Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 11:44 PM   #1
ivanm
AF Newbie

Angry Wrong oil in tranny and transfer case-help

Hi, and thanks for reading this-up front!
Jeep GC, 1993 V8 5.2l, automatic, quadra-trac-AWD:
When I went for my oil change to XY-Lube, they told me that I need transfer case oil replaced too-they inspected and topped off all fluids. 3 months and 3000 miles later my transmission and transfer case broke. Took it to the servise and they found that in the transfer case xy-lube tech put GEAR oil instead of ATF Mopar fluid. They also found GEAR oil in the tranny. (I checked the receipt from the XY-lube and it states that gear oil was put in the transfer case. For tranny they stated "full"-but I don't know if they toped it off). The tech from the service that repaired my tranny and tr.case, explained to me, showing the parts, that the gear oil busted the bearings and polished the clutches and the band. As the bearings broke the geared shaft and the inner gear on the planetary mashed-grinded each other till they started slipping or "missing". Tranny was full of metal particles that came from them. So I had to have trany and transfer case rebuilt and tourqe convertor replaced. They explained to me that gear oil went through the hollow shaft (that is sticking out of transfer case and goes into panetary in the tranny) into the tranny. And that gear oil eat gaskets and o-rings (they showd me one that was half melted) and leaked into the tranny.
I called XY-Lube, and after calling back and forth, they send somebody to inspect the broken parts. he wrote a statement stating that cause of the failure was breakdown of the tourqe convertor that sent metal particles through the system, that clogged the channels for the oil/flid that caused clutches to overheat.he also stated that transfer case is lower then tranny, that is a completly separate unit and that there is no chanse that gear oil from tranfer case got into the tranny.
I've seen broken parts and my tranny and transfer case dissasembled, and what service tech is telling me makes very much sense to me. Can somebody, with expirience with this tranny, tell me which story makes more sense? Maybe those guys at XY-Lube topped of trany with gear oil-I don't know.
It looks that I'll have to go to small claim court to straighten this up. I'll basicaly have to "prove" that wrong oil has damaged teh tranny and transfer case. I can/will ask the tesc from the service to be a whitness, but other party will have an "automotive expert" stating he dis "CSI" thing and that he found whatever his report says BTW, car has 170,000miles, and tranny was rebuilt at 140,000miles.
Does anybody have diagrams or good pictures of this transmission and transfer case that can email me? (imaric@broadbandinnovations.com)? Any instructions or links where I can find expert explanations what happens with tranny and transfer case when gear oil is put instead of ATF fluid?
Thanks! And sorry if I used some wrong terms or names, English is not my first language
ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 05:30 AM   #2
Cam7
AF Enthusiast

It seems the Quick Lube really screwed up. They dont always hire the best people and some hardly with little knowledge of Automotives. A recourse to small claims is to go to one of your local TV Stations that do Investage Fraud or people who Rip other People Off. Almost every station has one. The Lube place wont want the bad publiticy. What probally happened was the Tech or so called Tech grabbed the wrong hose and filled your Tranfer Case and Trans with Gear oil instead of trans fluid which caused the failure. Cant send diagrams of trans my scanner is down. I hope this Helps.
Cam7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:49 AM   #3
ivanm
AF Newbie

Re: Wrong oil in tranny and transfer case-help

It is even possible that they have a wrong fluid listed for jeep GC 93. As computer generated receipt stated gear oil instead of atf fluid. I talked with dealer, and they told me that almost "every different year model" of GC uses a different oil in transfer case.
Thanks for your advise. I'll send an email to local "troubleshooter". Talking about diagrams, if your scaner will be down for a while, is it possible that u fax them to me, or make a copy and mail me? i'll compensate it for you.
Thanks
ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:51 PM   #4
CapeFear562
AF Newbie

Re: Wrong oil in tranny and transfer case-help

hopefully my two cents will help, first your tcase and your tranny are two completely seperate units and fluid cannot pass between the two. but as you stated they could have topped off the tranny and contaminated the fluid. The np249 tcase require ATF III mercon/dexron fluid to function, so they are at fault there because gear oil interrupts the ability of the Viscous Coupler to lock up and promotes its premature failure. hope this helps
CapeFear562 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8