Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 10:14 AM   #1
swiftflo
AF Newbie

Angry Door mirrors.

I have recently had an argument with my garage door frame and have removed the nearside door mirror off of my BMW 323ci coupe. I have purchased a second hand one from a breakers yard, sprayed it to match and fitted it to the door. I find however that the replacement mirror has 6 wires and a flat connector on the end of them, the existing door mirror has 9 wires, and no connector, advice please on how to overcome this problem.
swiftflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 11:37 AM   #2
911GT2
AF Enthusiast

Well it looks as if you either bought the wrong mirror or a mirror off a BMW that had heated mirrors (assuming you don't).

Try finding a wiring guide (local dealership may be helpful if you can't find one on the net) and hooking up the necessary wires.

Proud member of www.automobileforum.com

Mod -www.autoworldforums.com
911GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 05:40 AM   #3
swiftflo
AF Newbie

Unhappy Door Mirrors

Thanks for your reply. I realized afterwards that that was the problem. My existing mirror was heated but the one I bought from the breakers was not. Will just have to either sort the wiring out for the one I bought or look for a heated one. I am not prepared to pay the local dealership price for a new one.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:11 AM   #4
911GT2
AF Enthusiast

Oh it's fine, you don't need to buy anything else.

Just tape up the wires used for the heater and connect everything else normally.

Proud member of www.automobileforum.com

Mod -www.autoworldforums.com
911GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 08:16 AM   #5
swiftflo
AF Newbie

door mirrors

Thanks again for your reply. I have noticed that the existing wiring in the door has 2 black covered cables and the wiring from the replacement mirror also has 2 black covered cables, does it matter if I get these black wires from the door wiring to the ones on the mirror crossed, will it only blow a fuse or will it not just work. As I said in my first email the 6 wires from the replacement mirror go into a small flat black connector, but at the moment I have not been able to locate a similar one so that I can fix one end to the existing wiring in the car door. Do you know if they are a standard BMW connector as our local dealership has never seen them before.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical