Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
DOUGLASNC
AF Newbie

Bad power steering or rack?

Hi, I swaped out the power steering pump because van was hard to turn all the suddon...This was a re-built pump from Advance Auto...It;s worse now than before I changed it out.Wont hardly turn left with out straining to turn the wheel.Could it be a bad remaned pump, or is my rack going bad?Had it jacked up and turned both way's ok trying to bleed off any air...But get it off the jacks and you cant hardly make it turn..Hardest to turn left...Thanks
DOUGLASNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Bad power steering or rack?

If it turns easy one way and hard the other, you have a bad rack. The pump does not care what direction to turn. Also, I have had nothing but problems with the cheap reman gears and pumps. I would recomend going with Delco stuff if at all possible.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
DOUGLASNC
AF Newbie

Thanks GMTEC1,It was the rack,and now i'm having problem's hooking up the steering shaft. Has a rubber boot covering the shaft and getting the shaft to insert back into the upper shaft(the one hanging down with the curved spring thingy) is being a pain.Will try to insert it again tomorrow if I can get some help turnning the steering wheel ever so gently to get both shaft's in-line...That spring thing appears to set on the step on one side of the shaft and insert I think...Just hard to get every thing inline and jack sub frame up at same time...Thanks again!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
LMP
AF Enthusiast

..maybe not really relevant ..but knowing model year is more fun...

A forum member recently bought a rebuilt rack with the shaft installed 180°off...causing the steering wheel to be upside down... In any case always compare side by side ALL details before installing. ALso, replacement often have different sensitivity..

I swapped mine a few years ago and the replacement needed...and still needs more steering torque....different spring rate in the control valve makes the difference...and you know about this only after it is installed...but left and right are the same in my case.

ALso..I had tried for some time reinserting the shaft in what I though to be the exact position...while in fact it turned out I was 1/2 turn off. As soon as I dared to try on the other side, it fell in place right away...but yes, having a helper at the wheel is a must...

..I think I raised the subframe from the max 4 inches needed to extract/insert the rack up at least 2 inches, maybe more, before inserting the shaft ....mine is '93.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
DOUGLASNC
AF Newbie

Sorry LMP, It's a 99 model...Will try inserting it the other way.Thanks for you'r advise!Nice of you to clue me in on this shaft in-stall part...
Old 11-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

The trick to the U-vans is the rubber boot that covers the shaft......you have to clean and lube it so that it slides upward and inside the other boot.....the helps to give you room to attach the intermediate shaft bolt.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette