Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 07:46 PM   #1
DirkG
AF Newbie

Angry '84 cherokee wont idle when cold and blows black smoke

My Jeep ran great until I parked it for a while. I had just put a motor in it with 50k on it and a reman carb. Something was causing it to die after it warmed up but would run fine once restarted. I needed to drive something that got more than 15mgp (its a 2.5l) so I parked the jeep and drove it only a handful of times in 3 years. I just moved and when I went to move the jeep it ran great and I had no problems with it. Then a month later I went to go drive it again and it would die whenever I put it into gear. I tracked it down to the break booster. At least that was most of my problem. In the mean time I thought it might be a carb problem. I ended up completly screwing the carb up. Now when its cold the thing blows out tons of black smoke, wont idle at all and barely moves when I try to drive it. I know it is at least running rich, so I turned what I thought was the mixture screw all the way in. That made it a little better. I've also screwed up the idle at warm and cold temps trying to get it to idle when cold. It still wont idle at cold but now it idles at 2500rpm when warm. That makes it VERY hard to come to a stop! What do I need to do to fix this? I called up jeep, they want $200 to look at it. I can chuck the carb and put on a new one for $50 more than that but I dont want to.
Can someone please walk me though what I need to do to tune this carburetor? It cant be as hard as I am making it can it?? There is only one mixture screw and two idle screw that I can see.
DirkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 06:08 PM   #2
Dale Aeppli
AF Enthusiast

Re: '84 cherokee wont idle when cold and blows black smoke

SEND ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS & I'LL SEND YOU INFORMATION. THE CARB YOU REFER TO IS A THROTTLEBODY IF YOUR ENGINE IS A 2.5--4 CYLINDER. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE VACUUM LEAKS. EMAIL DIRECTLY jeepman600@aol.com
Dale Aeppli is offline   Reply With Quote