Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
osylith
AF Newbie

My 74 Nova custom hatchback.

Im Changing this post to be more like a status of the work i do on my nova.

I just bought a 74 nova hatchback. for 3,000 Ive already replaced a thermostat gasket, brake light switch, and secured the hood scoop better. I have a quick question maybe some one could answer. Where you screw the oil filter in there is a hose, that's kinked but the hose goes right in the same area like a V. The fact that there is a bent hose kinda make we worried. anyone know what that hose might be, ill put some pictures up of my new nova.

Update..
The Thermostat is leaking again! replaced the old one before with a 15$ aluminum one. When i looked at the engine there was some coolant leaking from the gasket! Should i use some silicone ? the gasket was solid didn't think i needed any. There is now a ticking coming from the engine. I put new Weatherstripping on the doors. The tail lights were leaking water into the trunk. I looked everywhere online and at auto part stores for the gasket but no one had one. So i used some weatherstripping adhesive. looks shitty but after the rain i will clean it up and keep looking for the gasket.

Last edited by osylith; 02-05-2009 at 04:00 PM.
osylith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: Oil filter

Its been a long time since I worked on a Nova this age could post a picture of the hose?
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
osylith
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor
Its been a long time since I worked on a Nova this age could post a picture of the hose?
i think i figured out what it is. a oil cooler that has been disconnected. Where you would connect the 2 hoses they just connected 1 to both ports.. instead of just removing. finding lots of things in the nova that are easy to fix yet they didn't. Like gaskets for the lights which have rusted out the trunk pan.

here are some pics, none of the bad stuff just the nice outside haha.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
NOVAZ27
AF Regular

Hello. I had a 73 nova hatchback that had the water in the trunk problem.
Gm fixed the taillights still a leak. Found the problem to be under the rear window moulding. The hatch was flexing under the rear window causing the metal to fatigue. Small cracks in the recycled metal + water = rust thru. The car was only 3 years old at the time. Hope this helps.

John in belton
novaz27
NOVAZ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

The oil cooler may be needed by the transmission or was it used for the engine? I would figure this out before plugging holes and removing the hose.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
osylith
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAZ27 View Post
Hello. I had a 73 nova hatchback that had the water in the trunk problem.
Gm fixed the taillights still a leak. Found the problem to be under the rear window moulding. The hatch was flexing under the rear window causing the metal to fatigue. Small cracks in the recycled metal + water = rust thru. The car was only 3 years old at the time. Hope this helps.

John in belton
novaz27
Thank you. I Also found alot of water leaking through the rear window. I also found the water accumulating where the trunk pan doesn't meet the rear fender. which is causing it to rust from the inside out. . Was it the rear window gasket/ weather stripping that needed to be replaced?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
osylith
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor View Post
The oil cooler may be needed by the transmission or was it used for the engine? I would figure this out before plugging holes and removing the hose.
hmm maybe, i'll have to check because there is a transmission cooler connected to the transmission. Its raining alot in California, making it hard to work on the nova.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
NOVAZ27
AF Regular

HELLO. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, SOLD THE CAR IN THE EARLY 80s. THE REAR WINDOW WAS GLUED IN JUST LIKE THE WINDSHIELD. THATS NOT THE PROBLEM. THE WINDOW CHANNEL WAS RUSTED THRU ALLOWING WATER TO COME THRU. WATER MIGRATED DOWN THE HATCH BETWEEN THE INNER & OUTER SHEETMETAL. NEVER DID DRIP STRAIGHT DOWN. THE RUST THRU WAS CAUSED BY THE FLEXING OF THE HATCHBACK & POORLY ALLOYED RECYCLED SHEETMETAL. DURING THE EARLY 1970s ALL THE MAJOR AMERICAN MANUFACTURES STARTED USING RECYCLED SCRAP METAL IN THEIR NEW VEHICLES. THAT IS WHY YOU DO NOT MANY SURVIVORS FROM THAT ERA. ESPECIALLY FROM COASTAL & RUSTBELT AREAS OF THE COUNTRY.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

JOHN IN BELTON
NOVAZ27
NOVAZ27 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova