Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
wmuwop
AF Newbie

P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire

Greetings!

I figured before I took my Explorer (2003 4x4 4.0L V6 35,000 Miles) to the shop for diagnostics I'd put this thread out there. Perhaps someone knowledgeable here can help me with my problem.

After a long trip I noticed that my car was idling a little rough when stopped and in drive. The check engine light came on a couple of days later. I took it in and the code showed a cylinder 5 misfire. I then replaced the plug: no change. I replaced the wire: no change. I then replaced the coil and there was still no change in the rough idle.

At this point I'm hoping someone can offer some insight before I take it in for repair.

All Best,
Joe
wmuwop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire

A misfire can also be due to a lack of fuel, not just a lack of spark. Of course it could also be due too too much fuel or low compression, but we'll assume the compression on such a low mileage engine is fine.

If you fuel injector is not spraying enough fuel, or is not shutting off, it could cause your misfire. You might start by adding a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to your fuel tank and giving it 50 or so miles to do it's thing. If after 50 miles you don't notice any improvement, and you are not up for troubleshooting it yourself, then it's time to make that appointment.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
wmuwop
AF Newbie

I forgot to mention that I did use fuel injector cleaner about 100 miles ago. Should I put another bottle in?
wmuwop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:40 AM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

Did the bottle you added seem to make any improvement? If so, then you might try another. If not, then a second treatment probably won't help.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2003 , cel , cylinder misfire , explorer , plugs
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac