Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 07:10 AM   #16
Randy II
AF Newbie

Another fuel filter

This is likely a dumb question: I've got a '96 and had fuel pump replaced at 125,000 ($750). I've also had filter replaced. I assumed pump was in the gas tank and filter is between tank and engine. Where is the other filter that everyone is referring to that would "save" my fuel pump or are my above assumptions wrong? Thanks.

Randy II
Old 01-05-2005, 08:20 AM   #17
audi1031
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to audi1031 Send a message via MSN to audi1031 Send a message via Yahoo to audi1031
Re: How many have had to change their fuel pump

99 GMC YUKON
Mines too at 110k miles and replace fuel filter as well and as far as amount I did it my self to save hundreds of dollars and only 1.5 hrs or so
Old 01-05-2005, 10:19 AM   #18
Mr. Peabody
AF Newbie

Re: Another fuel filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy II
This is likely a dumb question: I've got a '96 and had fuel pump replaced at 125,000 ($750). I've also had filter replaced. I assumed pump was in the gas tank and filter is between tank and engine. Where is the other filter that everyone is referring to that would "save" my fuel pump or are my above assumptions wrong? Thanks.

Randy II
Your assumptions are correct Randy. I've got a 96 also and had to do it at 110K. Not sure what "filter" these guys are refering to as the only one that I know of is "down stream" from the pump. I'm not aware of any preventative measures we can take I think that it's just a poor quality component.

Peabody
Old 01-09-2005, 03:08 PM   #19
fdrepairshop
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to fdrepairshop

there is an update from gm, a fuel level sensor dampening kit, this seems to be real effective in not having to change the pump over and over. have a pro install it, wiring is easy but not for amateur
Old 01-12-2005, 04:24 PM   #20
ck14247
AF Newbie

Fuel Pump

Hello Everyone,
I think I also need a new Fuel Pump (but not 100% sure). I have just under 3,000 miles on my yukon. Can anyone please tell me the signs that I need a new one.

When I first start it up and go, there is alot of hesitation then she kick in and goes, almost like she wants to stall. (Is that one of the signs?)

Thanks
Sean
Old 01-12-2005, 05:04 PM   #21
Reels
AF Newbie

I have read that running your tank below 1/8 tank often reduces the life of the pump. The fuel helps keep it cool as it is submerged, and when you constantly run it low, it overheats, causing life to be short. My Yukon XL has 125k on it, and never changed it. Changed the filter twice, once at 50k and once at 100K. Very seldom does it run under a 1/4
Old 01-12-2005, 06:19 PM   #22
Mr. Peabody
AF Newbie

From everything that I've read REELS you are correct. Allowing the gas level to get too low allows the pump to overheat.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:49 AM   #23
Randy II
AF Newbie

Re: Fuel Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck14247
Hello Everyone,
I think I also need a new Fuel Pump (but not 100% sure). I have just under 3,000 miles on my yukon. Can anyone please tell me the signs that I need a new one.

When I first start it up and go, there is alot of hesitation then she kick in and goes, almost like she wants to stall. (Is that one of the signs?)

Thanks
Sean

3000 miles certainly isn't much - I would have hoped that GM would have improved the fuel pump issue since I bought my Yukon in '96, but from all the comments, they haven't bothered too. Problem I had that led to fuel pump replacement at 125,000 miles was hard starting. No code had set and "check engine" light was not on.

Randy II
Old 01-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #24
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

Here's another stupid question--is the fuel pump in the NBS Yukon electronic or mechanical? My question isn't really related to this thread, but I ask because...on my POS '94 Nissan Sentra, the fuel pump died on me last year and I had no inkling that there may have been an issue with the fuel pump. The day it died, my car fired up just fine and dandy (no hesitation or multiple cranks of the starter needed), then later that same afternoon it wouldn't fire up at all.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:15 AM   #25
99DenaliMan
AF Newbie

have read that running your tank below 1/8 tank often reduces the life of the pump. The fuel helps keep it cool as it is submerged, and when you constantly run it low, it overheats, causing life to be short. My Yukon XL has 125k on it, and never changed it. Changed the filter twice, once at 50k and once at 100K. Very seldom does it run under a 1/4
Reels u r correct. Another reason this is bad for the pump and filter/possibly even beyond that point is because obviously there is crap in everything no matter how good it is filtered- Including gas. Therefore when the pump gets low that crap in the bottom of your tank breaks up and is also running through your pump (which I imagine lubricates the pump, Honestly I have no clue though) and filter. Clogging the filter even quicker.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:32 PM   #26
sprucegoose
AF Regular

Re: Re: How many have had to change their fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99DenaliMan
have read that running your tank below 1/8 tank often reduces the life of the pump. The fuel helps keep it cool as it is submerged, and when you constantly run it low, it overheats, causing life to be short. My Yukon XL has 125k on it, and never changed it. Changed the filter twice, once at 50k and once at 100K. Very seldom does it run under a 1/4
Yes, I believe the running the level low has to be bad for these pumps. I change the filters regularly (every year/ 20K) and never had that fail while I was driving it regularly and keeping the fuel level above 1/4. I passed the truck on to my wife as I picked up an Eldorado as my daily driver. She began her trick of draining it to to below E all the time. It failed 6 mo. after that... I rest my case!

'08 Chevy HHR SS, Victory Red, 5 spd. 2.0L Turbo, 52K mi.
'98 Buick Riviera, Black, 3.8L Super-Charged, 228K mi.
'98 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.7 Vortec, Black 241K mi.
'70 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400, 4spd 200k+ mi., in process restoration
'10 Dodge Grand Caravan SE, 11K mi.

Old 01-16-2005, 09:42 AM   #27
Randy II
AF Newbie

I see many replies regarding the fuel filter on the underside of the Yukon and how changing it protects the fuel pump. I have a couple questions:

1. The only filter I am aware of on Yukons is the one between the fuel tank (where the electric fuel pump is located) and the engine. How does changing that filter protect the fuel pump as the filter is down stream of the fuel pump?

2. Am I to believe that many are dropping their fuel tanks a couple times a year and changing the screen (I assume there is one) on the fuel pump?

Randy II
Old 01-24-2005, 07:36 PM   #28
Jeepin_CJ7
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy II
I see many replies regarding the fuel filter on the underside of the Yukon and how changing it protects the fuel pump. I have a couple questions:

1. The only filter I am aware of on Yukons is the one between the fuel tank (where the electric fuel pump is located) and the engine. How does changing that filter protect the fuel pump as the filter is down stream of the fuel pump?

2. Am I to believe that many are dropping their fuel tanks a couple times a year and changing the screen (I assume there is one) on the fuel pump?

Randy II
Randy,

I believe that changing the filter puts less stress on the fuel pump in getting the fuel to the engine. When I bought my 2000 Yukon @75k miles, I changed the filter and could not blow through it. The new one that I put on should make things easier on the pump. I plan on changing it once a year.

I don't have an answer to #2

P.S. I work at a tech school and our automotive instructor (many certifications) says the same thing as above about keeping at least 1/4 tank of gas in the vehicle. He drives an '02 Yukon XL.

-Alan
Old 01-26-2005, 04:21 AM   #29
lodownlv
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to lodownlv Send a message via Yahoo to lodownlv

finaly a 1997 yukon 130000 miles later i hate to say i had to change my fuel pump :-) i spoke too soon.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:23 AM   #30
lodownlv
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to lodownlv Send a message via Yahoo to lodownlv

another think the second fuel filter is the one in the tank it is connected to the fuel pump its called a skimmer.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon