Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #16
homeskillet43
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to homeskillet43
Re: How to check "air ride" suspension - looking to buy used Town Car

That is not true. You have to have something on cars to make them different. It is a load leveling system. There is no need for load leveling in a Kia Rio. If a coil conversion is a great ride for you, so be it. I will never convert again.
homeskillet43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #17
All2kool
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeskillet43 View Post
That is not true. You have to have something on cars to make them different. It is a load leveling system. There is no need for load leveling in a Kia Rio. If a coil conversion is a great ride for you, so be it. I will never convert again.
I stick to my original point about engineers taking one part and making it into many, it just is not needed. And if vehicles needed 'load leveling', even Kia Rio's, they would be equipped with it. I can see we are on opposite sides of the fence here and I'm perfectly OK with that. I'm also quite OK with never being towed or being a low-rider too. And for the record, did you miss the part about 'Variable Rate'?
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #18
homeskillet43
AF Regular

Never heard of variable rate coil springs. That is interesting to know that they act similar to the air bags in the car. A variable rate spring uses coils of varying thickness or spacing to provide a soft ride when the vehicle is lightly loaded, but a firmer ride when the load increases. I have to watch a video on how these springs work without any electronics. I never knew of springs to change depending on the load. You have definitely taught me something today.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #19
All2kool
AF Regular

Quote:
Never heard of variable rate coil springs. That is interesting to know that they act similar to the air bags in the car. A variable rate spring uses coils of varying thickness or spacing to provide a soft ride when the vehicle is lightly loaded, but a firmer ride when the load increases. I have to watch a video on how these springs work without any electronics. I never knew of springs to change depending on the load. You have definitely taught me something today.
These are the same type of Coil Spring you will find in the Crown Victoria and other Ford vehicles. Click HERE to see the Moog Variable Rate Coil Spring, it has the varying thickness and design you speak of.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #20
homeskillet43
AF Regular

So you still have a load leveling system. That is why you don't have that sag. I thought all coil springs were created the same. yeah, if you would have used the constant rate springs, you would have that good ole sag.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #21
All2kool
AF Regular

Quote:
So you still have a load leveling system. That is why you don't have that sag. I thought all coil springs were created the same. yeah, if you would have used the constant rate springs, you would have that good ole sag.
I cannot argue with both points.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car