Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

WIP: Tamiya 1:12 Yamaha Virago XV1100

Guys,

well here goes my first attempt at building a bike, I've chosen this bike as I just liked the look of it, plain and simple. It looks different to all those modern sports bikes you see these days and I also like the idea of putting a rider on.

I was intending to build this OOP however I have managed to get some fantastic detail pics of an XV1100 and therefore I couldnt resist, this wont be as detailed as my last project the Ferrari F310B however I should be able to make improvements here and there on the basic kit.

As for the main colour, Im a little unsure as yet however I do like the basic Yamaha maroon colour on the box so I may stick with that. Im also tempted to scratch some panniers for it and maybe give it a light weathering as though the dude riding it has been travelling along the dusty tracks of the US for some time, we'll see where we go with that one. I'll get some starting pics up as soon as I can and hope you enjoy the thread and another build from me :-)

Sean

http://www.scalereproductions.co.uk
Old 09-17-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
gpz900ra7
AF Regular

Re: WIP: Tamiya 1:12 Yamaha Virago XV1100

I've just finished building on of those bikes and enjoyed every minute off it, I hope you dont mind but here are a few pictures of the one I built, they might just give you some ideas.

I'm sorry if this looks like I'm highjacking your thread but there isn't enough bikes being built at the minute so the more the better.

Shaun.

Last edited by gpz900ra7; 09-17-2006 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Double picture
gpz900ra7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

very nice Shaun, looks like a bike built by the Teutels from OCC! Really like your design on the tanks and mud guards too. Mine will be much less custom than your fine effort but hopefully will be equally as impressive, thanks for the pics.

Sean

Old 09-17-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
gpz900ra7
AF Regular

Cheers Sean, just make sure you post plenty updates to keep us bike nuts happy,.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:09 AM   #5
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Go ahead and start it so that we can get some nice shots of the progress!
/Joel
Old 09-18-2006, 03:32 AM   #6
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

OK, off we go again!

Here's the model Im building...

I followed the instruction manual in terms of build order, I put the frame together including the battery compartment, this needs to be a slightly duller black but it was easier to put all these together and spray them as a whole, I will simply add a coat of clear matt over the battery once it is dry. I also built the main engine block along with the main add ons, these were both the cleaned up to remove the mould lines and then given a couple of coats of primer, the frame sprayed gloss black and the engine matt aluminium.

Once dry, the engine was then given a light wash with matt black, just to give a little more depth and as I dont want it to look brand new and too shiny. Once this is dry I will add a little dry brushing with polished alum just to bring out the highlights. Finally, I added the clear matt to the battery compartment and the left it all to dry.

As I said I have a good collection of pics of this bike and having studied the engine shots, although the kit is very well detailed there are a couple of addition that need adding, here are my ref pics.

I have added a small hole to the kit block which i will add a large nut/bolt to, there are two metal lines which run to each tower from this (Im not motorcycle minded however so not sure what this is) and I will add these with thin metal wire.

Finally for now, I also put together the rear mudguard with light, I have left this on the sprue for now so I dont need to handle the chrome finish too much, there are a couple of small bolt heads need adding to the back light and then this is finished.

thats it for now, more soon.

Sean

Old 09-18-2006, 04:03 AM   #7
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Nice finish on that tail light, is it hand-or spraypainted?
/Joel
Old 09-18-2006, 04:39 AM   #8
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwideqvist
Nice finish on that tail light, is it hand-or spraypainted?
/Joel
Joel, just a couple couple of thinned coats of Tamiya Clear Red, I find that out of the pot its a little thick and leaves the dreaded paint brush marks sometimes.

Sean

Old 09-18-2006, 07:06 AM   #9
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

Final update for the day - off to work now :-(

I have decided to re-do the battery compartment, the kit mold is very basic and as you can see from the ref pic below there is a alot of detail in this area. Firstly I removed some of the moulded battery from the kit part;

I then scratch built a battery but only the top half, the rest simply wont show and I dont believe in making more work for myself than I need to. I used plas-card for this.

I will add red and black + & - leads to his along with a couple of terminals and a row of little yellow caps, this should look quite nice if I can keep it all neat and tidy and will vastly improve this area.

Here is a pic of what Im trying to replicate;

thats it for today, more to come soon though.

Sean

Old 09-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #10
Spike123
AF Regular

Looking good so far, nice idea with the battery.
Spike123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:04 PM   #11
Ole_L
AF Regular

Great start... I'm looking forward to see this one unfold.
Ole_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:56 AM   #12
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

OK, this mornings update so far, spent a cheeky hour when I got in from work (at 1.00am) finishing the battery, the black lip and the two silver terminals are just made from plastic bar, the yellow caps are small lengths of cable, the top was drilled to take each cable. I added a little red on the sides to immitate the battery's branding.

This all fitted quite nicely into the space under the seat and although a little tricky and fiddly I managed to get this to stay in place using a spot of CA.

I will add a couple of cables to this once it is set in place.

I have also add the two metal lines which lead from the base of the engine to the top of each tower, I think these maybe an earth although Im not sure a petrol head on here can correct me.

thats is for now, more this morning though.

Sean

Old 09-19-2006, 03:21 AM   #13
gpz900ra7
AF Regular

The 2 lines from the heads to the crankcase are oil return lines, looking really good so far, keep it up.

Shaun.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:08 AM   #14
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

new update,

not a massive amount of progress thanks to work commitments, however I have managed to get more of the engine assembled and I also completed detailing the scratch built battery with leads and terminals.

Apart from the oil return lines I havent added anymore extras as yet, I have been impressed with how detailed the kit is compared to the real bike pics I have. There are a couple more additions I want to add but I think the motor is almost finished.

I have dulled the polished chrome with a little thinned matt black and also ran a slightly thicker mix into the recesses where the bolts are to add a little depth.

I dedided not to use the clear yellow for the gold colour on the engine as per the instruction as I think it looks far too bright, instead I thinned some enamel gold and used that instead, personally I think it looks much better, I have a few more parts to paint so it should look better once complete.

Ok here's the pics so far, Im just spraying the wheels at the moment so they will be the next update, the tank is also assembled and primed awaiting a top coat.

more to come soon-ish!

Sean

ps. finally managed to recover my files and update the website too!
SeanyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #15
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Very nice so far! This is a cool bike, with the motor hanging off the front of the frame and all. Very, very cool, very clean and detailed work. Keep it up and keep sharing! Please!

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes