Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 02:47 PM   #16
94bigblazer
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 94bigblazer

The silver is on the metal disc in between the numbers is the giveaway - when you're (this is a no no) rolling back the numbers, the discs positions must coinside with each other, if not, you have cocked numbers, and the taletale silver, this is a rush job.

This is a genuine odo.

How do I know this? I like to take stuff apart.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #17
Riche
AF Regular

Riche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 12:35 PM   #18
localyokel
AF Newbie

Re: Odometer Rollback on Ebay, Pretty Funny

Many thanks to 94bigblazer for sharing this info w/ us.This info will come in handy to anyone who reads this next time they go car shopping.VERY VALUEABLE INFORMATION!!!
localyokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:03 PM   #19
goinbig
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to goinbig

94bigblazer, this is an Excellent post!!!! It is very good information for people to keep in mind when buying a vehicle!

That one has definatly been rolled back. I think you should definatly report him. And, I would send an e-mail to whoever buys the vehicle...so they can go after him too.
goinbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:43 PM   #20
98SilvyKid
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 98SilvyKid

I'm on your side all the way man. That guy selling the Tahoe is a major jerk. Even if he didn't do anything, he was still overly defensive. I went car shopping a lot online before I got my truck a year ago, and none of the odometer pictures had that "white stuff" behind the numbers, and some of them were pretty bad shots.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:38 PM   #21
markqc
AF Regular

I noticed that the silver color shows between the zero and the first 9 and between the first 9 and second 9. Why would the other numbers not show the silver color between them? Would the rollback affect the numbers from left to right or right to left? I purchased my 1996 truck from a dealership in 1998 (1 1/2 years old with 39000KM on it) I did not know to look for this "rollback condition", but given the age and the fact that it was sold by the dealer I would not suspect this type of problem. Well I looked at my odometer after reading this post and see a silver color between every number. I now have 176000KM. It doesn't really make sense that a 1 1/2 year old vehicle being sold at a dealer would have a rolled back odometer but I guess anything is possible. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark
markqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 11:16 PM   #22
Wheeler88
AF Newbie

I had a good look at my odometer today when I had to console apart. Mine has 3 disks in between the digits from the left side. The black part is painted, meaning there is silver both above and below the digits. The disc appear stationary and its the numbers that roll between them. You don't need to turn the wheels if you misinstall. This way you could set back the 1 hundred thousand digit back to zero. But the silver will show. I'm not sure and the more I try to explain it the more it sounds like I'm writing a primer to break odometer laws. I don't want to that.
77,000 miles
2nd tranny
Peeling Paint - Defective Factory Paint
235/85/16 BFG MT
Wheeler88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:01 AM   #23
TaNK_Em
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to TaNK_Em Send a message via MSN to TaNK_Em Send a message via Yahoo to TaNK_Em

What a jerk, I have never heard of this either and thanks for the information. Ill have to look at my trucks odometer and make sure everythings ok hehe.

- Kevin

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
- General George Patton Jr
TaNK_Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:45 AM   #24
abaird
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by markqc
Well I looked at my odometer after reading this post and see a silver color between every number. I now have 176000KM. It doesn't really make sense that a 1 1/2 year old vehicle being sold at a dealer would have a rolled back odometer but I guess anything is possible. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark

I can see silver between every number on mine too. And I know it wasn't rolled back. You can see it when you get really close.
abaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:06 PM   #25
markqc
AF Regular

Hey abaird, at least I'm not the only one. (I assume you are the original owner of your vehicle.) This may sound silly, but would there be a difference for odometers in miles or km's? This just seems too wierd.
BTW, the numbers on my odometer line up perfectly, unlike the e-bay one in question.

Mark
Old 04-14-2005, 11:11 PM   #26
cordovaass
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to cordovaass
i work on cars for a living and after reading this post i looked at my 1990 and its got black spaces between the numbers but when i got to work i looked a 6 different gm's and they all got the silver. i dont think they are all rolled back... i think the the silver or white between the numbers means nothing. and the numbers not being in a straight line.. well thats just old technology.... i agree that the guy is a jerk but i dont agree that the odo was rolled back.
cordovaass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:53 AM   #27
mbumgua
AF Regular

GM designed these odometers to show a white or silver line between the numbers on the odometer if there has been tampering with the odometer.Look it up in your Helm repair manual. It shows the complete details. The ebay picture shows a odometer in which the first three numbers have been changed.
mbumgua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:36 AM   #28
neuroplague
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to neuroplague
Wow really bad ODO rollback... the numbers are as crooked as the guy selling this truck. I just feel bad foor the poor sob that ends up with this Tahoe. Over the years there seems to be an ever increasing number of scumbag sellers on ebay. I have gotten into many an argument with some of these scam artists about hidden shipping costs and misrepresented items. Every time I see someone pulling this sort of stuff I make an effort to contact the people bidding on the item just to let them know what they are getting into. A good way to do this is to check if the high bidder is selling an item and contact him through the question form. Just like this guy ... sellers tend to get very hot tempered and defensive when you call them on their scams. Everyone here should flood this guys inbox with questions and acusations just to force him to remove the listing. Its just a shame that ebay doesnt help too much when it comes to dishonest sellers like this guy.
neuroplague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:09 AM   #29
markqc
AF Regular

mbumgua,

The owners manual which came with my truck also explains the "tamper proof odometer" feature as silver between the numbers. I just don't think my odometer was changed before I bought the truck. It doesn't make sense. The person who is selling the tahoe in question may or may not know what the silver between the numbers means, but he is obviously not a good people person/salesman and his attitude leads one to be suspicious.

abaird, can you confirm that you are the original owner of your vehicle. Then maybe we can figure out why we have the silver color between the numbers on an odometer that was not tampered with.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-15-2005, 08:34 AM   #30
jveik
AF Enthusiast

lol he could just use a drill and have it go to 1,000,000 miles and reset it to zero and it would be all good
jveik is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K