Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Odyssey
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
GMCjet52
AF Newbie

2002 Ody fuel smell.

I have a fuel smell inside the van, can't figure out where it's coming from. I don't see any leaks. It appears to be coming from the rear of the van. The harder I drive it the worse the smell gets. Any suggestions?
GMCjet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
wiseguy01
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2002 Ody fuel smell.

check your fuel filler hose especially if you live in the east the salt that eats the metal up like a hot knife in butter just crawl under the van where you put gas in maybe the hose and or metal hose is damaged
wiseguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
GMCjet52
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy01
check your fuel filler hose especially if you live in the east the salt that eats the metal up like a hot knife in butter just crawl under the van where you put gas in maybe the hose and or metal hose is damaged
You're right, I sniffed around that area of the gas tank a few days ago, there was a strong gasoline smell.

What metal hose are you talking about? All I seen was a rubber filler hose.

I'll jack the van up again and check it out.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
wiseguy01
AF Enthusiast

the rubber hose is part of the fuel filler hose and where it connects to the gas tank thats the metal casted part of the hose who knows maybe you or a previous owner ran something over never know these days and also look and see if you see any weird black boxes under in that area cause if so then maybe your fuel evaporative canister is probably no good when the fuel evap can gets saturated it tends to emit or smell like gasoline its main job is to catch all the gas that evaporates and put it back through the combustion process aka smog related or you know when you rake the gas cap off and you hear that hiss noise when you go to fill up well thats the pressure that the evap can is supposed to catch and reburn so after you look and let me know what you see ill do some digging around and see where your can is supposed to be
Old 02-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
GMCjet52
AF Newbie

The filler hose looks good. I removed it today, the metal inside the tube on the tank and where the other end of the hose go looks perfect, no corrosion at all. I checked the hose really good for holes, it's good.

There is a small box on top of the tank, is this the box you're talking about? I still smell gas fumes where the filler hose attaches to the tank, in the general area.

Also, the van is giving me a OBD Code of p1456, which is an Evap fault. I guessing this has to do with the fuel smell.

Is it time to drop the tank?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
wiseguy01
AF Enthusiast

just a heads up always mention trouble codes if you have them they can make diagnosis alot easier

P1456
EVAP Emission Control System Leak Detected (Fuel Tank System)

you might have a leak in the fuel tank check and make sure there are no hole in your tank also if the gas cap isnt secured all the way til it clicks then this troublecode will come up make sure gas cap is not cross threaded
im also thinking you might wanna try replacing your gas cap first
Old 03-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
di11on
AF Newbie

You might wish to change your fuel filter. If it been awhile since the last change, you may have a flow issue which can raise the pressure in the line before the filter and cause "weeping" from various fittings. It doesn't take much of a leak to notice gas fumes inside the vehicle.
di11on is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Odyssey