Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 08:55 AM   #16
Bigjohnjr
AF Newbie

Ok first of all, my van has 1 fan.
The fan has 4 wires.

The temp sensor is connected to the temp gauge.

My van has only 2 relays. High speed and low speed.

The part number for the sensor is 077119003 170 degree sensor and it cost 16.99

It attaches on the upper radator hose, it straps around it, then I wired it to a NEW relay and then to relay to the fan.

It is really simple to hook up. With the sensor from jegs they give a simple diagram on how to hook it up.

I did use a fuse, I used a 30amp.

You NEED a relay! The fan draws way to much current for the sensor to handle. You can be a relay at any local auto store or from Jegs if you wish.

If I were you I would be the senors and get a relay and fix it so it does not boil over, over heating is really bad for the engine.
Bigjohnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 06:15 PM   #17
akmadmike
AF Newbie

John, I ordered the Jegs Perma-Cool Fan wiring kit $17.99
It comes with the 170 degree Sensor, fuse and wiring.
I also ordered the Perma-Cool A/C Relay $7.99.
They say you need it for a 2 fan system. We'll see how it all ties
together on their instructions. The bummer is that living in Alaska
the shipping and handling is more than the parts!
Still better than taking it to a shop I think.
Thanks for all the help!! I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!!! Mike
akmadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:03 AM   #18
Bigjohnjr
AF Newbie

When my van first broke down (overheated when stuck in traffic) I had the van towed to a garage and the person there told me that the fan was bad he gave me price of $379.00 for the fan plus labor.

I drove the van home, hoping not to get stuck in traffic again, I went to a local junk yard and got another fan for $100.00.

I put it in and I thought that was it, all done.

I let the van run and it over heated again, thats when I went and checked everything out.

I never would have thought that so many people have the same problem.

Not just here but also at my job, 2 people have the same problem, one is a 91 and the other is a 92.

This must be common problem for these vans, another poor design by chrysler.

Why make simple fan such a completed circuit?

It does not have to be that way, as I have proven. A simple temp sensor and a relay. It just works. The coolant gets hot and the temp sensor conducts, pulls in the relay, fan comes on.

No need for high speed and a low speed.

One more relay connected to the a/c clutch to turn on the fan when the a/c unit is on.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:15 AM   #19
akmadmike
AF Newbie

Better!

I got the Jegs order in today. I had a little problem figuring out how my van needed to be hooked up. I did not use the Diagram B but used Diagram C without the Relay for the A/C Clutch, mine has a seperate relay for that. The downside for this hookup is that once the van is turned off, the fan can still run until the temp is below 170. The first time it only ran for maybe 3-4 minutes. I don't know what kind of strain this puts on the battery as of yet. I think the battery end of the hook up can be routed with the ignition so it can turn off the power to the fan insted of waiting on the sensor. I will be looking into that.
All I can say is thanks to BigJohnJR.!! This fixed cost aprox $55 dollars!
50% of that was shipping up here to Alaska! I don't even want to know what a shop would have charged to fix it!
I have liked my 92 AWD 3.3 Grand Voyager since I have owned
it. I had to have a new transmission put in at around 30,000. Thank-you
extended warranty! New struts, 2 starters, waterpump and this issue.
The transmission has a clunk in it sometimes. I am worried about this
in the long term. Other owners I know have it also. I guess I have been pretty lucky. Thanks again BigJohnJR!!!

I am going to be a regular at this web site to see what else I can learn and hopefully share. Mike
akmadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 09:57 AM   #20
Bigjohnjr
AF Newbie

Congrats on the install!

I still do not understand why they made a simple thing like a cooling fan so complicated.

It does not have to be that way.

Mine fan shuts off when I turn off the van, I did not want to kill the battery.

John
Old 07-15-2004, 10:43 PM   #21
pbrian
AF Newbie

Re: Thanks but still confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmadmike
John, The grounding of the sensor wire did not get the fan going.
I guess the sensor could still be good? I am a bit confused by the
high speed low speed thing. I know I have 2 fans. The one on the passengers side is for the A/C. It comes on when the A/C inside is on and the blower on high. The Fan on the radiator is the problem.

My Hayes book shows the 4 relays. If I am reading it right the the third one in from the front of van as the Radiator fan relay.
Does this sound right?

I am courious about your fix. How exactly did you mount the Jeg's
sensor? I could not find a universal temp sensor on Jegs web site. Does it replace the original? Did you run the wiring from the fan
motor to the sensor then to the relay? Did you use the same type of
relay as the original? How does the fuse fit in?
I hope this is not too many questions but I just hate to have to take
it to the shop and start getting the run around or over charged for
something I could take care of. I have done a bit of work on this
93 3.3 AWD Grand Voyager. Replaced starter, water pump, o2 sensor,
radio replacement. I am not very knowledgable on electrical things though.

Have you ever done the 'code' thing? I get a 34 I think this has been on there for a while and unrelated. When I had the temp sensor unplugged I got a 22. Coolant sensor voltage too high or too low.
Never got a 35 Radiator fan relay circuit problem.

It is really great to read other peoples experiences. You all have helped
just sharing the info!! I really like my van and hope to keep it until I can afford a Hemi Ram Pickup. I just dread the day that I can no longer keep up with the technology for minor problems.

Thanks again.
Mike
its the engine control modual drivers side fender wall it controls everything to do with the engine and cooling when you turn on the ac it tells the computer to turn the fan on when the temp gets high your cooling sen tells the computer to kick the fan on so your sencer is good your relays are good so your computer is getting the message but isnt turning the fan on you could get a computer a junk yard for about fifty bucks but make sure its the right on their is a 7 didgit number on it make sure it matches the new one thy have a hole bunch of difrent ones a new one at advance is about 250 bucks
pbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:01 PM   #22
Bigjohnjr
AF Newbie

Yes that is true, you can change the engine control modual. I tried to find one at the local junkyard and was told he wanted $200.00 for it.

For $25.00 I added a new temp sensor and it works perfect.

Either way works.

John
Old 07-28-2004, 11:08 PM   #23
chazmuffin
AF Newbie

Talking rad fan and A/C not working repairs

i think Whitney may have the answer. i just got the same problem this includes the following symtoms... over heating, resevoir overflowing, radiator fan quit, shortly after this in a period of two days the A/C quit. contacted a very close friend and mechanic, he said" check for fusible link by the starter. i didn't find one by the starter but after following the power wire(check to ground to see which this is) not the ground wire up the harness where it went to relay and changed colors and then under driver side hood hinge found wire changed to a very small 20 guage wire and orange. this wire was burned and after doing a temporary jump found it was the problem. still need to replace this with a lead and a fuse. this wire looks odd and i'm not sure how this small wire can carry the amps that the fan needs cuz it is so small. radiator fan works and A/C came back on immediately. cost of repair? 10 cents worth of wire, 2- 5 cent butt splices and 45 mins time. i love my mechanic. 92 dodge caravan 3.3
chazmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:10 PM   #24
chazmuffin
AF Newbie

Re: Overheating......Radiator Fan Not running... Help

stupid server this isn't the thread i was in.
chazmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 01:07 AM   #25
nomoparknowledge
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Overheating......Radiator Fan Not running... Help

on your 98 you have a fan relay on the bottom right as you stand in front of your car. it is below your cooling fans they run in my area about 80 dollars or check your local junk yard. also the relay may need new screws it is an update from chrysler for remounting this relay in a different spot on the inner driver side frame.. good luk kelly
nomoparknowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 01:15 AM   #26
nomoparknowledge
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Overheating......Radiator Fan Not running... Help

on your 98 you have a fan relay on the bottom right as you stand in front of your car. it is below your cooling fans they run in my area about 80 dollars or check your local junk yard. also the relay may need new screws it is an update from chrysler for remounting this relay in a different spot on the inner driver side frame.. good luk kelly
nomoparknowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:35 PM   #27
mr2tall18
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to mr2tall18
1993 2.5 no a/c or fan

We had to pay someone to put a new fuel pump in our van. While they did that we asked if they could fix the A/C and the Fan they found that a Fuseable link went bad so now everything is workin.
mr2tall18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 11:46 AM   #28
Kavik
AF Newbie

Re: 1993 2.5 no a/c or fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2tall18
We had to pay someone to put a new fuel pump in our van. While they did that we asked if they could fix the A/C and the Fan they found that a Fuseable link went bad so now everything is workin.
Where might this fuse be on a 94 Grand Voyager 3.8L. I'm in the same boat as everyone above. I've done the fan rewire on other vehicles, but I would like to keep the wifes car stock. And if it turns out to be just a fuse...
Already replaced the fan and bought a temp sensor, But not installed yet. I would like to return the sensor or get the right one, if I could find the fuse you guys are talking about.

Thanks for your help.

BTW, It's damn hot here in Phoenix, so I have to fix this pronto!

Thanks again...
Kavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 01:26 PM   #29
mr2tall18
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to mr2tall18
Re: Overheating......Radiator Fan Not running... Help

On our van the fusible links were on the driver side under the hood they ran along the fender . If they are not there on your van maybe take it up to auto zone if yall have one and they should be able to pull it up and even show you.
mr2tall18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 08:06 PM   #30
verncoc
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

My daughters car, a 1997 Dodge caravan, cooling fan wasn't running.
The Service engine light was on with a 35 code. This code points to an open or short in the cooling fan curcuit.
I replaced the Cooling fan relay, located on the drivers side frame member by the radiator. Has a 4 wire plug. Its an elecronic relay/switch.
Napa carries the part but was out of stock, they wanted about $60.00. Got it from the local Dodge dealer for about $70.00. It was special order from Autozone.
The part fixed the problem.
verncoc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager