Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #46
AngelsCharlie
AF Newbie

Re: Coolant Leak

I have a 99 Tahoe Z71 with two coolant leaks. the first is the pipe fitting on the front of the manifold the fitting aprox. 2" long quick connector is made from a pot metal and as coolant gets old it will start to break down and eat, yes I said EAT metal ! so make sure you change this every 30,000 to 40,000 mls. So the replacement is better quality. My part broke off in my hands. Just take your time and pick out the pieces while running a vacuum next to the hole. once you have all or most of it out chase the threads with a tap 1/2" 14tpi SAE pipe thread. Prlace the part and fill with new coolant.

The second was the drivers side rear lower intake manifold. You CANNOT retorque the bolts and be done if it is leakingthe gasket is compromised and you may have exsesive pitting in the manifold and or heads. The gaskets blow by and to tighten the bolts may help for a short while but the damage is done and it must be repaired.

A repair to the pitted aluminum mainfold I am using is to sand flat the surface, clean good and use a film of JB WELD let it harden sand again and this will fill the pits caused by corrosive fluid. This should work for years to come.

This job is quoted for an automotive shop at 4 hours. At home it may be a full day or two depending.
AngelsCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote