Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 01:07 PM   #16
mymnte
AF Newbie

Re: Everything works, but the car won't turn over.

the problem is in the ignition with the the security, there are 2 very small cables that run from the ignition and they tend to come loose and break, especially if you use your tilt steering a lot, the cost for the ignition cylynder and keys is roughly $130 dollars and takes about an hour to fix, I had this same exact problem and it took 2 months and lots of people to figure it out. good luck
mymnte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:38 PM   #17
SpitAndDirt
AF Regular

Thanks for that info, I knew about the wires there by the ignition switch, I just didn't know they have a tendency to break off.
SpitAndDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:51 AM   #18
gixrrr
AF Newbie

check your relay for the security system i beleive it is in the dash on right side of car...i am working on a 95 monte carlo right now with the same problem..security wires are fine , key is new and fine ,ignition switch is fine,so the only thing i have left to check is the relay..(yes i checked all the other usaul things that go wrong starter fusible links and so on)good luck
gixrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:31 PM   #19
gixrrr
AF Newbie

update: i checked the relay in the car i am working on and it is good..now there is a security module it is located up under dash behind the glove box.it looks like that is bad..so i called the dealer to have them send me one and what do you know it is discontinued and can no longer get it.so now i have to get the wiring diagram for it so that i may bypass the whole unit....i should know something tomorrow and if i do i will update you so that it may help you in your problem...(if i cant find it tomorrow im telling the customer to take it to a dealer)
Old 08-27-2004, 07:55 PM   #20
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

I would bet it is in the cables in the ignition switch or leading up into it. I would take a meter and read the resistance on the key and then put the key in and unplug the VATS ribbon at the junction under the column, meter the ends going to the ignition switch. It shoud be the exact same with NO deviations.

The limp mode so you can drive this car is to turn the ignition on and leave it on for over 10 minutes without turning it over. The light on the dash should change and then you should be able to start it.
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:14 PM   #21
gixrrr
AF Newbie

the wires going to the key are fine they are brand new.customer put it in before he brought the car to me..i am sending the switch back to the dealer to make sure that they programed it when he bought it..i have checked everything else and they are all working properly..so i am hoping that the switch was never programed in the first place...
Old 08-30-2004, 04:58 PM   #22
Lubricant
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lubricant Send a message via AIM to Lubricant Send a message via Yahoo to Lubricant

The problem is the key. Contact a dealer to bring a master and start the car.
Lubricant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:32 PM   #23
gixrrr
AF Newbie

there is no MASTER KEY.the key for the car has to be programmed,if you do not have the origanal then gm has to be contacted and they will tell the dealer what the proper code for the key.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #24
Lubricant
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lubricant Send a message via AIM to Lubricant Send a message via Yahoo to Lubricant

Hmm, if there is no master key, explain how a tow truck was able to use one of 8 of their master GM keys to start my car?
Old 09-01-2004, 10:20 PM   #25
gixrrr
AF Newbie

the car is fixed and the key had the wrong chip init.the key we had was a correct fit to the lock cylinder.(the key turned the cylinder).the key and cylinder was taken back to the dealer ,gm was called they gave them the vin number and gm told them the proper chip that had to be in the key.the key was then programmed with the proper resistance for the vats control module.and whala the car started..

as for the tow truck starting your car well i dont know how he did it cause i own a towing company and i have had those supposed master key sets and they suck ass so he got lucky.does your key for your car have the chip in the key..cause i have nevr seen a master set with chips in them.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:43 AM   #26
mymnte
AF Newbie

the keys and the ignitions are pre programmed there is not a unique code for every vat ignition, there are i believe 6 different frequencies that the chip uses (maybe 4 cant remember) but when you get a new ignition they take your old key and check the readout in a machine, and then they pull that ignition that is on the same band and cut the key to match the teeth, .... and as a response to earlier about the wires not "appearing to be broken" when i replaced my ignition the wires appeared to be absolutely perfect but when the ignition was replaced it worked, the contacts in the ignition where just the slightest bit loose
Old 09-02-2004, 02:16 PM   #27
Lubricant
Banned

His key had no chip in it. He hooked something to the OBD2 device, played with my radio and it started.
I had to get a new key, they dont use freq's, its a resistance.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:52 PM   #28
mymnte
AF Newbie

There is no bypassing the vats system there has to be a chip in the key, if there where a master there would be a lot more cars stolen out there, when you go to repo a car you can bypass the vat only by yanking the wire from under the dash and then plugging in an extra cylinder you brought with key inserted and turned with you and then turning the ignition on the column the loop for that vat has to be completed (i may be wrong but this is what was explained and shown to me by a couple of repo/men and chevy mechanics) so sorry if i sound like a stroke
Old 09-02-2004, 08:40 PM   #29
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Guys, you are all kinda right and kinda wrong at the same time. Read this thread. Even though it talks about a Fiero, these systems are all the same through out the GM lines. http://home.t-online.de/home/O_Scholz/vats.html
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 06:48 PM   #30
SarahKaleone
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SarahKaleone
Thumbs up Problem Solved

THANK YOU to all who gave suggestions. We finally had to have it just looked at and it turns out that it was in fact the cables in the ignition that snapped due to heavy keys. So the ignition wasn't reading the chip on my key. Thank you all so much!
SarahKaleone is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo