Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: change lube in tranny?
would change lube 51 91.07%
would not change lube 5 8.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 03:10 PM   #16
2500HD4x4
AF Newbie

Smile Re: tranny oil change?

Regular pan drains / filter replacements and flushes have kept my 4L80E happy for 307,000 miles and still as smooth as can be.

1993 Silverado 2500
5.7L - 4x4 w/ Eaton Locking Diff
449,000 MILES
Old 01-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #17
2500HD4x4
AF Newbie

Smile Re: tranny oil change?

Regular pan drains/filter replacements and flushes (at different intervals) have kept my 4L80E happy for over 307,000 miles and still as smooth as can be.

1993 Silverado 2500
5.7L - 4x4 w/ Eaton Locking Diff
449,000 MILES
Old 01-30-2006, 01:36 AM   #18
wonder squirrel
AF Newbie

Re: tranny oil change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ob-1
A few years ago we put a plow on the truck and that forced me to better maintain the transmission. One trick that works for us is to put in a drain plug in the pan and change out the fluid every time the oil is changed. This has been very effective. We have never had any transmission problems at all with 105,000 miles and plowing over 100 driveways a storm. I also installed a cooler and a transmission temperature gage to monitor it as best as possible.

HTH,
Bruce
I was just curious how you went about installing the trans temp sensor? Did you just drill a hole and weld in a bung for it?

Also, do any of you guys run a deep pan to hold a few extra quarts of atf?

Old 01-30-2006, 06:58 AM   #19
Ob-1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel
I was just curious how you went about installing the trans temp sensor? Did you just drill a hole and weld in a bung for it?

Also, do any of you guys run a deep pan to hold a few extra quarts of atf?

No drilling was necessary. I used an inline sending unit (sensor). It goes in the transmission line close to the transmission and uses compression fittings with a spade connector for the electric signal to the gage. The only key is to make sure you install the sending unit on the line flowing to the radiator/tranny cooler. There are other types out there that let you drill and install the sending unit in the pan itself, but I liked this method better.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #20
wonder squirrel
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ob-1
No drilling was necessary. I used an inline sending unit (sensor). It goes in the transmission line close to the transmission and uses compression fittings with a spade connector for the electric signal to the gage. The only key is to make sure you install the sending unit on the line flowing to the radiator/tranny cooler. There are other types out there that let you drill and install the sending unit in the pan itself, but I liked this method better.
Do you remember what kit you bought? This sounds like a pretty easy install and a good way to do it overall

Old 01-31-2006, 09:33 AM   #21
Bob B
AF Regular

[quote=wonder squirrel]Do you remember what kit you bought? This sounds like a pretty easy install and a good way to do it overall

----------------------------------------------------
I used a kit from B&M the tranny builders. It also used the tee in the line which came in the box.
After looking at 3 gauges that NAPA got in, I decided the numbers were too compressed in the area of normal operating temp.
Then I remembered a speed shop so I went there and they showed me a kit from B&M.
I immediately bought it. The numbers are in the correct range, and the face is color coded for a quick glance. The kit even included a mounting bracket.
Bob B
Old 01-31-2006, 05:06 PM   #22
Ob-1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Do you remember what kit you bought? This sounds like a pretty easy install and a good way to do it overall

Mine didn't come in a kit. It's just a VDO gage I installed on the pillar windshield column. I used a brass tee to install the sending unit in. The gage is not linear reading, it's logarithmic. I can't remember the price, but it was cheap to do. Under 50, I think.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:59 PM   #23
wonder squirrel
AF Newbie

Did you guys just cut into the steel tranny lines and use rubber hose for the T fittings? Or is there already just rubber lines running out to the cooler?

My 89' had steel lines, so I'm assuming they still use those today even (I'm too lazy to go outside and look right now)

<- that smiley is funny
Old 02-01-2006, 10:14 AM   #24
Bob B
AF Regular

Quote:
Did you guys just cut into the steel tranny lines and use rubber hose for the T fittings? Or is there already just rubber lines running out to the cooler?

My 89' had steel lines, so I'm assuming they still use those today even (I'm too lazy to go outside and look right now)

<- that smiley is funny
-----------------------------------------------------------------
My 97 had steel lines.
BTW, NAPA showed me three gauges, one was VDO. But they all were too compressed at the temperature of interest and went wat too high so the face was hard to use. Maybe the one mentioned previously is better.
The B&M is very much better especially for a quick glance.
The B&M part number is 80212.
Bob B

Last edited by Bob B; 02-01-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:17 PM   #25
liderchris
AF Newbie

definetly flush it but do the filter as well
Old 02-28-2006, 09:14 PM   #26
Elbert
AF Regular

pull pan, swap fluid and filter, do this every 30K unless you drive the truck hard or tow a lot, then do more often.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:34 PM   #27
glenncof
AF Regular

I've heard many bad things about flushing. Why risk it.

Had a 1991 Range Rover with 178,000 miles; I drained the Chrysler tranny every third oil change starting at about 100K. It cost $6 gallon of quality ATF. Cheap compared to replacement. Only 1/4 of the capacity comes out each time, So after 5 changes it's basically all new fluid. It ran smoooth... on shifts. Acutally improved over time.

It had a drain plug which made it a snap at oil change.

I have a 1997 Tahoe, drained pan/new filter ay 100K. Soccer mom, car light duty. Filter looked clean. If I was keeping it I would put in drain plug.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:42 PM   #28
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Dear wonder squirrel,

In regard to the deep trans pan inquiry, probably a waste of money. It will take longer for the fluid to reach operating temperature and cause additional expense when you service the trans. You ARE using at least Mobil 1 ATF ($5 qt.) and preferably Redline D4 ATF ($10 qt.), aren't you?

If you think your trans is overheating, install a good cooler on the front of the radiator. Your local trans expert can advise best size for your loaded vehicle weight and climate.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #29
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub006
Dear wonder squirrel,

In regard to the deep trans pan inquiry, probably a waste of money. It will take longer for the fluid to reach operating temperature and cause additional expense when you service the trans. You ARE using at least Mobil 1 ATF ($5 qt.) and preferably Redline D4 ATF ($10 qt.), aren't you?

If you think your trans is overheating, install a good cooler on the front of the radiator. Your local trans expert can advise best size for your loaded vehicle weight and climate.

A person needs to stay with the transmission fluid that the manufacture calls for in his car/truck for it to have a long and happier life.
MT
Old 03-02-2006, 06:41 PM   #30
Mr. Smith
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Smith

Never flush it unless you want crap in your transmission. It's like a junkie using a dirty needle.

Change the filter clean the pan and refill with a quality fluid.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K