Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 05:00 AM   #16
bob2231
AF Newbie

Re: 95 Towncar Speed Control

It turned out that the servo under the hood, and the wiring ring inside the steering column had both gone bad. It totalled about $500, and 350 of that was the ring. Since that's kind of expensive, maybe you should take it and have it checked to see exactly what's wrong in your case. If you buy electrical parts and end up not needing them you usually can't take them back.
bob2231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:57 AM   #17
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSlider
Hi Towncar! The names Pete.

Hi Pete !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2231
It turned out that the servo under the hood, and the wiring ring inside the steering column had both gone bad.
Ditto!!

If you've gone through all the obvious checks, Bob has some insight (and spent the $$) that may lead to your cure as well.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #18
CNYSlider
AF Newbie

Hey Steve,
Thanks for getting back to me, just one thing though before spending the $$$ for the servo, where's the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) you mentioned and how to check it? That or since everything else "Seems" to be working, then the VSS isn't the issue??? Please let me know. Thanks! Pete
CNYSlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:18 AM   #19
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSlider
Hey Steve,
Thanks for getting back to me, just one thing though before spending the $$$ for the servo, where's the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) you mentioned and how to check it? That or since everything else "Seems" to be working, then the VSS isn't the issue??? Please let me know. Thanks! Pete

Hey Pete,
A thought just occured to me, you don't have the Factory Service Manual....
I can send you the 1996, official CD Version, of the Ford Factory Service Manual for your Town Car (and every other 96 ford, lincoln, mercury car) free. All I'll need is a mailing address in a >>> PM <<<

I'll look up that VSS in a few hours, I'm just getting up with a sore back
Old 06-09-2006, 06:55 AM   #20
bob2231
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towncar
Hey Pete,
I can send you the 1996, official CD Version, of the Ford Factory Service Manual for your Town Car (and every other 96 ford, lincoln, mercury car) free. All I'll need is a mailing address in a >>> PM <<<

Is there any way you could send that to me as well ? I grew up with GM and still have to guess a lot with the Lincoln.
Bob
Old 06-09-2006, 11:52 AM   #21
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2231
Is there any way you could send that to me as well ? I grew up with GM and still have to guess a lot with the Lincoln.
Bob
Sure thing Bob !
The your Dad's 1995 and my 1996 Service CD's should be 99.9% compatable.

All I'll need is a mailing address in a >>> PM <<<

I'll send out the copies as soon as I get that mailing address. One CD is the 1996 cars, and the other is the Systems, EVTM, Recalls, Wire Diagrams, ETC. I also have the printed version which is identical in information supplied. Both CD's need to be 'installed' seperately, the GUI calls for the appropriate CD when an option is selected from the icon bar or menus.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:32 PM   #22
bob2231
AF Newbie

I sent the PM Steven. If it doesn't get there, let me know and I'll send it again. I appreciate the help.
Bob
Old 03-18-2007, 05:19 PM   #23
Rags37
AF Newbie

Talking Re: 95 Towncar Speed Control

Hello Folks, A newbie here, but after reading the thread I feel right at home. I am having the same problem with my 97 TC. I have checked all fuses, all OK, All other buttons on steering wheel work, speed control on dash comes on after pressing the on button, but will not activate in any mode. Press off button and speed control light will not come on. Cable is connected in both places. Took the lid off the box under the hood, which told me nothing. You talked about a brake light switch not working 100% where will I find that bugger. You mentioned a CD for a manual, would it cover a 1997 TC also. If it would I would like to obtain one. Don't expect it for free. Can't seem to locate a cruise control module on line anywhere, do you have a source? Thanks for any information you can provide. Feel like i'm .

Quote:
Hey Pete,

Rags37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #24
bob2231
AF Newbie

Well Rags, I hope you have better luck, but it was a couple things wrong with my Dad's car. There was an actuator inside the steering column, and a solenoid under the hood. All together, about $600.
Your best bet would be to pay to have it diagnosed, and then decide if you're up to the repairs yourself. Anything to do with the column involves the airbag, so you have to know if you can handle that plus the wiring of the ring.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #25
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags37
....You mentioned a CD for a manual, would it cover a 1997 TC also. If it would I would like to obtain one. Don't expect it for free....
Hello Rags37

I can help you get a 1997 Factory Service Manual in CD format.
If you have a good Internet Service speed, you can get one online, if you use dial up for Internet, I would be happy to send you the CD's.

Just send me a PM (private message) with the link above and we'll go over your options. No charge my friend, we're all in this together
Old 03-18-2007, 09:37 PM   #26
Rags37
AF Newbie

Quote:
Hello Rags37

I can help you get a 1997 Factory Service Manual in CD format.
If you have a good Internet Service speed, you can get one online, if you use dial up for Internet, I would be happy to send you the CD's.

Just send me a PM (private message) with the link above and we'll go over your options. No charge my friend, we're all in this together
I have Charter Broadband 5 it should download rather fast. You are a gentleman and a scholar Steven. Thanks a bunch.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:15 AM   #27
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I have Charter Broadband 5 it should download rather fast. You are a gentleman and a scholar Steven. Thanks a bunch.
Well, in that case download directly from >>> here <<< ; the CD is coming to you in a Zipped ISO format. The zip size is just this side of 197mb, unzips to around 300mb.

The ISO can be burned to CD, or you can make your PC believe the CD's in a drive using one of the many CD mount softwares. Personally I have all the CD's I want on my hard drive, then I mount (sounds kinky) the one I need to access.

The CD has to be available to run the program, either physically or virtually.

So, grab your copy at the link herein, and give me a shout if you need help with it.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:04 AM   #28
Rags37
AF Newbie

Quote:
Well Rags, I hope you have better luck, but it was a couple things wrong with my Dad's car. There was an actuator inside the steering column, and a solenoid under the hood. All together, about $600.
Your best bet would be to pay to have it diagnosed, and then decide if you're up to the repairs yourself. Anything to do with the column involves the airbag, so you have to know if you can handle that plus the wiring of the ring.
I think you may be right Bob, I had somewhat the same problem with the 95 Merc marquis and they had to replace the control unit. Cost me $85.00. Not sure what the TC will cost. But I can't stand not having something work the way it is suppose to. Rags
Old 03-19-2007, 09:39 PM   #29
Rags37
AF Newbie

Quote:
Bob what solenoid under the hood are you referring to??
Old 03-19-2007, 10:13 PM   #30
bob2231
AF Newbie

Quote:
Bob what solenoid under the hood are you referring to??
I really don't know Rags, I'd have to ask Pops. I just know that the column parts were about $300, not counting the $100 part the dealer broke getting things apart. And the Under-hood parts were about the same.
I'll have to ask him if he has hos receipts around anywhere.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car