Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
pkratchman
AF Newbie

Replace Rear Wiper

The rear wiper on my 2004 Ford either fell off or was stolen. The female cap on the replacement arm fits over the male piece on the car. There doesn't seem to be anything that would keep the arm from falling off.

Maybe it's just pressure from the wiper blade that keeps it on.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Otherwise, god forbide I'll have to call the dealer.

TIA!
Paul Kratchman
pkratchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
highlandlake
AF Regular

Re: Replace Rear Wiper

Hello Paul, welcome to AF.

I have a 2004 and just went outside to see what mine looks like.
Although I'm not sure exactly what might be missing on yours, the arm on mine is held on with a clip. That clip appears to nest inside the female socket on the arm. I'm talking about the socket that is on the arm closest to the attachment point on the rear door, and this socket fits over the splined motor shaft. Hard to describe I know.....but perhaps you can go to any new or used dealership and take a close look at an Escape on their lot.
You'll see the clip I'm describing.
I haven't had to remove the arm on my '04 but on other cars I've owned I had to use a flat blade screwdriver to release the spring tab to get the arm off. This one looks very similar in design.
So, I'd recommend going to a used parts place, or as a last resort the dealer to get a new full arm assembly.
Let us know how you made out. Good luck.
Tom
GMC S-15 4WD
'57 Chevy 210 post sedan
'51 Ford F2 pickup
Recently gone but not forgotten - 68 Chevelle, '97 Rodeo V6 4WD.
highlandlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
65comet
AF Enthusiast

The Ford dealer near me wants $35.00 for a new arm that fits an 02' Escape. The problem with mine is I can't get it off. Road salt has corroded it on, and, gunked up the pivot so that it won't keep pressure against the window. I've tried every spray and solvent anyone can think of. Giant channel-locks while someone else made sure that the slide clip was up out of the way. Gave it as much pull and twist I could before I thought the window might break. Even lightly heated with a torch.
Whenever I get the new one I'm going to take a drill and sawzall to the old one after I see just how deep I can go without damaging the nub. My advice to everyone is to take yours off and coat it with anti-seize while you still can.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
Johnny Mullet
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet

You have to cut it off. I have had to remove a few of these this way because of the corrosion.

Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid