Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 11:17 AM   #16
dead man walking
AF Newbie

Re: F150 lifespan?

yeah rust depends on area you live in mostly, but save the headache buy ford
dead man walking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:21 PM   #17
who fan
AF Regular

Ford customers understand that Ford doesn't make more parts because the newer trucks are so much better than the old ones, it'll be worth the investment. That's why Ford parts are harder to get than the others, because Ford truck fans know the trucks are built to last and the upgrading is well worth it.

If Fords were built good you wouldn`t have to worry about parts or up grading. Last week I replaced a lock cylinder, now this week my ABS/brake light is on. Ford quits making parts after 10 years because they don`t expect the truck to last that long!
who fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:46 PM   #18
landyacht
AF Enthusiast

who fan, let me re-state something from the same quote you're arguing against me for.

Quote:
As far as 10 years go, are you aware that Chevy and Dodge make parts that go back that far because the problems with their older trucks are so common they don't dare stop making the parts?
The older Ford trucks do not have nearly the same kind of problems chevy and dodge do. That's why there aren't as many parts out there.

As far as your statement:

Quote:
If Fords were built good you wouldn`t have to worry about parts or up grading
If you have trouble finding parts for a vehicle, chances are the replacement vehicle is so much more advanced in technology, power, capabilities, etc. i think you're foolish not to upgrade. Considering the Ford truck has been consistently year after year #1 for 68 years in North America and 38 years globally, think about why they can say that and nobody else can.

On the second part of that quote, i'll tell you what. Find a Dodge or a Chevy or a Ford that is all original, that still does the demanding working jobs of today and will never 'have to worry about up grading' as you put it. It's not possible that a work truck is still all original after 20 years, no matter WHAT the manufacturer. So you can put that one right out.

- 305 cu inch (5.0L) small block V8 w/ 3spd auto
- 4 barrel carb w/ single exhaust
- No catalytic converter, no posi-trac

NEVER LOSE FAITH IN THE BOAT!!
landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 04:27 PM   #19
who fan
AF Regular

I wish I kept my 88 Chevy It had 188000 miles on it. I replaced it with a 93 Ford which has only 65000 miles on it. Ill tell you what was more reliable, Ill put my money on Chevrolet. Im just here to find helpful hints on repairing mine god knows I need this advice.

Maybe the 97 up Fords are good trucks, I had a 1980 with the 300 that I liked but my experence is the 87to96 are junk as far as reliability. I`m so POed at mine Ill buy A Dodge over a Ford. The new Dodge is the best looking truck on the road now IMO. Ford is way high in back and boxy despite a beautiful front end and Chevy has a butt ugly front end with knocking engines. Gm dropped the 350 WHY??? I would buy a Dodge If I had the means to upgrade.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:16 PM   #20
webhak
AF Newbie

I had an 86 Bronco that was the biggest POS I've owned. It was clean and well maintained, but was constantly having parts fail. Seems like the trucks built in the 80s had some serious reliability issues...including the '85 Chevy S-10 I had.

I'm hoping the 01 F-150 is better. Looking at Autos.MSN shows that it has a higher reliablity than Chevy and GMC.

I love the looks of the Dodge trucks...probably the best looking truck out there. I just hope Ford doesn't go the way of that gawdawful Chevy Avanlanche. The 2004 F-series seems to be a half-step in that direction unfortunately.
1980 320i (sold 2000)
webhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:30 PM   #21
who fan
AF Regular

Re: Re: F150 lifespan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhak
I had an 86 Bronco that was the biggest POS I've owned. It was clean and well maintained, but was constantly having parts fail. Seems like the trucks built in the 80s had some serious reliability issues...including the '85 Chevy S-10 I had.

I'm hoping the 01 F-150 is better. Looking at Autos.MSN shows that it has a higher reliablity than Chevy and GMC.

I love the looks of the Dodge trucks...probably the best looking truck out there. I just hope Ford doesn't go the way of that gawdawful Chevy Avanlanche. The 2004 F-series seems to be a half-step in that direction unfortunately.
I agree 100% Its nice to see someone with a unbiased opinion. I`m not brand loyal or think a certian make is best because thats what I drive. Personal experience tells the story.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:26 PM   #22
M3FordBoy
AF Regular

First I live in MO in the suburbs near St. Louis there is plenty of rust here. Second the truck i discribed was a '91 with 300 I6 motor very reliable, and had the original belts untill the 200k mile mark when they were replaced(never broke)other than that only the clutch and things have bean changed once. And the truck is still driven nearly every day.
M3FordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:00 PM   #23
landyacht
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
webhak
You'll be just fine with your '01.

For those that would rather buy the Dodge, well, you'll understand why i say the things about Dodge that i do when you've had it for a while. Especially since those trucks pass everything but a gas station.

- 305 cu inch (5.0L) small block V8 w/ 3spd auto
- 4 barrel carb w/ single exhaust
- No catalytic converter, no posi-trac

NEVER LOSE FAITH IN THE BOAT!!
landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 11:03 PM   #24
gergs
AF Newbie

I have a 94 Extended Cab 5.0 F150 and she just rolled to 170,000 miles last month.
Only things I've had to do to her since owning it with 85K- new paint job (just for fun), new battery, tires (normal), brakes (normal), and a starter. Oh, my passenger window just decided not to roll up today, but no big deal there.

Good luck!
gergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:54 PM   #25
wafrederick
Banned

My father's clean up guy that cleans up my fathers shop is getting close to 300,000 miles.It is a 1991 f150,2 wheel drive with the 300 cid inline six.He abuses this truck by over filling it when hauling hauling scrap metal in and it has been a very good truck so far.Only thing he had to do it is get the transmission replaced once.The 2001 and up Dodge fullsize trucks are 100% ugly.The front end looks like a Mercedes Benz.The new body style Durangos and Dakotas are ugly for the same reason.The front ends look like a Mercedes Benz,those stupid @#$ Germans that took over Chrysler
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:13 PM   #26
RedLightning
AF Enthusiast

I haven't had it for too long, but my 93 just keeps going. Only thing it really needs is new rear springs. Though it really wants some boost. Oh, and it has 99,432 miles on it, which is pretty low, but theres Lightnings over on NLOC.net with 200,000+ and still going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustmAce
Real emo kids kill themselves.
RedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:26 PM   #27
LTJGWorth
AF Regular

I had a Dogde (can you tell from my picture) and I loved it. It was a 97 and I had it up until last Novemeber when a dumbass BFI garbage truck driver hit me and totalled it. I did do a lot of work on the truck during the 3 years I had it. But it had a Chrysler 5.9L engine and it ran great. The truck had over 100,000 miles on it and still had more power than I ever used. Let's see, at about 118,000 miles I changed water pump, fuel pump, and throttle position sensor. I also had to do some repair to the vaccume lines that didn't affect the engine performance. Now i've got a 00 F-150 supercab 4.6 V8 that I've had since December. So far it's doing alright, although I'm having some problems with it hesitating and the dreaded door lock problems that seem to plauge these trucks. It's quit on me twice, and hesitated really bad getting on the highway once. So I don't know. It's all a matter of opinion. So far I'm undecided on which I like better, Dodge or Ford. I really miss the power that 5.9L made, but I love the positrack that my Ford's got. It's all up to the buyer. A vehicle will last forever if it's taken care of. Sure, you'll have to replace a lot of crap, but it'll still be there.
LTJGWorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:32 PM   #28
steve11
AF Regular

i had a 1989 F25 with 351 5 speed, just rolled over 225,000 miles, very good condition. I bought a 2001 crew cab yesterday with 5.4 L, 4 x 4 auto with 125,000. looks great, runs good, needs both front lower ball joints is all i can see. Hope it last like the 89.
steve11 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series