Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > ZX2
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
Jkrueger1
AF Newbie

Engine Swap

Timing belt broke and valves/rods bent... Car had 81550 miles at time of engine failure. I purchased and exact duplicate of my engine with 18000 miles.

The problem I'm having is seperating the engine from the manual transmission. All bolts from the tranny have been removed. The dowls are out yet when attempting to hoist out the engine the tranny still insists on following. I've checked and see no torque converter bolts on the fly wheel when turning the crank shaft. Any help pls would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,

JKrueger
Jkrueger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Re: Engine Swap

With the torque convertor on, it will have to come all the way off the input shaft before the tranny will be free. Probably a few inches, at least. However thick the convertor is through it's center, that's how far it will have to seperate before they are free of each other.

Putting a support under the tranny to relieve the bind might help them slide apart easier...

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:45 AM   #3
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

It wouldn't suprise me to find out that it's designed that way (no torque convertor bolts) because the cars are assembled with the driveline as a complete unit.

It might not even be possible to seperate them while it still sits in the engine bay. Might have to come out as a complete assembly, then get seperated.

If so, you just gotta pull the driveshafts, linkages, and wiring, and unbolt the mounts. No biggie.

...empty gun rack.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Wow...old post.

What did you figure out??

...empty gun rack.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:51 AM   #5
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Crap. I just noticed you said torque convertor and manual tranny. Can't have both.

I'm assuming you mean pressure plate. Anyway, same deal, it'll have to slide all the way off the input shaft to come apart.

...empty gun rack.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > ZX2