Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 10:43 PM   #16
the blur
AF Enthusiast

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytone
One other thing--late model Yukon Denalis ('03+, maybe even since '02?) don't come with limited slip/locking differentials.
now that you mention that, I think my 03 Denali does NOT have a locking diff. I ordered every factory option, and limited diff was not an option!! and I already got stuck once, 1 back spun and 1 front spun, how useless !!!

I may have to investigate a locking diff, front and rear !! (if possible)
the blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 09:28 PM   #17
Eggert
AF Regular

Re: "Stabilitrak" vs. rear locking diff (2004 Yukon XL)

Guys, this is what I was going to get for my old Suburban before I got my Yukon that has a limited slip.
Auburn Gear actually makes the GM limited slip.
The ECTED is nifty as it is a limited slip that also can be locked.

http://www.auburngear.com/oemdifferentials/ected/
Take care, Eggert
Eggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 01:22 PM   #18
gene_sun
AF Newbie

Hey, eggert,

In your outstanding writeup where you listed "Denali type projector lights" as second most important must haves.

I have 04 Yukon with standard headlights (I think the bilb is 9005), can you explains what diefference between what I have and that of Denali's? is that HID ot even better? Do I just need new bulbs or a new kit including housing to covert?

thx!
gene_sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 06:51 PM   #19
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_sun
Hey, eggert,

In your outstanding writeup where you listed "Denali type projector lights" as second most important must haves.

I have 04 Yukon with standard headlights (I think the bilb is 9005), can you explains what diefference between what I have and that of Denali's? is that HID ot even better? Do I just need new bulbs or a new kit including housing to covert?

thx!
NBS Denalis use projectors for the low-beams, non-Denali Yukons do not. In addition, the low-beam bulb used on the Denali is a 9005; on the Yukon it is a 9006. Both Yukon and Denali use 9005 for high-beam. If you want your low beams to have an HID-like look, you can try using Sylvania Silverstars; OTOH if you want real HIDs you'll need to buy an HID conversion kit (consists of a 9006 or 9005 rebased bulb, ballast and starter). I won't go into details as to whether there is a noticeable difference in appearance and output between HID and halogen, in regards to their application on a Yukon or Denali, since such an observation can become a bit subjective--especially when it comes down to how HIDs look to others vs. how they look to you while you're behind the wheel.

Given that you have a Yukon, here's my opinion on what you could/should do, in order of increasing cost:

1) Find a set of Denali projector headlight housings to replace your regular ones, then pop in a couple of Silverstar 9005 bulbs (depending on whether you get OEM or aftermarket Denali projectors, you might need to use 9006 and modify the bulb opening a bit--ask Eggert about this);

2) Keep your Yukon non-projector housings and buy the 9006 HID conversion kit;

3) If you have lots of money to blow, buy both the Denali projector housings and the 9005 HID conversion kit.

In your case (note--my opinion applies only to Yukon/Denali) I'd avoid option 3, since IMHO you won't see that much of an improvement--if at all--in appearance and/or lighting over option 2. Choose option 3 only if you like the look of the Denali projectors over the regular Yukon ones. Option 2 costs a little bit more than option 1, depending on what kind of pricing you can get for projectors vs. that for an HID kit; having said that, I'd personally take option 2 over option 1.
tonytone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:51 PM   #20
Eggert
AF Regular

Re: "Stabilitrak" vs. rear locking diff (2004 Yukon XL)

Hi Gene_sun, please be so kind to read the following thread, it covers my headlight conversion from a regular Yukon headlight to the projector style of the Denali.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...76#post1814476

There is a link to the original thread, which has my source of those projector headlamps for $260 a pair, even comes with 4 Philips bulbs.

'Normal' Low beams are 9006, 'normal' High beams are 9005.
The connectors are the same EXCEPT for 2 notches for the 9005.
The 'Low Beam' Denali Projector lamps use the 9005 'High Beam' bulbs.
This lets them use a higher wattage to spread more light with more precision.
The beam pattern is closer to fog lights with an even spread in addition to the 'pencil' shape beam.
One note of caution is that you will have to use a kitchen knife to expand a groove in the light socket.
It will then take the 'old' 9006 and the 'new' 9005 bulbs. This is NOT a big deal, the plastic is soft, the groove is small.
It has the benefit that you can keep the projectors when you sell the car and put them in the new one.
If you prefer not to wield sharp implements, you could buy 9005 style sockets at the auto parts store and replace the old ones.

The light output is so good that HID is a waste of money, besides being illegal.
The cops do check for this now...

If you have the absolute need for HID lights, you owe it to the oncoming traffic to get the projector headlights with the tightly controlled beam pattern and put the HID kit in there.
The regular headlights will blind everybody in order for you to get some benefit of the higher powered light. The fill pattern is just not there, so you only get brighter pencils.
You may as well just put your high beams on.

Take care, Eggert
Eggert is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon