Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Envoy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
Starino
AF Newbie

2003 Envoy XL, V8 Intermitent Starting

Hello,

First time poster, long time reader. I have been lucky enogh until now to be able to read the other posts and find my problem but no luck with this one as of yet.

History,

7 months ago I had repair work done when my XL would not start and had a similar problem as described in one of your posts where dials would peg and all warning lights would stay on when key was turned to run or start-position. To fix this Dealer replaced the ingnigtion swtich and life was good.

1 months later, ignition switch would turn w/o key. They then "reprogramed" (Dealer words) switch and life was again good.

1 month later, 1st sign of problem. It would not start. It Would show symptoms of dead battery but all inside and outside lights, radio etc would work. Waited 2-3 mins and held key and truck would start.

Next 5 months:

Took car to dealer and they wanted to change starter, but I balked at it and lived with this very intermitent problem, once per month to start which picked up in frequency as we come forward in time. Wet days always seemed to cause the problem, and it would never happen on warm dry/hot days, or if I let truck sit after a wet day/night it would also prevent problem. Either way it would start after you put key in and let it sit for 3-5 mins. I did by chance recreate the problem (other than leaving overnight after rain/cold) one night when we were in a down-pour and drove though a large puddle.

Now that we are coming into winter the problem is much more frequent, and just waiting dosen't fix problem any longer. Now I have to remove ignition fuse under hood, when this happens, and then truck is good to start until it sit's overnight when problem returns.

I still question starter diagnosis as when it starts it is strong and no signs of lag or any other mechnical symptoms or noises.

Any idea's or bulitens on this? I will get engine ID # if it is helpful, XL has 52K miles.

Thanks

Steve D.

Last edited by Starino; 11-02-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 2003 Envoy XL, V8 Intermitent Starting

Welcome to AF. Does the security lite stay on when this happens, if so the passkey system is the source, if not you need to check for 12v at the starter solenoid when the no start occurs, there is a relay in the under hood dist center, at least on the 4.2's, not sure about the 5.3.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Starino
AF Newbie

Security lite goes out. Check-Engine light stays on, but goes out after start. Only code is failure to start. After several no starts on ignition I left key on and started looking/listening under hood. I heard a relay click after several no starts and 5-10 mins and the the truck started ok. I did nothing but look and listen.

I can't reach starter solinoid easly enough to check 12V, need to go to my friends garage to be able to get to starter.

Any other simple idea's. I am going to try and replace starter relay this weekend just S&G's.

Thanks

Steve
Old 11-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
BRD
AF Newbie

I'm gonna suggest something a little "lower tech." Renove the battery cover and inspect the connections at the terminals carefully, together with the integrity of the terminals, your cable ends, and if that don't help, chase your grounds from the battery to where they screw onto the vehicle. Could be nothing worse than a loose/shaky ground connection at one end or the other. Classic symptoms. Also, picking up on maxwedge's tip, your hot cable down at the starter might be loose.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:22 AM   #5
ANDYZCO
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starino
Hello,

First time poster, long time reader. I have been lucky enogh until now to be able to read the other posts and find my problem but no luck with this one as of yet.

History,

7 months ago I had repair work done when my XL would not start and had a similar problem as described in one of your posts where dials would peg and all warning lights would stay on when key was turned to run or start-position. To fix this Dealer replaced the ingnigtion swtich and life was good.

1 months later, ignition switch would turn w/o key. They then "reprogramed" (Dealer words) switch and life was again good.

1 month later, 1st sign of problem. It would not start. It Would show symptoms of dead battery but all inside and outside lights, radio etc would work. Waited 2-3 mins and held key and truck would start.

Next 5 months:

Took car to dealer and they wanted to change starter, but I balked at it and lived with this very intermitent problem, once per month to start which picked up in frequency as we come forward in time. Wet days always seemed to cause the problem, and it would never happen on warm dry/hot days, or if I let truck sit after a wet day/night it would also prevent problem. Either way it would start after you put key in and let it sit for 3-5 mins. I did by chance recreate the problem (other than leaving overnight after rain/cold) one night when we were in a down-pour and drove though a large puddle.

Now that we are coming into winter the problem is much more frequent, and just waiting dosen't fix problem any longer. Now I have to remove ignition fuse under hood, when this happens, and then truck is good to start until it sit's overnight when problem returns.

I still question starter diagnosis as when it starts it is strong and no signs of lag or any other mechnical symptoms or noises.

Any idea's or bulitens on this? I will get engine ID # if it is helpful, XL has 52K miles.

Thanks

Steve D.
Hello, I have this same problem with my 2003 Envoy that I recently bought, at 122K. Last night the car was starting fine and running well on the road. In the morning when I went to start the car, I turn the key into RUN position, it doesn't start. When I tried taking the key out of the ignition switch it come out. All light were working fine but not the radio. My car will need a tow trip to the dealer tomorrow morning..Does anyelse have this problem with your Envoy and had it fix?
Old 05-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
SportsPhotog
AF Newbie

New to the board and not looking to dig though old postings but I am seeing some the same as what I posted with regards to intermitent stating and electrical issues. This one even talks about the ignition switch which is most likely the cause, as I mentioned I am on my 4th one and the dealer will not do any investigative work as to what is wrong with it, they just replace it and say all is well which is true for awhile.

Just curious to see what the outcome here was? Did they replace the switch and if so, was it part # 2.188?
Old 09-23-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
Orchid37
AF Newbie

I have a 2004 Envoy with similar problems. I've had the battery replaced twice, a new feul tank and feul pump, and the ignition switch was replaced a year ago. Lately I've noticed a brief pause when I turn the key before the engine starts. Two weeks ago it would not start, so I locked and unlocked it using the remote lock and then it started right up and was running fine. This morning it would not start again and had to be towed to the dealer. They tell me that the starter shorted out and I'll need a new one ($650!). I ask why this is happening and they tell me that these are machines and electrical systems that just break sometimes. I'm not buying that these problems are not related. Hopefully someone can figure out the root cause of all these problems. My dealer doesn't seem to think they are related.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
maxwedge
A990 racer

Please do not resurrect old threads, 3 months is about it, plus now we have 2 on the same old issue, thanks.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Envoy