Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 11:45 AM   #16
guru98
AF Newbie

Re: Car won't start all of a sudden...

You have a hot wire that is grounded some where in your sterio install.

Remove any wire harness or parts that you may have installed. I once used small screws to fasten the sterio mounting bracket to a car and the tip of the screw just penitrated the sheath on a hot wire causing a fuse to blow.

After you remove everything you added then make sure you put electrical tape over any bare wire.

Replace your fuses and try to start.

good luck.
guru98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:51 PM   #17
arvin_m
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru98
You have a hot wire that is grounded some where in your sterio install.

Remove any wire harness or parts that you may have installed. I once used small screws to fasten the sterio mounting bracket to a car and the tip of the screw just penitrated the sheath on a hot wire causing a fuse to blow.

After you remove everything you added then make sure you put electrical tape over any bare wire.

Replace your fuses and try to start.

good luck.
Yes I was thinking the same, but he says his CD/radio works fine in the accessory position, so if there is a short in the CD/stereo then it should also blow a fuse...the fuse blows when he turns to ignition position...so there is some short some where else...

My question would be, when the car does not start... does the CD/radio still work in the accessory position?
arvin_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:05 AM   #18
guru98
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvin_m
Yes I was thinking the same, but he says his CD/radio works fine in the accessory position, so if there is a short in the CD/stereo then it should also blow a fuse...the fuse blows when he turns to ignition position...so there is some short some where else...

My question would be, when the car does not start... does the CD/radio still work in the accessory position?
I agree, but like I experienced before, my wiring for the sterio was perfect but a screw that I put in to hold the frame that the sterio locks into, just pierced a wire unrelated to the sterio enough to short out a fuse, mine was the climate control on a jeep that I own'd.

Definately knowing if the cd/radio still works after the car doesn't start would tell you if it is related to the radio wiring harness.
guru98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:11 AM   #19
arvin_m
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru98
I agree, but like I experienced before, my wiring for the sterio was perfect but a screw that I put in to hold the frame that the sterio locks into, just pierced a wire unrelated to the sterio enough to short out a fuse, mine was the climate control on a jeep that I own'd.

Definately knowing if the cd/radio still works after the car doesn't start would tell you if it is related to the radio wiring harness.

Guru98,

yes the piercing into wires is a strong possibility, you are right it may have pierced some other wire in the harness which is grounding something and blowing the fuse of that circuit...so removing the CD player completely with all the other hardware including the mounting screws and then checking to see if some wires are pierced and taping should fix the problem...
arvin_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:48 PM   #20
tomogchi
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tomogchi Send a message via MSN to tomogchi

And on the regals, i believe all the wiring is run through the passengers side of the firewall. If he installed the cd player in the tape slot, there is a possibilty he didnt peirce a wire, he could of had the cd player possibly catching a postive wire, (and not showing stress marks on the case) and it just sheared itslef on the idside, (like kinking a garden hose if you will) or just cut a large majority of the positive wire to weres its not sending the correct amperage through, causing a fuse to possibily pop ( i think it could happen....)
and to get rid of the whole stereo thing. Remove the radio fuse in the glovebox, i believe its only a 10 amp fuse. then the radio idea can be shot or worked on..... (maybe)
Bill
tomogchi is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal