Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Suzuki > Vitara
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 03:30 PM   #1
iborange
AF Newbie

4 whel drive problem?

I just bought a vitara 5door 92 and i'm not sure what the problem is with the 4 wheel drive. When i put it in 4WD and turn left its like driving with the breaks on. Also not sure whats with the power steering as cant steer from lock to lock with out it going heavy.

Any help greatly appriciated

PS how would i get an owners manual for it ?
iborange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:13 PM   #2
Zelp
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Zelp
Re: 4WD problem?

I have noticed the same problem on my 2000 Grand Vit, especially in reverse. It is like the power steering turns off in 4WD!

I tried looking all over the place for an owners manual also with no luck.

Anyone who can help us, please submit reply.

You can catch me cruising in a
Silky Silver 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX, 5 spd manual, 4x4
Liquid Gray 2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE
Zelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:06 PM   #3
iborange
AF Newbie

If anyone would be able to take the time to scan the owners manual could they PM me so i can give them a email address to send it to. This is the only thing i can think of I still cant figure out the problem with the power steering though.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:14 AM   #4
getsky
AF Newbie

4 wheel drive is ONLY for off road

Hi,

I've joined the forum so that I can (hopefully) give you some advice about your 4 wheel drive problem. I presume that you have been driving in 4 wheel drive mode on dry tarmac? Your wheels are locking up when turning corners because the Vitara does not have a central differential between the front and rear axles and the transmission is locking up as the front wheels travel further than the rear wheels. You must not drive in 4 wheel drive mode on dry roads. You will damage your transmission. I am not an expert but I saw this in a 4x4 magazine and realized that I was doing the same thing (on my '93 Vitara). This should be more emphasised to all Vitara owners. Hopefully we haven't yet done too much damage.
getsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:21 PM   #5
Zelp
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Zelp
Re: 4 wheel drive is ONLY for off road

I have flipped it on a few times on dry pavement, but that was during the test drive to make sure it worked. The other times I have used it so far are in heavy rains and driving on gravel roads in the country (even when they are dry I kick it on for increased traction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsky
Your wheels are locking up when turning corners because the Vitara does not have a central differential between the front and rear axles and the transmission is locking up as the front wheels travel further than the rear wheels. You must not drive in 4 wheel drive mode on dry roads. You will damage your transmission. I am not an expert but I saw this in a 4x4 magazine and realized that I was doing the same thing (on my '93 Vitara). This should be more emphasised to all Vitara owners. Hopefully we haven't yet done too much damage.
That actually makes sense, thanks for taking the time to join and post that detailed reply.

I owe you, probably a tranny!!

You can catch me cruising in a
Silky Silver 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX, 5 spd manual, 4x4
Liquid Gray 2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE
Zelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:56 AM   #6
iborange
AF Newbie

Re: 4 whel drive problem?

Thanks getsky. Now i know And zelp i too stick it in 4WD when its wet bcos it definatly stops the back end stepping out which happens on my 5 door too

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Suzuki > Vitara