Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jaguar > XJ6| XJ8| XJ12 | XJR
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
XJ6| XJ8| XJ12 | XJR Classic and Current XJ Models, including the R series.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
Global Cortex
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Global Cortex
Exclamation 1988 XJS V12 Engine

Hey. I'm thinking about using an engine like this for a custom job as V12's are just awesome and these can be found at reasonable prices.

I was wondering if there are any reasons you may know about that I don't which would save me the time and effort if it weren't to work.

For instance, I see one on eBay for like $500 with 98k miles on it and a 30 day warranty.

Now, I'm looking at the XJS that year and it only has like 262 HP... is that right for a V12? I know this engine is a little different from one in the thread I was reading earlier, but that said that it was extremely hot and had problems with the timing belt tensioner, which wouldn't be as much of a problem in a custom job. Any input would be great.
Global Cortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
wayne64
AF Newbie

Re: 1988 XJS V12 Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Cortex
Hey. I'm thinking about using an engine like this for a custom job as V12's are just awesome and these can be found at reasonable prices.

I was wondering if there are any reasons you may know about that I don't which would save me the time and effort if it weren't to work.

For instance, I see one on eBay for like $500 with 98k miles on it and a 30 day warranty.

Now, I'm looking at the XJS that year and it only has like 262 HP... is that right for a V12? I know this engine is a little different from one in the thread I was reading earlier, but that said that it was extremely hot and had problems with the timing belt tensioner, which wouldn't be as much of a problem in a custom job. Any input would be great.
V12s make great tables, I put a V8 in my XJS as I was tired of the cost of parts. The car now gets better mileage, is faster and I can afford to own it with the 350 TPI engine.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:43 PM   #3
Global Cortex
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Global Cortex

Damn!!! That's a niceeeeeeeee table!!!

Okay, so is there no point to the XJS V12 whatsoever? It's nearly weaker than a V8? I read in a previous post it could be tunes to ~600 HP fairly easily... of course, that was slightly larger (6.1?) than the 5.3.

I'm still leaning towards the V12... I know, I've got problems. Anything positive about it? Other than creative tables.
Global Cortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
srpope80
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Cortex

Man, I've worked on these V12's for hundreds of hours and I didn't realize they had a timing belt???? =) I think you meant timing chain...
srpope80 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jaguar > XJ6| XJ8| XJ12 | XJR