Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter Bravo is the Australian vesion, Bounty the New Zealand version and Drifter the South African version.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
Tyrsson
AF Newbie

89 B2200 won't start

I bought a 89 B2200 from a friend of mine. It ran awsome for about a month, then died suddenly while driving. It was like I turned the engine off, without doing anything. Being a manual, I popped the clutch, and the engine just lugged, but did not turn over.

I had to let it sit for 24hrs, and when I got back. I checked the plugs, which were dirty. I cleaned them, and the distributor and rotor bug. It ran for a couple days, till I could get the parts replaced. I replaced the plugs, cap, and rotor bug. It ran for a couple days, then did the same thing.

I then replaced the coil and it ran great for 2 days, then did it again. I am getting 12volts to the coil, but nothing to the distrubtor now.

I believe something is shorting out my coil and frying it slowly. The coil was very hot after cranking it several times as I checked for spark at various places.

I am probably going to replace the coil again, as well as some small black module that connects to the block, and another module that connects to the body. Both of these connect the positive bracket on the coil (I thought this weird). The one to the body is a small silver rectangle box with a composite resin on one side. Inside I can see a capacitor, and several wires in the resin.

I want to get this fixed for good for I am tired of walking after it no longer gets spark.

Anyone have any ideas that I should check besides these three things? To make sure that it was wired correctly in the first place, I will be hitting a junk yard and checking several B2200's to see if they are wired the same from the coil.

Oh, one more thing. It ran fine for 3 years in arizona before I bought it. I was orginally from eastern washington.

Thanks for the help,
Martin
Tyrsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
toddluck69
AF Newbie

Re: 89 B2200 won't start

sounds like your ignition switch went bad(key switch)
toddluck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
Cusser
AF Regular

Re: 89 B2200 won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddluck69
sounds like your ignition switch went bad(key switch)
I was thinkin' the same....
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter