Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 12:33 PM   #1
Ricochet
Banned

CV boot and Axle replacement help

Okay my driver's side CV boot tore open and I'm going to replace it. I haven't checked the damage inside yet, but it's been open for a good 3-4 months now and I'm sure it's not pretty. While driving at freeway speeds the car wobbles left and right and I have to constantly correct it to go straight, it's really annoying. Can somebody give me a rundown on the tools/parts I'll need? I have an LSD if that makes a difference.
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 01:11 PM   #2
cvcc_wagon
AF Enthusiast

Re: CV boot and Axle replacement help

are you replaceing the boot or the entire axel?
Old 12-31-2003, 01:23 PM   #3
Ricochet
Banned

It depends if anything inside is chewed up or not.. I'll probably just replace the boot right now, christmas rode me broke..
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 04:47 PM   #4
maxspeedhonda
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to maxspeedhonda Send a message via Yahoo to maxspeedhonda
If you are just replacing the boot, then all you need is the replacment boost and basic hand tools. Most replacment boots seperate so you just wrap it around the joint and clamp it.
maxspeedhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 04:47 PM   #5
cvcc_wagon
AF Enthusiast

well i guess it dosnt really make a difference, you still have to take the axil out of the car. i have done it on my car a couple times and the problems i ran into the first time was how to get the cv nut off, i broke a 1/2" craftsman wrench (6 foot pole on the end ) then a breaking bar before i went to a local tire shop to have them take an impact wrench to it (the one i have at home was not strong enough, cheep) once i got that off i still had the problem of having to remove the lower control arm from the base of the hub, i was told by a friend that i would not have to but in the end i did. im not sure how it is with your car but i would try pulling the axil out the back of the hub with the wheels turned without pulling part the ball joint just to save the trouble but if you do have to pull it apart you will need a ball joint puller; basic puller: large screw driver. little better:its called a ball joint puller, basically a thing that looks like a large tuning fork (what i used, about $10) best option but $$: also called a joint puller, im sure honda makes it, basically it separates the ball joint with a threaded bolt to force it apart w/o damaging it. the axil just slips into the transmission and had a ring on the end of it to hold it in (imagine a piston ring that fits loosely) with a little playing around it should just slip out. other than a ball joint puller and an impact wrench powerful to get the cv nut off i dont think there ar any more special tools. its not very difficult to do. the first time i did the remove and replace and had all the tools it only actually took me 45 minutes but
Old 12-31-2003, 04:52 PM   #6
cvcc_wagon
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxspeedhonda
If you are just replacing the boot, then all you need is the replacment boost and basic hand tools. Most replacment boots seperate so you just wrap it around the joint and clamp it.
i didnt know that, if that is the case then ignore everything i said
Old 12-31-2003, 06:02 PM   #7
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Re: Re: CV boot and Axle replacement help

I wouldn't bother with a boot if its been open for that long. Reman. axle runs about $60

For seperating the ball joint without a puller, run the nut down to the end & hit with hammer - no need to beat it, couple good hits should do it- the shock is what makes seperate. If your gonna get the right tool, get a puller not seperater(tuning fork) - that will tear the boot.

The 36mm axle nut can be a bitch to remove without an impact.

If you can't seperate the axle from knuckle hit the axle(center) with a hammer while pulling out on the knuckle.

Use a flat screwdriver to pry the axle out of the differential.

better yet . . . http://www.binghamtonlife.com/manual...es/91-16-2.jpg

Last edited by jackasssi; 01-01-2004 at 04:36 AM.
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 06:53 PM   #8
cvcc_wagon
AF Enthusiast

ball joints (and suspension for that matter) and hammers make me uneasy. be gentle and hope you wont need an allignment or even worse damage it so much that an allignment wont fix it