Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Which has the best performance?
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR FQ400 27 51.92%
2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 20 38.46%
2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R 5 9.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 11:32 PM   #76
Muscletang
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtdg19
Hp/L isn't what makes an engine better than another. To make an argument based upon this (not pointing fingers at anyone) is being ignorant. Take a more dynamic approach to this and you'll realize the pros and cons to any setup be it pushrod or dual overhead. But the main point is to understand these pros and cons and incorporate them in the design of the car.

I wouldn't know the exact stresses the engine creates, but I do know that a pushrod engine has more reciprocating force to overcome rather a DOHC. This pretty much means it takes more work for a pushrod engine to create work vs. the DOHC engine (one reason for their inability to rev in accordance with an OHC). DOHC engine makes sacrifices of its own due to its design. Overall, they consume more engine bay space, CG, expense.
So now you're calling me ignorant!?! Joking.
I know Hp/L doesn't make one engine better than another and I could name examples of why. That's not the point though I want to make.
The point I'm trying to make is that since the EVO's engine is smaller, making loads of power, it'll wear faster than a Corvette's over time. If you think I'm saying the Corvette's engine is better, no, I think the Corvette's will just last longer.

Ok, we all know engines are driven by small explosions inside of them and apply force onto the pistons. Since the EVO is only a 2.0L then it has smaller cylinders, pistons, combustion chamber, ect than what the Corvette's engine does. Do you not think it takes a bigger, stronger explosion to make one cylinder create 100 hp? Do you also think it'd take a smaller, weaker explosion for one cylinder to make 50 hp?
That's the point I want to make here. I think that since there's bigger, stronger explosions in the EVO's engine it'll slowly wear down faster than the Corvette's.

silly rabbit, tricks are for kids...

I mean, WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST GIVE HIM SOME CEREAL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Ulrich
What?! Record sales are slumping? Must be from all those pirates. Can't be because we started sucking 10 years ago.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:44 PM   #77
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
After reading back from my previous post Muscletang, I didn't realize I even quoted you hahaha. I was in no way trying to make my last post in any sort of reference to yours
Old 12-31-2004, 11:42 AM   #78
TatII
AF Fanatic

why don't you try comparing to a another engien since strenght/displacement ratio is in.

since its alittle hard to comprehend for a 400hp 4 cylinder to be reliable. why not compare it to a 450whp 6 cylinder then from a supra then? 3.0 liters is all it has. however 450whp in a stock supra doesnt' much now doesn't it?

thats still half the size of a 6.0 ls2, yet the supra can make that power with just bolt ons. do you see where i'm gettin at here?

its a thing called over engineering. those cars were designed for boost and high cylinder temp to begin with. also their rotating assembly is lightend from the forging process.

your v8's rotating assembly will be alot heavier by comparison and will not rev as high. to get your v8 to make more power n/a wise, your definitly gonna have to raise the redline as one of the mods. by making heavy engine internals rotate faster, your goin to put your stress on it in a different kind of way. now your worried about the rods or pistons shooting out the side of the block, instead of the pressure from a boost engine.

and even so running boost isn't that hard on the engine at all.

example: my stock engine came with cast iron pistons, and the ring lands don't even start to break till 400whp. and my pistons are weak as hell. what do you think they can do with just a change in the piston? the EVO comes with forged pistons already from the factory, also the MR comes with a BUILT engine from the factory. so of course 400hp is goin to be nothing.

example: i know a guy with a first gen talon AWD. he has a 20G turbo swaped in with nitrous, hes making over 400hp and he has over 180K miles bone stock internals. so hows that for reliablity of a 4 banger?

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
Old 12-31-2004, 12:24 PM   #79
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Re: EVO MR FQ400 vs. Corvette Z06 vs. Mustang Cobra R

" ~ Igor
Old 01-05-2005, 03:47 PM   #80
M3FordBoy
AF Regular

Do you think that the FQ400 has alot left in it, I would say you couldn't get a hole lot more power out of it and still be reliable right? While the Z06 motor is pretty mild there is alot more that could be done. You could have upwards of 600hp with out alot of upgrades and still have a reliable car. While you might be able to get that much with the FQ400 would take alot more work and have alot of stress and problems.

And if you watch the video it says that the tires only last 4,000miles and it looked like it turned worst than my dads crewcab long bed F-250 over 22' of truck. If you like the FQ400 over the Z06 thats up to you but I'll take a car that I can drive around town and not have to worry about if the parking lot is to small or do I have to change the tires yet.

And one last thing can you say turbo lag. Broad power band of a V8 is the way to go.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:57 PM   #81
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

mmmm turbo lag, in an evo it only lets you use about 6000RPM out of the 8000 it's good for... well thats where the torque curve is flat anyway.

tyres that it comes with wear out quickly cause they are soft compound, if you put soft compound on your vette you'd find they wore out too...

as for parking... if you have parks that can fir your dads guzzler then i'm sure they can fit an evo... my flat mate parks his easy enough...

good point though the evo is a highly stressed engine and getting more would take some work... and cash... but while the vette may not be quite as stressed its hardly an oldsmobile... and for every piston you have to replace on the evo you have two on the vette, and you don't have the option of winding the boost up without spending bulk cash... and then you have turbo lag, particularly if you don't match it all like the factory can...
Old 01-05-2005, 06:45 PM   #82
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: EVO MR FQ400 vs. Corvette Z06 vs. Mustang Cobra R

if your talking about gas guzzlers the evo only gets 4 miles to the gal!

watch the top gear movie
" ~ Igor
Old 01-05-2005, 06:51 PM   #83
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

naa i was talking about his dads truck. U.S trucks in general really.

the WRC EVO's get about that or 80L/100Km... so it figures that a highly worked factory EVO would be similar. can't see it doing that all the time personally, but no doubt if you're up it.... fuel and tyres are consumables.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:08 PM   #84
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: EVO MR FQ400 vs. Corvette Z06 vs. Mustang Cobra R

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3FordBoy

And if you watch the video it says that the tires only last 4,000miles and it looked like it turned worst than my dads crewcab long bed F-250 over 22' of truck.
Look I usually respect what you have to say, but come on dude, don't be stupid with stupid comments like that. There isn't any Ford vehicle that can handle better than the FQ400 period (nothing costing under $100,000)!
Old 01-05-2005, 07:15 PM   #85
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

.....i'm pretty sure a few ford puma drivers would raise a few eyebrows.....

sure it might not be as good in direct comparison
but for a fwd car, it's right up there with the best
so relatively speaking, it is as good.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:18 PM   #86
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

So You're Saying A Puma Will Out Handle An Fq400????
Old 01-05-2005, 07:22 PM   #87
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

I certainly hope he isn't, I really hope he isn't, because if he is, wow!!! Has Automotiveforums.com become this bad???
Old 01-05-2005, 07:39 PM   #88
TatII
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: EVO MR FQ400 vs. Corvette Z06 vs. Mustang Cobra R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000ways
Look I usually respect what you have to say, but come on dude, don't be stupid with stupid comments like that. There isn't any Ford vehicle that can handle better than the FQ400 period (nothing costing under $100,000)!
well he didn't mean turn as in handling. he means turn as in u-turn. and yes the EVO has a terrible turning radius. it has a turning radius of a minivan ( maybe worse ) i make fun of my friend all the time when he has a make a u-turn.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
Old 01-05-2005, 09:30 PM   #89
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

"So You're Saying A Puma Will Out Handle An Fq400?"

no.
man, can't you kids read?

what i posted.

sure it might not be as good in direct comparison
but for a fwd car, it's right up there with the best
so relatively speaking, it is as good
Old 01-05-2005, 11:50 PM   #90
Right_LiRrr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Right_LiRrr

This is turning into a Jap vs American car debate....which is unwinnable. The American car lovers will go after turbo lag, engines blowing, tiny engines, no torque; while the jap lovers will go after the gas guzzling, poor build quality, heaviness.....the dance that neever ends =D

I have to say though, the MR Evo will own the vette around a track. American cars are built for drag, it's in their culture. However, I'm not impressed with drag times higher than 10seconds, if you want to drag go build drag cars. When it comes to road cars, track times are much more impressive.

My .02c

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons