Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 02:15 PM   #1
jonmar
AF Newbie

CRV AC - am I getting ripped off?

My AC stopped working last week on my 2003 CRV. Honda said it was likely a thermoswitch, which they changed. Then they indicated I also needed a coil and that while they were doing the work they should change the clutch assembly as they noticed it was worn and would likely stop working within a week to a month. Problem is, when changing the clutch assembly, they warn me they 'could' break the post that attaches it to the compressor, doubling the cost of the repair, since I would then need a new compressor as well. They say that they cannot predict whether the post will break until they try and that it all depends on the level of wear and tear on it. The parts are on back order and I have my CRV for now. The AC does not currently work although this thermoswitch was changed. I am supposed to bring it back when the parts arrive. Does all of this sound correct? Am I being paranoid? Thanks for any help.
jonmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:50 PM   #2
lorunner
AF Enthusiast

Re: CRV AC - am I getting ripped off?

just to let you know. when a part like that goes on backorder on a relatively new car it usually indicates that there is a problem with all the parts and they are trying to correct it. The last compressor we pulled out of a newer CR-v actually grenaded and sen metal through out the system. If the thermo switch didn't fix the problem then i bet a coil and clutch will either. it probably blew the compressor up. If you bitch enough and call american honda maybe they will help you out with the repairs.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
dactivant
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmar
My AC stopped working last week on my 2003 CRV. Honda said it was likely a thermoswitch, which they changed. Then they indicated I also needed a coil and that while they were doing the work they should change the clutch assembly as they noticed it was worn and would likely stop working within a week to a month. Problem is, when changing the clutch assembly, they warn me they 'could' break the post that attaches it to the compressor, doubling the cost of the repair, since I would then need a new compressor as well. They say that they cannot predict whether the post will break until they try and that it all depends on the level of wear and tear on it. The parts are on back order and I have my CRV for now. The AC does not currently work although this thermoswitch was changed. I am supposed to bring it back when the parts arrive. Does all of this sound correct? Am I being paranoid? Thanks for any help.

2003 CRV...no warranty left? If you are still covered by warranty, let them fix it. If you have no warranty remaining, you need to find a QUALIFIED AND REPUTABLE AC repair shop and immediately take it to them. Make sure they do a full check of the AC system and if service is required, make sure you get an estimate and understand the warranty.
dactivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
dactivant
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmar

2003 CRV...no warranty left? If you are still covered by warranty, let them fix it. If you have no warranty remaining, you need to find a QUALIFIED AND REPUTABLE AC repair shop and take it to them. Make sure they do a full check of the AC system and if service is required, make sure you get an estimate and understand the warranty. Get a couple of quotes from other shops to compare the price.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
jonmar
AF Newbie

No warranty left, I am a comuter. It has 92 000 kms on it. Would you suggest to go somewhere other than a dealership? Thanks.
jonmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:36 PM   #6
dactivant
AF Newbie

I personally would go somewhere besides a dealership. But you tell me that your car has many kms on it, which means you are probably outside the US. Therefore, you may not have as many choices for such repairs. I live in Texas and AC is a necessity here.

My own CRV compressor failed over a week ago. I was thinking about this when I wrote to you. I was trying to get some quotes for repairs at different shops and our Honda dealer. The pricing was so high, i decided to do the work myself. Sunday I completed a complete AC job on my 2001 CRV which has 80,000 miles. It took all day and cost around $645 US for parts and supplies. On top of which I had to employ a local auto part supply store to help remove the pulley bearing. The removal kit I bought to remove it did not work on the type of compressor I have. Technically, the job is not difficult, but it requires some specialized tools and a very good working knowledge of AC systems along with some elbow grease (hard work).

$645 vs around $1600 - $1800 at a dealer....
Old 10-03-2005, 12:56 AM   #7
xtina16405
AF Newbie

2003 CRV AC Rip Off

My A/C stopped working last week. I took my car to the dealer. My compressor went out completely. No warning or anything. Monday morning it was working fine. Went into the office for about 2 hours, got back in car. No A/C. The dealer wants $3100 to fix. From what I can see, this seems to be a common issue in the CRV's. Edmunds Town Hall has similar complaints. What a rip off! I bought this car for its reliability. It has 69,000 miles on it. Calling American Honda to see what they can do about it. No warranty left either. Very turned off with the CRV.
xtina16405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:04 PM   #8
dactivant
AF Newbie

Talking

Sux doesn't it? Can you do the work yourself? I found a mechanic locally whose price would have been $975. I figure that's a rebuilt compressor, new clutch and no additional A/C parts.

I did mine (took one whole day because I'm a novice at A/C work) and it cost me nearly as much with discounted parts from a dealer (my only source for new parts which I insisted on using) and the need to buy a tool or two....

But my A/C is now COLD!!!! Dealers SUCK! Getting ready to do brakes next. My '01 CRV has 81K. I live in Austin Texas.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:11 PM   #9
Dom.five
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dactivant
Sux doesn't it? Can you do the work yourself? I found a mechanic locally whose price would have been $975. I figure that's a rebuilt compressor, new clutch and no additional A/C parts.

I did mine (took one whole day because I'm a novice at A/C work) and it cost me nearly as much with discounted parts from a dealer (my only source for new parts which I insisted on using) and the need to buy a tool or two....

But my A/C is now COLD!!!! Dealers SUCK! Getting ready to do brakes next. My '01 CRV has 81K. I live in Austin Texas.

Call Honda !! 2 other owners of CRV's had the same thing happen to them. They bitched and honda Fixed the cars at no charge to them. You will have to make NOISE !!!
Dom.five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:15 AM   #10
dactivant
AF Newbie

Re: Re: CRV AC - am I getting ripped off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom.five
Call Honda !! 2 other owners of CRV's had the same thing happen to them. They bitched and honda Fixed the cars at no charge to them. You will have to make NOISE !!!

I guess I won't call them now. I fixed the A/C myself. New compressor and clutch, drier, expansion valve. It's working great now and I have the satisfaction of knowing that I can be self sufficient. I had 80K miles on it when it failed. That's way out of warranty.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V