Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 12:25 PM   #1
Overtime
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Overtime
Angry Need help with Passlock I

have a 97 Olds Achieva with Passlock I. Car works fine and the cylinder is in good shape, except for the little resistance generator, stamped 'MEXICO'. After finding out from the dealer it would be over $200 for a new lock cylinder (just the price of the part), I started researching remote start and bypass methods. I feel confident I could do this, however, I am unable to get valid resistance reading from the yellow and black pair. With the key off, I read 4.7K ohms and when on or started (runs for about 1 second), this is open, 95% of the time and 29.5K ohms, 5% of the time. When I do get a reading it starts at 29.5K and increases 200 ohms per second until the key is turned off. Can anyone tell me a valid resistance or a method for determining what my car needs?
Overtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 03:06 PM   #2
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Need help with Passlock I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtime
have a 97 Olds Achieva with Passlock I. Car works fine and the cylinder is in good shape, except for the little resistance generator, stamped 'MEXICO'. After finding out from the dealer it would be over $200 for a new lock cylinder (just the price of the part), I started researching remote start and bypass methods. I feel confident I could do this, however, I am unable to get valid resistance reading from the yellow and black pair. With the key off, I read 4.7K ohms and when on or started (runs for about 1 second), this is open, 95% of the time and 29.5K ohms, 5% of the time. When I do get a reading it starts at 29.5K and increases 200 ohms per second until the key is turned off. Can anyone tell me a valid resistance or a method for determining what my car needs?
http://directed.com/guides/manuals/i...555L_7-02B.pdf

Read this instruction for installing DEI part#555L. In the paragraph labeled "passlock system details" will tell you why you are reading all kinds of different things.

The problem with trying to bypass this system the way you are, parts like the 555L need to have a correctly working Passlock system in order to correctly work. Since you are having problems, I am not sure if this will work for you. You might be able to find the old part number 555t which you manually set the code.
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 04:04 PM   #3
Overtime
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Overtime
Re: Re: Need help with Passlock I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchonutty
http://directed.com/guides/manuals/i...555L_7-02B.pdf

Read this instruction for installing DEI part#555L. In the paragraph labeled "passlock system details" will tell you why you are reading all kinds of different things.

The problem with trying to bypass this system the way you are, parts like the 555L need to have a correctly working Passlock system in order to correctly work. Since you are having problems, I am not sure if this will work for you. You might be able to find the old part number 555t which you manually set the code.
Thanks for the reply. I am glad to understand what passlock does and how it works. It makes a bit more sense now. I do believe what I am trying will work, but I need a correct resistance value to make it happen. Anyone have even a range to work with?
Overtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 02:12 PM   #4
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Need help with Passlock I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtime
Thanks for the reply. I am glad to understand what passlock does and how it works. It makes a bit more sense now. I do believe what I am trying will work, but I need a correct resistance value to make it happen. Anyone have even a range to work with?
Nope, that's what I meant that you need to have a working system to get that code right well I think so anyway??? I have an entire fact sheet showing you how to measure and bypass the unit using a regular voltmeter, relay, and resistor. The only way that I could get this to you is probably by fax or maybe email. This would be very lengthy to be emailed but it should work. Email me at sgarberick@woh.rr.com
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 04:30 PM   #5
dzhali
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help with Passlock I

I found out simple way to disable the passlock1 prmanently. I did it on my Cavalier 96 and it works so far.
You can use it if ocasionally you are still able to start your car. All you need to do is to start the car (with your semidefective passlock sensor), and then disconnect the three wires plug (wires that run from the lock cylinder to the instrument panel) from the instrument panel while engine is running.
Engine will start the next time without any passlock "authorization", but "theft system'" light will stay on. If you do not like it, you can remove LED from the instrument cluster board.
I am not shure if the disablement will work after battery gets disconnected. Possible, that you may repeat it all over.
dzhali is offline   Reply With Quote