Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
chronomafia
AF Newbie

1997 Ford F-150 4.6L Triton V-8....tapping noise

The truck has less than 85k on it and within the last year it has developed a slight tapping noise on the top side of the engine on the passenger side. I have ran a computer diagnostics and it comes up with:
P0300-Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0153-O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (B2 S1)
P1151-Lack of HO2S21 Switches Sensor Indicate Lean
The Check Engine Light is on constantly and sometimes it will flash 4 times then stay on constantly again.
Could someone tell me if the tapping is related to the fouled O2 sensor or what it possibly could be?
chronomafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:56 AM   #2
reekor
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1997 Ford F-150 4.6L Triton V-8....tapping noise

How old are the spark plug wires, see any lightning comming off of them in the dark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronomafia
The truck has less than 85k on it and within the last year it has developed a slight tapping noise on the top side of the engine on the passenger side. I have ran a computer diagnostics and it comes up with:
P0300-Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0153-O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (B2 S1)
P1151-Lack of HO2S21 Switches Sensor Indicate Lean
The Check Engine Light is on constantly and sometimes it will flash 4 times then stay on constantly again.
Could someone tell me if the tapping is related to the fouled O2 sensor or what it possibly could be?

His, 96 Limited, 5.2 Magnum, Magnaflow CatBack System, HID Head & Fog Lamps, 242 T-case swapped , Rear Trac-Loc. Chrome grill added to match the wheels.

Hers, 96 Limited I6, 242 T-case, HID Head & Fog Lamps.
reekor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
hambone35
AF Newbie

I had one do the same and had the same codes. We went through everything and amongst some brain storming, we figured it out. We carefully inspected the rocker arms and found that we had two weak lifters. Had to buy the whole set but we only replaced one side. Ran like a charm. We haven't had any more problems, no light and no codes. If you find that is your problem, I still have the remainder of those new lifters.
hambone35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
reekor
AF Enthusiast

You changed lifters on a 4.6L?????????????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone35
I had one do the same and had the same codes. We went through everything and amongst some brain storming, we figured it out. We carefully inspected the rocker arms and found that we had two weak lifters. Had to buy the whole set but we only replaced one side. Ran like a charm. We haven't had any more problems, no light and no codes. If you find that is your problem, I still have the remainder of those new lifters.

His, 96 Limited, 5.2 Magnum, Magnaflow CatBack System, HID Head & Fog Lamps, 242 T-case swapped , Rear Trac-Loc. Chrome grill added to match the wheels.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
chronomafia
AF Newbie

The spark plug wires may be as old as the truck is. I am not sure how old they are or if they were ever replaced. I am going to replace the plugs today and see if it helps the truck. It started studdering and having a small lope at idle.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
reekor
AF Enthusiast

Bad spark plug wires will do that.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronomafia
The spark plug wires may be as old as the truck is. I am not sure how old they are or if they were ever replaced. I am going to replace the plugs today and see if it helps the truck. It started studdering and having a small lope at idle.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
chronomafia
AF Newbie

Just letting you know....
All the stupid codes and everything were from the fang spark plugs and wires. I replaced the plugs after 3 hours. It was a pain trying to get the wires off/ The truck ran beautifully. Only draw back was the wires kept popping off on the #2, 7, and 8 plug. I messed with them and they literally exploded in my hands. I had to yank the ones off my 93 Mustang to get the truck going for the next 2 weeks. It runs good now, but need new wires. LOL $75 for all 8

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series