Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
patioman
AF Newbie

Stalling Problems As Well

Seems to be a lot of stalling issues here. I guess I will add to it. I am working on my daughter's car 1999 4cy 2.5L. I can start the car and let it idle in the drive. Idle seems steady but the car quits running after about 20-30 minutes. It will re-start easy enough and if left running it will do the same. As far as driving it, I can get about 2 miles and then it simply quits running. Very difficult to get re-started, it tries & sputters but doesn't take unless I wait a few minutes.
I have cleaned the MAF sensor & O2 sensor. Air filter looks good...have not check the fuel filter yet. Any ideas? Thanks a bunch

What happened to the good ole days when all you had to worry about was gas, spark & timing?
patioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

Re: Stalling Problems As Well

start w/ the fuel filter,

then go have an obd II code scan...
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
patioman
AF Newbie

Re: Stalling Problems As Well

Will replace fuel filter this evening. I don't know if I can get it to Autozone in it's present condition. I have had no CEL, could there possibly be error codes to retrieve even though there is no CEL?

Thanks for your reply.......
Old 05-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
patioman
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Stalling Problems As Well

Well I replace the old fuel filter with a $12.95 Motorcraft filter. Car runs like a charm now. Drove it 10 miles non-stop including 70mph on the Interstate.

Thanks Ricebike for your suggestion. Hope this post helps someone with the same problem. The filter is located just in front of the gas tank on the underside of the car in front of the rear passenger wheel. It literally only took me 2 minutes to change and all you need is a flat tip screw driver. Just release the band holding the filter, pop the 2 plastic clips holding the fuel lines on and reverse for installation. Be sure to re-install filter with the flow arrow stamped on the filter pointing in the direction of flow.

You may want to pull the fuel pump fuse and start the car until it runs out of gas to purge any pressure build up in the fuel line prior to removing the old filter.

My daughter owes me big time.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour