Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Grand Marquis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 09:16 AM   #1
MercCougarXR7
AF Regular

Red face Generating interest for the Marquis

Hey all - I'd like to say hello to anyone with a Marquis that visits this area. I'm guessing that it's going to stay a boring dull area, but what the heck, eh?

2000 LS8 Sport, 1992 XR7 5.0 HO
MercCougarXR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 09:42 AM   #2
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
"So Nu, what do you know?"

..meaning, tell us something about the Marquis I'm sure we can learn from an owner of two.
Old 09-09-2001, 11:01 AM   #3
MercCougarXR7
AF Regular

Hey Igor!

Well, I only own one Marquis (my first, but certainly not my last), the 2nd Mercury is a Cougar . You wanted to know more about the Marquis? Here ya go :

The Marquis (GM) is the twin sister to the Crown Vic (CV), mechanical in all ways, but has a different nose and tail clip. Also, the interior is a bit more stately. The CV/GM has gone through very little changes in the last 20 years, as the 1981 CrownVic's platform (then known as the LTD) is still being used today, and at least up until 2007. By platform, I mean all suspension, frame components, steering assembly, and the axles and rear end. What has changed, is the body. From 1981 to 1991, the body was the same, except from some nose and tail clip changes. Also, the 5.0L engine was the standard motor for these cars, and a 351 was for the Police cars. Fuel injection happened in either 1986 or 1987, but the 351 remained Carburated until it was dropped at the end of the 1991 year. In 1992 the CV/GM changed into the bubble body. Square lines were smoothed, and made for a sleek aero dynamic design. Also, the 5.0L was dropped in favor of the new moduler engine - the 4.6L. 1992 was the last year for the AOD transmission, and halfway through the year, an electronic version of the AOD was implemented, and it was know as the AOD-E. Very little happened to the CV/GM platform (except a nose and tail clip remodeling) from 1992-1997, but in 1998 the CV body style was dropped, in favor of the GM body style. Note that all 1992-1997 CV's had a small window in their C pillar, and in 1998 the CV had no window in that pillar, it had the exact same body as the GM. Coming out on the 2002's, is a new option for the CV/GM's - an alteration of the existing platform. It features a 6" stretch (similar to whats done on the Lincoln TownCar Signature/Cartier L series), all for the expansion of the rear seat area - something that should have been done 20 years ago! Ford continues to use the anemic 4.6L for these cars. The 4.6L engine in itself is great, but just isn't enough for these cars - although, they started using the Mustang GT cylinder heads in 2001 on all their CV/GM's (these heads when ported and polished make for around 300 HP - check out www.crownvic.org , and specifically "TurboVic"). Being cars though, they have to conform to strict government regulations, and must meet certain fuel/emission requirements. So, no 5.4L for these cars yet. It's cousin, the Lincoln TownCar has a really nice trick up it's sleave for it's next body change (2004?) - a V12 ! That V12 is most likely developed from the Jaguar/AstonMartin or one of it's other car companies, but who cares - with a bit of work, that engine SHOULD fit into the CV/GM. One gentleman (in Kansas?) has already installed a V10 Triton engine into his 1997 Grand Marquis and has added NOS to it as well. With a little work, Any CV/GM can be transfered from a Granny car into a RoadRocket. Stock shocks are dropped in favor of Bilstein brand. Front springs are tossed in favor of the Police style shocks, or for that lowered look - F150 Eibach springs. Rear suspension is lowered merely by sliding a sensor - that is if you are blessed to have an LX/LS car with air suspension. Total suspension cost is about $600 USD to make your car handle like a BMW. Go power is made simply by changing the stock torque converter to a smaller diameter one, changing the rear end ratio from 3.27 to 3.73, and as earlier mentioned, the porting and polishing. Such mods can easily get the car into low 13's in the 1/4 mile, as opposed to 18s or more stock.

Class dismissed !

So, what'd ya think ?
Old 02-02-2002, 07:03 PM   #4
sjmorin2211
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to sjmorin2211
1987 grand marquis stereo install

Cant figure it out, Please help
sjmorin2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 11:55 AM   #5
coolrodz
AF Newbie

4.6 interchange

i have a 2000. what engine parts interchange can be used with this? ie: heads, headers, so on. is it the same as mustang??
coolrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 08:45 AM   #6
MercCougarXR7
AF Regular

Hey CoolRodz!

I think so, but I don't know much about interchangine.

Best check over on www.crownvic.net - you'll love the place .

Old 03-31-2002, 04:58 PM   #7
newwave
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to newwave Send a message via AIM to newwave Send a message via Yahoo to newwave
I have owned three Grands Marquis over the years... starting with this 1982 sedan, which I got as a bonus from my job:

Then this 1987 wagon, which I got for $250 from a guy who was desperate for rent money:

Then this 1987 wagon, which I got for $500 earlier this year:
newwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 03:05 AM   #8
87Merc
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 87Merc Send a message via Yahoo to 87Merc
Hey Merc! didnt expect to see a fellow CVN member over here... :sun:
87Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 05:43 PM   #9
MercCougarXR7
AF Regular

Hey 'Black Box' (???) !

Maybe I got the handle wrong...

Yep - fun place here, mainly the lounge is the fun area. Not too many GM/CV owners here. But hey, when there's CVN.....

Old 04-08-2003, 07:21 AM   #10
87MercMan
AF Newbie

The 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis was my first car when I began driving. I love that car. My dad sadly gave it away. I am currently working on restoring a 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis to ORIGINAL brand new condition. Someday I am going to put it into car shows. However that won't be for quite a few years from now. But I love the restoration work and I know that someday the 87 Merc will be a classic. The body styling is amazing. I love my merc through and through. All the new cars today look the same. The 87 Merc is very unique in it's body shaping. I love my Merc.

Merc for life,
87MercMan

p.s.-- I'm looking for pics of the 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis. I'd love to see some. Post them on this board if you have them. Let's all enjoy the wonderful world of Merc's!
87MercMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:16 PM   #11
ltd76gold
AF Newbie

Talking Whataride!

Just snagged a 99 MGM and am a Proud New Owner! Cannot believe what you can pick one of these machines for in $ terms.

Totally stock with 80k on the clock. Interior/Exterior at 9.75 on the tidy schedule. Just got done with a wipedown detail of the engine compartment, cannot believe that all of the goodies (some chromed) are stashed under the covers.

I'm thinking that a set dual exhausts are on the near horizon. Will I have to change anything in the computer? Thanks and I gotta say that the MercCougar ride is smokin'!

Doug