Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
woscarr
AF Regular

Cool Just did the plugs on my 02 Silo... Eeeooouchhh!!

Man oh man what a nightmare that almost turned out to be ! A really long story a little shorter.. The gm originals the tips (platinum tip spark plugs) were almost worn away to nothing but other than that looked to have normal wear for being in there for over 250k.

Cylinder #1 took me a day and a half to get the plug out. It broke free did a couple turns then binded up like it was being tightened again !? In the end I had to work it out 1 turn at a time. I found it came out easier when the metal was cool. Get two three turns back and forward then it would bind up again wait a half hour and it was loose again, lots of pb blaster too ! AND what a spot to work back there ! Coil packs off engine rotated forward enough room to have a party back there now !? NOT!!

I put in NKG's Laser Iridium the best ones they had and new wires. THere was a noticeable difference at start up. Definitely smoother less ticking, still on the stands as I'm replacing a strut too (warranty).

I also had to replace the front passenger side brake line. It runs behind the engine on the firewall. It runs really close to the exhaust manifold and has protector wrapped around it, well the line rusted away to nothing inside this protector tube. Talk about luck eh! I had no braking issues before, I might of slightly bumped the line while reaching up there and drip drip... I made new heat shield and we have brakes again.

So like pretty well ever other poster on here who has ventured into the dreaded uni-body/3.4l abyss says... Am I glad I did it YES! Would I do it again HECK NO!

Well maybe
Cheers
Wayne.

Last edited by woscarr; 04-22-2012 at 04:25 PM.
woscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Just did the plugs on my 02 Silo... Eeeooouchhh!!

Hate to say it, but hope you don't have any problem with the NKG's....... engine runs better when you stick to AC-Delco plugs......
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
woscarr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Hate to say it, but hope you don't have any problem with the NKG's....... engine runs better when you stick to AC-Delco plugs......
Well I'll cross my fingers on that. They are identical to the OEM's only with Iridium which is supposed to be harder/stronger than platinum. On rockauto they are more expensive than oem's.

And the ol' delco's weren't doing so well in my silo, but 250k I guess I can't complain.

First thing I noticed was a slight ticking sound I use to be use to hearing was no longer present it seems. Smoother running warm up. I'll have her off the stands this week and see how she drives.

We'll keep ya posted..

Cheers.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by woscarr View Post
..I put in NKG's Laser Iridium .. and new wires.
..for any improvement, the new wires are probably dominant. however, when I did mine, the plugs were in for something..
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...=DSCN3108s.jpg
Old 04-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
woscarr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
..for any improvement, the new wires are probably dominant. however, when I did mine, the plugs were in for something..
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...=DSCN3108s.jpg
Ya I'll have hope for the best there also..

I ended up getting the second most expensive set at Rockauto. Autolite 30 bucks next was the Delco's at 50 a set, both 7mm wire sets. Hey I almost got the Bosh set ! Some research told me to stay away from them tho..

Those are some nasty looking plugs ! Mine weren't that bad just the tips/ wider gap newer type plugs with needle point tip.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Ditto on the Delco's.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
woscarr
AF Regular

Well so far so good. Noticeably smoother. Fuel economy on the rise according to fuel computer.

I'm satisfied with the results thus far..

Over the years I've replaced many a delco part with a aftermarket and had no headaches or nightmares to recall, only a heavier wallet !

I've owned 10 Gm's, 1 Chrysler and 1 Ford in my lifetime thus far..

Cheers!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
OldSilo
AF Newbie

Replaced my original plugs at 5 years and 60K miles due to fear of not being able to remove them at 10 years. Good for you on getting them out without breaking one.

Everything on this van makes me appreciate the simplicity and reliability of my inline 4 cylinder Mazda.
OldSilo is offline   Reply With Quote