_Olsson
AF Enthusiast

Subaru Impreza S12B WRC Rally Monte-Carlo - Renassaince T/K

Hi everybody !

Time for a new project ! This time it´s the Tamiya Subaru Impreza WRC 2005 Rally Monte-Carlo with the transkit from Renaissance with a 2006 Impreza body.

A little pictures of the transkit in itself !

I bought the kit for the 2006 Rally Japan so that will explain the gravel-rims and tire.

Kit includes:

* 2006 styled body of the Subaru Impreza WRC
* new rear and front lights and inserts
* new front and hood radiators
* Hoodscoop
* Roofwing
* Photoetch
* New glass parts for the front and rear
* Decals

I thought that I would show you some of the differences between the 2005 car and the 2006 car.

The 2006 car is a bit wider than the older car.. I have seen a couple of these build and what I have noticed is that some builders don´t modify the suspension to make it wider to fit the body.

I started with cleaning, sanding and preparing the body for paint. I used Tamiya primer from the can and I also used TS-51 Mica Blue from the can. I´m quite happy with the results so far !

I just placed the wheeils under the body to get the classical look with a blue Subaru with gold wheels !

¨

I then started to paint and put the chassis together and as with Tamiya it was no problem at all ! I built the 2005 Monte-carlo kit way back when it was released and I had the chassis left from that build.. I put it beside the new one just to see how far I have come in my skills and I am really happy with the result. I put some kevlar-decals on the driveshaft. And to be fully honest.. this is the first time I really follow the instructions when it comes to painting ! came out really well !

And here you can see the finished brakes with the PE-discs

I also painted the rims.. I painted the centers and the bolts.. But I also painted the space between the spokes.. Just to give the rims a little bit more of a character !

And this is were it stands right now.. with a few decals put on ! I will post some pictures tomorrow of the finished body with all the decals and the rear wing with CF-decals (What a nightmare).

Best regards,

Rickard
Old 08-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
pawlie
AF Regular

Re: Subaru Impreza S12B WRC Rally Monte-Carlo - Renassaince T/K

Looks very nice so far! Thanks for sharing.
pawlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
sam01contact
AF Enthusiast

Very interesting subject! I like the menacing look of the 2006 Impreza.
sam01contact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

looking great! can't wait to see the rest
Old 08-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Rickard_Olsson
AF Enthusiast

UPDATE !!

I have been working with this one for a couple of days and I can finally show you an update ! The interior is done and the body has just been sprayed with the final layer of clear.. but now.. time for some pictures !

Here is the chassis, painted in blue and white. I have put some BMF on the center to make it look like heatshields. I have also done some wiring and my own CF-pattern.

Some photoetch details on the handbrake

The sparetire with some etched details and fasteners.

The rollcage has also got some special treatment ! I have put a net behind the seats were the drivers put their helmets between the stages.. And you can also see my scratchbuild camera for the classic "on board-view".

The doorsides with my own CF-pattern again.. Nothing special !

Etched fasteners for the seats

And the seats are also done ! I used the etched parts from the transkit and I made my own seatbelts using medical tape.. I think it came out really good !

And finally.. the dashboard ! I have added some extra things.. an electrical box with some added wiring, wiring to the steeringwheel and also a cooling hose.

That´s it for this time !

// Rickard
Old 08-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Very nice work on details and personal CF !! I'm curious to know how you did it. It seems a great technic to reproduce seats material too.
Would just say that if I'm not wrong the whole central tunel is covered by aluminium heating shield and only floor is white.

rallymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Rickard_Olsson
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for your comment, Rallymaster ! I can show you a "tutorial" of the CF and seatbelts during my next project ! Regarding the center tunnel... I have found some pictures with the whole thing covered in heatshield and some with just the front part like I did.. and since I didn´t have any cigarette-foil to reproduce the look, I choose this way since I liked the look of a clean, white center ! I will foil it completely during the next one though !

A sneak preview of the finished model...

.. And my next project has already taken it´s place at the table..

// Rickard
Old 03-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
heyes57
AF Newbie

For anyone building a Subaru Impreza WRC here's an invaluable site if you're thinking of a transkit. I used it for my backdating of the Tamiya 1998 Monte Carlo Rally to the winning 1997 car driven by Piero Liatti and Fabrizia Pons. It gives all of the number plates of the cars used in 555 history. http://www.55five.co.uk/555_history.htm#X

Cheers
heyes57 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports