Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caliber
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
Yoder88
AF Newbie

Continuously Variable Transaxle II

if i buy a caliber with this Continuously Variable Transaxle II transmisstion how sporty would it be to drive? test drove a compass with this new transmisstion it's an odd feel. the only reason why I ask the wife can't drive a 5 speed. need to teach her so that I can just get the SRT4.
Yoder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
neon_rt
AF Enthusiast

Re: Continuously Variable Transaxle II

I've heard the CVT is more lame to drive than a regular Automatic that you can at least shift semi-manually if you want.
The reviews I've seen on the Compass/Caliber say that it would be better to have even an old 4-speed auto than the CVT. A five or six speed Auto with Auto-Stik would be great. I'm getting old so I may not opt for the Manual Trans in my next new Car. I don't want a lame CVT though.
If you want SRT4 in disguise, find a PT Cruiser GT (has same engine/transmission as Neon SRT4). If you have to have an automatic you can get a Cruiser Turbo Automatic, take it to the Dodge/Chrysler Dealer and have the Stage One upgrade kit installed. That will upgrade you from 180hp to 240hp (GT Crusier is 220-230) and it also changes that transmission shift program to a more aggressive/sports shift setup.
neon_rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
bennymetal
AF Newbie

Not sporty at all... I have an RT with the 2.4. It's pretty fun to use the autostick but gas mileage suffers. Even with the autostick I got punked by a Neon light to light...

I'm still looking for that guy with my Durango!!
bennymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
neon_rt
AF Enthusiast

The CVT has very lousy initial acceleration.
Almost anything can out run it in the first 40 mph or so.
They are coming out with a 6-speed version of the current 4-speed auto used in all of the FWD cars. I was hoping they would make it available in the Caliber. Then I would buy one.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
neon_rt
AF Enthusiast

The CVT has very lousy initial acceleration.
Almost anything can out run it in the first 40 mph or so.
They are coming out with a 6-speed version of the current 4-speed auto used in all of the FWD cars. I was hoping they would make it available in the Caliber. Then I would buy one.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
CoriolisSTORM
AF Newbie

I personally like the smoothness of the CVT, but it is NOT a performance oriented transmission. It limits torque from the engine from 0-15 MPH and then allows it to take off as wanted. I'm waiting one somebody to crack the CVT programming, and maybe add another gear to autostick, it seems to me that it is missing a gear after 6. When shifting from drive to 6 at highway speeds, the RPM's go up at least 1500-2500, maybe a 7th gear should be there? If somebody cracks their CVT, we might be able to do more with the engine and such as well.
CoriolisSTORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

To fully understand a "Continuously Variable Transmission" or CVT, I suggest at read at the following link:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm

Comparing CVT's to conventional transmissions is like comparing apples to oranges.

1962 Chrysler 300 2-door hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300-K convertible/1964 Chrysler Newport 4-door sedan/1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop with Firepower 390/2x1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300 convertible/1964 Chrysler "Silver 300-K" with factory 4-speed/1964 Chrysler New Yorker Salon/1980 Dodge D-50 Sport/1986 Lincoln Continental/1989 Honda Accord DX/1989 Lincoln Mark VII BB/1991 Dodge Shadow ES convertible
KManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
corning_d3
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to corning_d3

There is a PCM flash out for CVT owners complaining of poor acceleration. I can't tell a difference after the flash, though. I think the CVT is one of Chrysler's better ideas. The world engine, however, was not. Maybe they'll work the bugs out in a few years..

My god what an old thread...
Old 10-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
bennymetal
AF Newbie

Thanks for the heads up! Do you know if this is something that has to be requested or will the tech just do it?

The reason I ask is because I was in for an oil change last week and I thought it seemed a little peppy afterwards.... I dismissed it as my seat being a little closer and me mashing the accelerator harder... got me???

I'm definitely going to look into this,,,
bennymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:57 PM   #10
corning_d3
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to corning_d3

I believe it's a customer satisfaction bulletin saying to flash the PCM if the customer complained of poor acceleraction, so I doubt it was done during a LOF.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:37 AM   #11
Blazr2
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Blazr2

I have a 2006 RT with the 6 speed autostick.
In drive the car is lathargic. It's acceleration is very poor! So much so I almost got rear ended when pulling out on a road by a big truck! Even though I was 200 feet away from him!
I have learned to use the autostick with good results in accelerating when I need to. You have to get good with it in order to pass a semi with about 100 yards of sight ! I have got alot of compliments on the cars looks.
With 25K on so far I have had one front axle go bad, 4 Firestone tires go bad and 2 speakers. The car handles well with the Firestone Firehawks. It corners very well in the twisty mountain backroads!
Blazr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:22 AM   #12
Blazr2
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Blazr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazr2
I have a 2007 RT with the 6 speed autostick.
In drive the car is lathargic. It's acceleration is very poor! So much so I almost got rear ended when pulling out on a road by a big truck! Even though I was 200 feet away from him!
I have learned to use the autostick with good results in accelerating when I need to. You have to get good with it in order to pass a semi with about 100 yards of sight ! I have got alot of compliments on the cars looks.
With 25K on so far I have had one front axle go bad, 4 Firestone tires go bad and 2 speakers. The car handles well with the Firestone Firehawks. It corners very well in the twisty mountain backroads!
You have to learn to get good with the autostick
Blazr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:08 AM   #13
scoobytuff
AF Regular

The CVT makes for a good driver, not so much on performance. Thats what my S10 is good for, with a 383 stroker of course!
scoobytuff is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caliber