Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Not alot to do with Zs but does deal with cars.

In Ontario California they are crushing cars invovled in street racing, or suspected of being invovled in it. I find this disturbing, more so because they are also making some of the convicted watch their cars get crushed, on top of the other fines and jail time they are slapped with. I think its cruel and unussual punishment. They are even impounding cars that look like they have been modified. But oddly enough it seems they have only impounded imports and compacts. No real muscle cars or big blocks. I am going to call the city hall there sometime this week and ask some questions about this. As it stands right now I think I only have half the picture. But the half have doesnt look good for the other half.

Seeing I am on a rant about things invovling modified cars. I find it odd that it seems... no not the word I am looking for, IS that cops always pull over modified import cars before they even bat an eye at a domestic. I mean drive by a cop at the speed limit in a gear lower than normal with your exhaust not a bit louder than normal, and I am sure he will follow you if not stop you for something stupid. This is multiplied if your vehicle is modified with a exhaust, rims, wings, body kits, or any thing that makes it different. From my experiances I have seen cops pull over cars for illegal exhaust, or sitting to low aka- illegal modified suspension (headlights sit lower than 22"), to your car looks like a car invovled in a street race. Yet the police avoid pulling over Harley Davidson Bikes for loud exhaust, and I cant tell you how many times I have been deefend by a Harley sitting at a light next to me just "harley-harley-harley" away. Or having a lifted truck with a 12" lift roll by with flags hanging from poles in the back of the bed of the truck and 33" super swamper tires kicking rocks the size of Getro Metros at cars as the chug by. Did you know there are laws against that modification too, a vehicle cannot sit higher than so many inches at the headlamps from the ground. It seems the police choose to ignore this law too because they all are rednecks too (regaurdless of their race)?

I think it shouldnt be illegal to lower your vehicle, after all you wont hurt someone else if you hit them in your car. You will only hurt yourself. But if I were rolling down the road in my 8" lifted F350 Super Duty with a bald eagle in the rear window, and my rebel flag hanging from a pole in the bed and a pair of giant brass balls hanging from the lowered trailer hitch, with the 33" super swamper tires. Happen to hit the same car (say a stock Minivan) I would kill everyone inside because my front bumper is sitting at window level, not at any part of the vehicle that is designed to take a impact. So I would be thinking, that, that would be attempted manslaughter to drive a lifted vehicle on the street, and driving a lowered vehicle would be attempted sucide. Hmm.... I think I could deal with the loss of a friend because he killed him/herself in their vehicle that they built and loved, because they hit another vehicle, then dealing with a friend who went to jail for killing a family of 4 on their way home from the movies because my truck avoided all of the safety systems in that vehicle by just going over them.

I am interested to hear what you all think about all this?

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:50 AM   #2
Yaggus
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Yaggus Send a message via MSN to Yaggus
Re: Not alot to do with Zs but does deal with cars.

Crushing Cars?? Thats taking it a bit too far.

Over in Western Australia we have the 3 strikes rule. Get caught doing stupid shit and they will take your car off you. Stupid shit being burnouts in a public place, racing, speeding by over 40kms/h....

Caught once they impound your vehicle overnight

Caught twice they impound your car for a month or a week, i cant remember

Caught 3 times they can take your car off you for good. But no one has ever been stupid enough to be caught 3 times but I find it highly unlikely that they would actually take someones car off them without any compensation. People would challenge them in court over if they are allowed to do it.

From what I gather from what you have said, they are impounding cars that look modified?? How does that work? I mean if we have illegal mods on a car we get a yellow sticker on our car and have to take it over the pits to get everything cleared and make sure the whole car is roadworth. Its a pain in the ass.... As for the lowered part, we have to have 10cm clearance (4 inches for you yanks) under the car at all points. They just get you to drive over a 10cm ridge and you find out soon enough if your car is too low from the horrible crunching noise...

But taking your car off you because it looks modified or if they suspect that you have been racing?? wtf... Thats dodgy.

It's funny though. I actually hear of and see more locally built cars getting pulled over and confiscated than I do imports. Probably because dumber people buy local cars and therefore do more stupid shit in them... It also depends on what your attitude is like when you get pulled over. I have been pulled over in my imports before and as long as they can tell your not a smart ass you should be fine. If your a dick about it like quite a few ppl are, then they will take to your car with a very big legal stick and start throwing fines at you like confetti. Imports to attract more attention than local cars because they are quite often flashier looking than the plain old locals. But yeah provided you dont do stupid shit in stupid places they you're generally fine. I do stupid shit quite often. But not anywhere that other people generally are.

Sucks to hear that they appear to be turning a blind eye to the domestics where you are. That sort fo selective bias blows. Car racism blows!!!
TT Mitsu GTO ------| Apexi AVCR, Dual 2 1/2" Exhaust, T3/T4 turbo, BOV
--------------------| Lowered King springs, Bilstein Struts & Shocks, Whiteline swaybars, Cusco Strutbraces
--------------------| 17" Advanti Rims, Kenwood Stereo, 94+ Tailights

K3:i have had this itch... the itch to bang a somewhat chunky girl... like i want it to jiggle a little
Yaggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

they're dreaming... apparently it's just some powerhappy senator that's trying to pass a bill that's completely ridiculous... that article was written by who knows and with absolutely no solid proof, about some rantings by some dude, and everyone took it to be as fact..
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Actually Del-Z in socal they have done this a few times already. Its on the books in Ontario California. I looked it up.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Update- I called the city hall in Ontario Cali, and was transfered to the street racing task force person, Cpl. Higgins (I think thats how you spell his name.) I left a message on his voice mail. And then called back to talk to someone at the police department about it. Talked to someone there who explained that the cars getting crushed were actually crushed becuase of stollen parts found on them, but not only because of there invovlement in street racing. But she couldnt volenteer any more info on the subject because she was not privy to that info. And that I would have to talk to the cpl. in charge of the street racing task force for Ontario California. I will try back today sometime and try and give another update a bit later.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)