Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 01:04 PM   #1
Qingster
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Qingster
97 CV - Cant Shift out of Park

This is my everyday car for school work etc. Any help with this would be much appreciated before i contact a local ford dealer.

This morning when i started my vehicle, the shifter would not engage...depress the brake several times and still wont disengage. Sister also told me the brake lights in the rear of the car didn't engage either....now i checked fuses under dash - Fuse #1 (thats what it says) and replaced it...that when it goes POP! now 2-15 AMP fuses are trashed...and car still wont shift out of park.. PLEASE PLEASE HELP

BTW....anyone know how to reset the engine check light on these cars too. =)

THANKS A MILLION!!!!
Qingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 02:41 PM   #2
ModMech
AF Enthusiast

Re: 97 CV - Cant Shift out of Park

For the shifting, check you fuses, and the BOO (brake on off) switch. If your brake lamps do not work, you will not be able to shift from "P" either.

Autozone will read your codes for free.
ModMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:20 PM   #3
Qingster
AF Newbie

Thanks ModMech...
Still i already did the basic run prior and i found fuse #1 to constantly burn out instantly..and where is the BOO switch located?
Old 11-06-2004, 10:14 AM   #4
ModMech
AF Enthusiast

The BOO is under the driver's dash attached where the brake pedal and the brake pushrod meet at the pedal. Two greenish wires, on always hot (if the fuse is good), and the other is the brake signal wire.

Now, if the fuse blows ONLY when you step on the brake pedal, unplug the Multi Function Switch (T/S switch) connectors and retry. If it now does NOT blow, I would strongly suspect a shorted MFS.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:32 AM   #5
Qingster
AF Newbie

OK i solved the problem..the wire harness located under the rug on the drivers side..rigth below the fuse box was wet..so i did the dumb but best way to figure that out. :-D use dmy paper clip and saw white smoke cookig in there..so a pair of wire cutters and a split connecter and about 20 minute of blow drying fixed it. NOW! i need to figure out where the water came from since everything else is dry..hmmmm

But thatnks again MOD....i did do that earlier with the switch but i didn't knwo what it was called:-p

You wouldn't happen to know how i can reset the ENGINE check light on the dash..was easy to do on my buddies acura...but this seems more complicated.,oh well!
Old 11-07-2004, 09:59 AM   #6
ModMech
AF Enthusiast

You can't without a scan tool.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:15 PM   #7
radioman2002
AF Regular

Most times if there isn't a hard code and even then, diconnecting the battery for 5 min or so will clear it. If it comes back on the you have a problem, that would have to be read with a scantool.
radioman2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
Rjvoss
AF Newbie

I know that this post if from a long time ago, but i just had the exact same problem on my 96 CV PI this morning. I found that brake fluid from a leaky master cylinder can trickle down and collect in the fuse block cover. The brake lamp fuse, being Fuse #1 is the only fuse affected because it is closest to the bottom. As of right now, i am letting everything air out hoping that the problem will go away after i put a new fuse in it.
Rjvoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:13 PM   #9
Dondo
AF Newbie

if you have the owners manual it will tell you how to get it out of park,,,, you have to shut the key off,,, pressing park brake and set it,,, turn the key on and start the car,,, and then release the park brake.. you have to do that every time you shut the car off and place it in park.. The reason it does that is because your brake lights are not working,,, could be the brake light switch,, or a broken wire..
Mine did it because of a broken wire when the police stripped it for auction

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/dondo5853/
Dondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
snakecan2
AF Newbie

this site has been very helpful for my vehicles and had to look to help a friend out..

Possibly add this as a solution/possible fix/problem for shifting issue.

Yes the #1 fuse was blown, but brake lights still would not come on nor shift properly.. not sure of the name of the little gadget.. but on the brake pedal is a sensor as opposed to a piston switch.. it was loose and would not detect that the brake was being engaged to set the brake lights on nor the shifting lock..

wiggled it and not sure if is should be as loose as it is but problem fixed and will keep an eye out to see if needs to be replaced.

thanks forum members again
snakecan2 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria