Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 05:28 PM   #1
danny8630
AF Enthusiast

Question Other purchases with new WRX

here's a list of small items that i plan to buy right after i get my Wrx.

1) BOV --- will it void the warranty?
2) Turbo Timer ( i'd like for my turbo to remain as one)warranty?

and i have a couple questions....: 3) does the BOV dump ONLY on a shift or can you Rev it up and hear some release?

4) what item(s)/proceedures can be done to hear the whizzing of the turbo more louder?
danny8630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:30 PM   #2
Diesel2NR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Diesel2NR Send a message via Yahoo to Diesel2NR
Zach (best friend) has the dealership put a TurboXS BOV on his Rex, and it didn't void the warrenty. I see a lot of 04s on Cardomain with turbo timers installed, and I woudln't think that all of those people would just void their warrenty, but I would check with your dealership just to make sure.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:16 PM   #3
ragnarok720
AF Enthusiast

Remove intake silencer and add a CAI. Add a boost controller and boost up to about 15lbs, you'll really hear the turbo. I should record mine, its really loud when i take it to the track.
ragnarok720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:45 PM   #4
danny8630
AF Enthusiast

I read some posts saying that CAI's had made the MAF go nuts and the car wouldn't run....any full-proof intakes that work well with the Rex? And r u sure the motor could handle 15lbs? I heard anything over 13 or 14lb could be dangerous for a stock motor.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:00 AM   #5
shi shi bog
Banned

Re: Other purchases with new WRX

get a 3inch exhaust system from the turbos back
pod filtre well anything then stock then you would be able to hear it
shi shi bog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 08:16 AM   #6
ragnarok720
AF Enthusiast

had this wrx for over a year, race it at the track and nothing yet. I heard 16lbs and up = detonation to hell. My car is in great running shape. CAI's dont really help performance, at least not proven. The harmfull ones are the ones that just smash air past the MAF cause they have tubing that is too large. The AEM CAI has the same size tubing as stock airbox so unless the air is colder, it wont run too much more air.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:36 AM   #7
danny8630
AF Enthusiast

ooh, weather year round down here is 75-100 degrees. a CAI would be kind've pointless unless used only during winter haha. anybody have any experience with the Greddy Profec B(or something)?
Old 07-30-2004, 02:51 PM   #8
ragnarok720
AF Enthusiast

I have that boost controller, why whats up? Its a good controller, hell of a lot better than a manual boost controller. I have mine hidden in my ashtray. It's the blue thing.

Old 07-30-2004, 07:21 PM   #9
danny8630
AF Enthusiast

ohh nice, so what all does that thing do..and is it worth the $$$$$
Old 07-31-2004, 04:38 AM   #10
ragnarok720
AF Enthusiast

It raises the amount of boost your turbo produces. More boost = more power. With it you can regulate just how much it puts out, before getting one makes sure you get a boost guage so you can read how much you're pushing, dont want to blow up the motor lol.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:37 AM   #11
scottb2004
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to scottb2004 Send a message via Yahoo to scottb2004
bov, turbo timer, turbo psi

i have read a couple places that you really don't even need a turbo timer because the WRX's turbo is water cooled it cools itself down after the car is shut down. turbo timers, i've read, are mainly for oil cooled turbos, but it's definately not going to hurt it. i have a turbo timer on my 02 wrx.

yes the bov will dump if you just rev it up. the loudness just kind of depends on which bov you get. i have a blitz bov and that's pretty loud.

as for a boost controller, i started looking at those when i first bought my WRX, and the more i've read the more they don't sound as safe as reflashing your ECU or getting the Cobb AccessPORT. manual boost controllers work but you have to be careful with them because the tend to produce turbo creep and that's bad. most electronic boost controllers can regulate that turbo creep. and definately get a boost gauge, if you get a boost controller, or even if you're changing anything with your boost. i've read a few places that 15.5 - 16 is pretty much the max you would want to go with the stock turbo. you can get a bigger turbo and run more with other mods, but i think that's a little more than you're thinking about doing. am i right?

i would go with the Cobb AccessPort. that thing is awesome performance wise, seems really safe, won't void your warranty because you can put your settings back to stock, and Cobb tunes all Subaru so they know what they're doing.

well anyway, i hope this info. has been helpful.
scottb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 05:25 PM   #12
danny8630
AF Enthusiast

Wow, thats awesome. I didnt know that the turbo's in the WRX were water cooled; i would still get a timer anyway because it makes sense to give it a small load after driving. AND im so damn excited that you dont have to switch gears to hear the dump. I plan on pulling up to school(yes, school, senior this year) letting everyone know that theres a WRX in the parking lot. How much are those Cobb tuners and how easy are they to use? they sound more useful that a ECU flash. Thanks for that lengthy response.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:37 PM   #13
kichigaijap
AF Regular

danny8630 - A BOV actually works with both boost and vaccume... It releases only when there is not enough boost to hold the piston closed. This is to ensure that there isnt a boost spike that can eventually damage both a turbo or the engine. Basically when you shift you stop creating boost which is why the BOV releases the air. when you just rev the engine you would hear a blow off too. just to answer you question
kichigaijap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 10:31 AM   #14
speedphreak
AF Enthusiast

on a wrx a bov isnt needed until around over 16.5 psi. If you get it, your just gonna get noise...it wont really serve a purpose unless your really boostin. Ive got a 03 sedan wrx its got engine wise ....aem cai, gt spec v1 header, invidia bellmouth dp, blitz nur spec catback, and a blitz sbc-id @ 16.5 psi..have never had a problem with stock bov. Sorry just dont want any one wasting money. Your better off buying a boost controller first.
speedphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:59 AM   #15
ragnarok720
AF Enthusiast

Um a bov is always necessary. The car comes stock with a bov its just silent. There is no need for a loud one but who the hell cares, they sound sweet. BOV doesnt hinder hp or give it to you so it really doesnt matter when you get it unless you have a shitty stock bov. Most can handle 100psi or more anyways.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport